Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Default How to Swap in a 2019+ 7" OEM Apple CarPlay Android Auto Head Unit to a 12-17 Impreza

Back again. I've put a 2019 WRX MAP Button CarPlay/AA Radio in my 2013 Crosstrek, I've put a 2020 WRX MAP Radio into my 2016 WRX, and now today here is a guide to put in a 2019+ WRX 7" PHONE Button Radio into a 2013 Base Impreza.

My 2016 WRX CarPlay Post
My 2013 Crosstrek Carplay Post

End Result

This tutorial will be much simpler than the others due to the fact that the PHONE button radios do not use a Harman Kardon amplifier. The only complicated part was that 2012-14 Base Impreza's use a far different radio connector than the 2016+WRX/XV, 2013+XV W/ Nav, and 2014+ Impreza's use. The 12-14 Base uses two 20-pin & 16-pin connectors, and not the now standard three 28-pin, 10-pin, & 6-pin connectors. If not for that this would have been mostly plug & play. Still this should not deter you if you are handy with car wiring and a soldering iron. If not I hear that autoharnesshouse.com has started to build customer harnesses to get the CarPlay radios into older Subaru's so you could try them. The goal of this tutorial is to build a plug & play set of harnesses that require NO CUTTING OR SPLICING of the existing wires. The whole thing is reversible if ever desired.

Old Radio

For those that want to press forward here is what you will need for parts:
  • 2019+ PHONE Button Radio from a WRX 86431VA620 (with pigtails!!!)
  • 2019+ USB 2.1A Jack (with pigtail) 86257VA130
  • 2015-2021 WRX USB cable 86273VA060
  • 25ft. 22 AWG wire 4 different colors
  • 5ft. 18 AWG wire
  • WRX Headliner Antenna Wire 86325FJ940 (or Metra 40-LX21 antenna adapter)
  • 20-pin Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness
  • 16-pin Scosche CADSU01 Wire Harness
  • 15-19 OEM Subaru WRX STi Rear View Backup Camera w/ pigtail 86267VA510
  • Crosstrek Steering Switch Wire Harness 83154FL44A (if your radio did not come with pigtails)
  • Cheap SiriusXM antenna from ebay w/ SMP connector
  • Discount Car Stereo SUMI-XMA SiriusXM antenna adapter
  • 2016 Center Dash Vent Bezel 66110FJ050
  • Metra Harness 71-1761 (If your radio didn't come with pigtails)
  • autoharnesshouse 7" Starlink Headunit installation Harness for 2016+ Subaru vehicles with OEM 6.2" Starlink headunit (if you didn't get a camera or 28-pin pigtails)

Building the Harness:
Building the harness is basically a re-mapping job. You take wires from the 20 & 16-pin connectors on the 2013 Impreza side, and wire them up to the 28, 10, & 6-pin leads on the 2019 radio side. Below is that mapping as well as what each wire does. One of the shared wires for ACC will also need to travel to the center console USB jack. This is where the 5ft of 18ga wire comes in. I will also link the factory service manual pages at the end of this thread where I got my information from. I recommend soldering and heat shrink wrapping all connections so that they hold up.

2013 Car -> 2019 PHONE Radio

20-Pin No 1 -> 10-Pin No 10 (ILL+)
20-Pin No 2 -> 6-Pin No 5 (ILL-)
20-Pin No 3 (shared) -> 10-Pin No 3 (Acc)
20-Pin No 4 -> 28-Pin No 21 (STEERING SW1)
20-Pin No 5 -> 6-Pin No 6 (RL-)
20-Pin No 6 -> 6-Pin No 2 (RL+)
20-Pin No 7 -> 10-Pin No 6 (FL-)
20-Pin No 8 -> 10-Pin No 2 (FL+)
20-Pin No 9 -> 10-Pin No 8 (ANT)
20-Pin No 10 -> 10-Pin No 7 (GND)
20-Pin No 11 -> 28-Pin No 3 (Bright)
20-Pin No 13 -> 28-Pin No 22 (STEERING SW2)
20-Pin No 14 -> 28-Pin No 23 (STEERING SW GND)
20-Pin No 15 -> 6-Pin No 3 (RR-)
20-Pin No 16 -> 6-Pin No 1 (RR+)
20-Pin No 17 -> 10-Pin No 5 (FR-)
20-Pin No 18 -> 10-Pin No 1 (FR+)
20-Pin No 19 -> 28-Pin No 17 (SPEED)
20-Pin No 20 -> 10-Pin No 4 (+B)

