Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
bigmacunion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 417141
Default More power options?

Hey owning a 2015 since new. Its been very good to me and enjoying the car every day. But now im looking for some more, is easy power possible. Ive been running for years a high flow turbo back exhaust and tuned for a higher ethanol mixture. Ethanol is hard to get but I can run and am tuned for a E10 mixture. I have to cart fuel and mix at every fuel up, its no big deal but any more E would be a problem to mix. Ethanol is hard to get in Vancouver and our best pump gas wont do. Is flex fuel my answer or other?

Thanks
More power no hassle
bigmacunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
idiosyncrisia
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 448185
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
DGM

You will probably get a few more ponies out of getting more bolt-ons if you cannot reliably get e85 in your area.

A new intercooler and charge pipe, TGV/EGR deletes... that should definitely net you a few more consistent horses.

Some good stuff to read:

https://phatbottituning.com/mod-path
https://phatbottituning.com/2015%2B-wrx-suggested-parts

You can also get some octane booster like VP Octanium and get tuned on a map for that so if you go out on the weekend and want some extra power, load up your octanium map. I personally just use it for the track as an octane booster for consistency/safety, not power though.

Check out Speed Academy's recent video where they did just that.

idiosyncrisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Mike1Juliet
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486921
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 Outback
Tungsten

You say you're "Tuned" for E10. Does Canadian gasoline not have 10% ethanol like gasoline in the US does?
Look for reputable tuners in your area and ask their advice. I'm not sure about Canadian emissions laws and stuff but I was recommended doing the TGV delete, the EGR delete and the Grimmspeed EBCS. Deleting the TGV and EGR frees up airflow and restrictions and the Grimmspeed ECBS helps stop the turbo from fluctuating so badly. These mods all together are like 250 USD IIRC. The TGV delete kit is 75 USD and the Grimmspeed EBCS is like 150 USD, the EGR delete is free as you just unplug it. After that, my tuner recommended me do a J-pipe and innercooler.

Again, consult a tuner, see what they recommend and what services they can offer. Definitely shop around and look into what local WRX owners have done for their cars and who they go to.
Mike1Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
dogsfoot68
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497351

only the cheapest fuel here in Australia has 10% ethanol. 95 and 98 have 0%
dogsfoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Matrex15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473848
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
White

E is the only way. Try to make it work. Get it ordered if you have to. I was full bolt ons in Victoria and wanted more like yourself. Now I moved to Edmonton and get a drum of E98R shipped to my house about once every couple of months. Its mind blowing fun.
Matrex15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #6
Rexy18
*** Banned ***

Member#: 500337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrex15 View Post
E is the only way. Try to make it work. Get it ordered if you have to. I was full bolt ons in Victoria and wanted more like yourself. Now I moved to Edmonton and get a drum of E98R shipped to my house about once every couple of months. Its mind blowing fun.
Do share details. When i looked into it it boiled down to 7$/gal when i had access to e51% at the pump for 2.09/gal. Mine was a local distributor and didnt include shipping either. Who are you buying through and whats the ballpark figure per gal $$-wise so people understand how feasible it may be for them.

But yes, agree 100% with your opinion.
Rexy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Comikazi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 402552
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1Juliet View Post
You say you're "Tuned" for E10. Does Canadian gasoline not have 10% ethanol like gasoline in the US does?
The ethanol content typically ranges from E0 to E10 depending on the octane level and who you are buying from.

For example Shell 91 octane has E0, but I believe their 87 octane can contain up to E10.

Most gasoline here seems to advertise "up to 10% ethanol".
Comikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
Matrex15
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473848
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2015 Wrx
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy18 View Post
Do share details. When i looked into it it boiled down to 7$/gal when i had access to e51% at the pump for 2.09/gal. Mine was a local distributor and didnt include shipping either. Who are you buying through and whats the ballpark figure per gal $$-wise so people understand how feasible it may be for them.

But yes, agree 100% with your opinion.
I am paying around $2/L. Includes delivery and you can keep the drum for fires cause you won't have money for heat. Win win. Running e is the ****s on mileage. I get my fuel from a local company called chassisflex.
Matrex15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Ssinclair77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514383
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Base
Lapis Blue

Most fuel in Canada contains "up to 10% ethanol" I would be reluctant to run an E10 tune unless you are certain that your fuel contains the max amount (E10). Shell 91 contains 0% ethanol and I believe a few other stations have a 0% E option as well, be sure to avoid those stations.
Ssinclair77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
RobsHOURex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511948
Default Fa22dit?

I called Darton Sleeves and Wiseco Pistons and I found out that Darton can make custom sleeves for the FA20 block and bore them to 92mm and Wiseco pistons and they can make custom 92mm pistons. This would raise the displacement to 2.2L. While you are at it, replace the rods and install ARP head studs and raise the boost.
RobsHOURex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:25 AM   #11
Asm123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 467692
Default How About Meth...

Why not look at methanol injection options? Does a lot of the same things as ethanol but instead of lugging around ethanol for every fill, or trying to find a gas station that has it, you could order several gallons of methanol in 1 gallon jugs and keep it in your garage. Top off your trunk mounted methanol tank every few days at home, run normal 91 or 92 octane fuel all the time, retain a better mpg than ethanol and enjoy a high octane protune that'll give you much more power than a normal pump gas stage 2 build.
Asm123 is offline   Reply With Quote