Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Aphelion79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459571
Default '06 STi P0021 Code

I've been dealing with a P0021 on my new-to-me 2006 STi. Guy rebuilt the engine about 15-16k miles ago and never said there were any issues besides the fuel cap throwing a code for a small evap leak (naturally). I've done the following:
  1. Got the code and immediately Changed Oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic
  2. Within 5 days did Subaru brand oil flush and switched to OEM filter and Amsoil XL 5W-30
  3. Bought a new OEM OCV and installed it on Bank 1 (oops)
  4. Took the OCV that I removed from Bank 1 (that's the right/passenger side? correct?) and put it in Bank 2 *I also ordered a new OCV today to put in Bank 2 so they'll both be new.

But even with the Bank 1 (Passenger side) OCV now installed in Bank 2 (Driver side) I'm still getting the same code. Here is a BTSSM log I pulled:

BTSSM Log

I have it formatted so any time the Left Side VVT / Left Side Duty % exceeds the Right Side it turns the cell red.

I'm just worried if the Right side OCV was working fine and I put it in the left side and it's STILL over advanced then it's something more serious? Please advise!

EDIT: Is there a way to see the actual camshaft position from the Cam Position Sensor? A different memory address I can add a field in BTSSM with? Or is this the same as the "Left/Right VVT"? Basically, I'm wondering if the cam was advanced a tooth by accident? I looked and both intake notches seemed to line up with the notch in the head? I'll double check again tomorrow!

EDIT2: The car runs amazing otherwise! Idles fine, accelerates and cruises without a hitch!

Last edited by Aphelion79; 09-28-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Aphelion79
Scooby Newbie

Update: Timing Looks Fine
Update 2: Now have both OCV's replaced. Will let you know if the check engine comes back. (In the meantime I had to get a new knock sensor as mine was showing over voltage, love old cars lol) I was also kind of hoping I needed to dig into this more to make a good thread but hopefully it doesn't come back!

Last edited by Aphelion79; 10-04-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Aphelion79
Scooby Newbie

Ok final update... I've put many miles on it since an oil flush (subaru oil flush) and two oil changes later whatever gunk was in there seems to have flushed itself out and is allowing the cam to retard from it's advanced position!

Steps if you have this issue:

1. Change your oil
2. Perform Oil Flush
3. Replace Oil Control Valves
4. Replace (or remove and clean) Intake Cam Pulley

But do take some time to let the car work out whatever gunk is in there before going to step 3 or even step 4! Chances are whatever is in there will work its way out soon!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Aphelion79
Scooby Newbie

Update: It still comes and goes... I can see in BtSSM that occasionally the driver side sticks at about 10 degrees BUT very occasionally and never on the highway. So far I've just kept clearing the code and moving on (only a handful of times since my last post). I'm going to put new cam sprocket on when I do the cam seals... I'll let you know how that goes!
Old 03-14-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
olddiee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501979

P0021 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following: Incorrect camshaft timing. Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system. ... Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
olddiee is offline   Reply With Quote