16-Pin No 1 -> 28-Pin No 5 (MIC+)
16-Pin No 2 -> 28-Pin No 4 (VCC)
16-Pin No 3 -> 28-Pin No 28 (L SING)
16-Pin No 4 -> 28-Pin No 26 (R SING)
16-Pin No 9 -> 28-Pin No 19 (MIC-)
16-Pin No 10 -> 28-Pin No 6 (MIC DET)
16-Pin No 11 -> 28-Pin No 27 (R/L SING)
16-Pin No 12 -> 28-Pin No 25 (FRONT ON)
16-Pin No 15 -> 28-Pin No 15 (PARK BRAKE)
16-Pin No 16 -> 28-Pin No 2 (Reverse)

Harness pic before wrap-up:

Test fit before wrap-up:

Door Switch:
Since the 2019+ Radios have a new feature where they will remain on after the car has turned off until the driver door is opened you will also need to run a wire to your driver door switch. This is done by running a wire from pin-4 of the 12-pin connector (should be a single blue wire if you got pigtails with the radio, will have to harvest off the steering wheel switch connector if not) to the middle pin #2 of the door switch. This can be removed with a 10mm socket. If not done your radio will remain on for 3 minutes after each time you use it. You could also try simply grounding out the pin and I think the radio would simple **** off as soon as the key is off like the old radio did.

USB Jack
In order to use CarPlay or Android Auto you will need a 2.1A USB jack from a 2019+ Subaru. Remove the center console, pop the old out out, and pop the new one in. You will also need to de-pin the 8-pin harness that came with the new usb jack, as well as your 5-pin harness that's underneath the center console. If you clip the little tabs off of the 2013 connectors pins as seen in the pic below you can actually insert them into the 2019+ connector.

Here is a mapping for the USB harness. One important thing to note that @lukikosa pointed out is that for some reason in the 2020+ USB jacks Subaru changed the ACC Power Pin. On the 2019 jack it is pin#5. On the 2020+ jack it is pin#6. Why they did this I'm not sure but if you plug in your phone and get no power/connectivity give that a check.

2013 USB Harness -> 2019 USB Jack
20-Pin No 3 (shared) -> 8-Pin No 5 (2019) No 6 (2020+) (ACC)
6-Pin No 6 -> 8-Pin No 8 (L SING)
6-Pin No 2 -> 8-Pin No 7 (R SING)
6-Pin No 4 -> 8-Pin No 4 (FRONT ON)
6-Pin No 1 -> 8-Pin No 3 (R/L SING)
6-Pin No 5 -> 8-Pin No 1 (GND)

Make sure to also run the 4-pin grey cable (circled in green below) from the jack to the radio as the existing one has a different connector. No modification needed of this replacement cable.

Antenna:
There's not as much to say here. If you bought that roof harness you can un-clip the old antenna harness behind the radio down near the shifter and plug in the new one. This will have the double-pin white antenna connector (circled in red) that the new radio needs instead of the single silver pin connector like seen on older radios.
SiriusXM is easy as well. I put the magnet antenna on my rear roof, ran it behind the rear window trim into the trunk, then down through the trunk and along the passenger side floor/door trim, behind the glovebox and to the radio. You can use that SUMI-XMA adapter (circled in orange) to connect the antenna to the Blue Sirius port on the back of the 2019 radio.

Rear Camera:
The car did not have a rear camera installed so I wanted to add one. The camera itself clips right into the decklid though you will need to use some snips or a hacksaw to carefully remove the cutout blank from the trunk trim. Using the pigtail on the camera, and the pigtail on the radio, simply run 4 wires from one pigtail to the other matching the correct color end on each side. You will need quite a bit of wire to go along the underneath of the decklid, down one of the arms, past the rear strut, along the side floorboards, up into the front dash, and to the radio. You can always coil up a little extra so more is better than building a harness that's too short. Zip tie everything so it says in place and open/close the deck lid several times to confirm the wires are not catching on anything. I also spiraled some electrical tape around the 4 wires so that they remained together through the whole run.

Harness under decklid

Camera

Steering Wheel Switch
If you'd like you can swap out the steering wheel controls with that of a 2019 WRX so that they all work correctly. This does require removing the airbag. I instead just got used to the incorrect mapping where the buttons perform different actions and have yet to swap this piece.

Downloads:
2019 Service Manual Radio Section
2013 Service Manual Radio Section

I still need to proof read all this and will probably make edits the next few days but wanted to get this up. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by protivakid; 04-23-2022 at 07:43 PM.
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
itswilliamlol
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433819
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
World Rally Blue Pearl

Default Wrx 2016

How much of it would be plug and play for a Wrx non Harmon and back up camera
itswilliamlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
protivakid