Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468174
Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Default 2.0 swap runs rough. Help!

I recently did the 2.0 n/a swap on my 03 legacy outback 2.5 auto. Swapped crank gear and sensor, also drivers side cam gear and sensor from the 2.5. Used intake from 2.5 also. I missed the ground for the fuel pump shut off when installing so fuel pump kept running and dumped fuel into the cylinders. Sorted out the ground and got the car to start and run but as it warmed up it progressively ran worse ( rough idle, barely rev, engine shaking slightly) and the cat began to glow red. Shut the car off and left it for about 24 hrs. Went back the next day, started the car and it began blowing thick white smoke with a heavy fuel smell out the exhaust that eventually went away. Still runs terrible, won't rev and will barely move with pedal pressed to the floor. Catalytic converter no longer glowing or getting to hot and NO check engine light.. I'm stumped any help, info, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Capn-BrownBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
SubieHondaGuy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 312223
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

What 2.0 block did you use?
SubieHondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Not sure what the exact engine code is, have to look at my invoice later. It was listed as a direct replacement for my 03 2.5. It's a N/A 2.0 with egr. Block code is ej20.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Checked my invoice jdm engine is a ej202.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2019 Macan 4cyl
1993 Impreza FWD WRX swap

Might need a rebuild.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
Leonardo
Cowabunga!
Super Moderator

Member#: 185
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver Metalic

Did you try unplugging the two engine harness connectors and connecting them again. Had some issues when I did the same swap into my 2.2 and was that.

Check all connections again and with some brake cleaner, check for any leaks.

But yeah, timing sensors are the same as I searched through the books. I'm using the JDM ones now. Only had to swam cam and crank gears and your whole intake with sensors (even though water and knock are the same.)
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #7
Wannabe WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 130623
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1999 STi-R #95/1000
WRB (in Progress)

Your catalytic converter is clogged.

If you can see that cat glow red at any point, it means that it has melted inside and the exhaust gases cannot pass. However, there is no CEL for this. But all of the symptoms you describe are for a clogged cat.

Clogged cats usually happen with misfires that aren't corrected. That's because fuel that isn't burning properly makes its way down to the cat and melts the material inside. In your case, the fuel that dumped into the cylinders had some pass to the cat - and melted the inside stuff.

[And yes, I've had those symptoms happen.]

Replace your catalytic converter. That's the reason why your car is running bad.
Wannabe WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe WRX View Post
Your catalytic converter is clogged.

If you can see that cat glow red at any point, it means that it has melted inside and the exhaust gases cannot pass. However, there is no CEL for this. But all of the symptoms you describe are for a clogged cat.

Clogged cats usually happen with misfires that aren't corrected. That's because fuel that isn't burning properly makes its way down to the cat and melts the material inside. In your case, the fuel that dumped into the cylinders had some pass to the cat - and melted the inside stuff.

[And yes, I've had those symptoms happen.]

Replace your catalytic converter. That's the reason why your car is running bad.

pretty much what i was thinking, just needed a little vindication. have new cat, air/fuel sensor, and 02 sensor on the way. Hope to be up and running (like it should be) this week.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Sooo... update. New Problem..
replaced sensors and cat, still runs terrible and reeks of fuel from exhaust. Started checking wires (again) checked spark and realized number 3 & 4 cylinders are not getting spark from the coil. i believe the coil to be good as it came off a running car. Also no CEL. any ideas?

Last edited by Capn-BrownBeard; 06-08-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
Wannabe WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 STi-R #95/1000
WRB (in Progress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn-BrownBeard View Post
Sooo... update. New Problem..
replaced sensors and cat, still runs terrible and reeks of fuel from exhaust. Started checking wires (again) checked spark and realized number 3 & 4 cylinders are not getting spark from the coil. i believe the coil to be good as it came off a running car. Also no CEL. any ideas?
So now we're on the "original" issue. As in, what we would have been dealing with before the melted cat.

I'm also assuming that the previous engine did not have this problem before you swapped in the 2.0l.

The only way this diagnosis can be confirmed is to either get a working coil pack (preferably new - it's one of the things I buy for all my swaps) or test the coil on another car.

Otherwise, you're heading into "do-over" territory. Re-checking connectors and grounds.

Most often, beyond the ignition coil and connector issues, 3/4 no-spark is also caused by either cam/crank pulley misalignment/damage/gremlins or timing belt issues. Those seem to be the most often reasons specifically for 3/4 not sparking. The cam sprocket from the "new" engine can be used if the one in car is damaged. Unfortunately, you cannot reuse the EJ202 crank gear - you'll need one for your old engine (if that's the issue).

If it's not that, then it's on to wire testing from coil pack to ECU. And if that's not it, then it might be the ECU itself.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited by Wannabe WRX; 06-11-2020 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Re-formatted
Old 06-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
Capn-BrownBeard
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1996 Outback Impreza
Red and Grey mostly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe WRX View Post
So now we're on the "original" issue. As in, what we would have been dealing with before the melted cat.

I'm also assuming that the previous engine did not have this problem before you swapped in the 2.0l.

The only way this diagnosis can be confirmed is to either get a working coil pack (preferably new - it's one of the things I buy for all my swaps) or test the coil on another car.

Otherwise, you're heading into "do-over" territory. Re-checking connectors and grounds.

Most often, beyond the ignition coil and connector issues, 3/4 no-spark is also caused by either cam/crank pulley misalignment/damage/gremlins or timing belt issues. Those seem to be the most often reasons specifically for 3/4 not sparking. The cam sprocket from the "new" engine can be used if the one in car is damaged. Unfortunately, you cannot reuse the EJ202 crank gear - you'll need one for your old engine (if that's the issue).

If it's not that, then it's on to wire testing from coil pack to ECU. And if that's not it, then it might be the ECU itself.

Hope this is of some help.
Big help, much appreciated.
A little more info... The coil currently on the car came from the original engine which ran fine other than the overheating. Car had zero issues besides bad headgaskets. For the swap cam and crank gears from original motor were used. My theory is that the loose ground issue I had when doing the swap may have shorted out the coil or ecu (based on the little info I've been able to find).
I plan to test the coil and ecu today and luckily have acces to the full factory repair manual library, working for subaru has its perks. Will let ya know what I find out.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #12
Wannabe WRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 STi-R #95/1000
WRB (in Progress)

Cool. Best of luck to you.