Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #401
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507139

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjson View Post
If you don't have wifi then it does have to be updated via USB. I think technically the dealer is suppose to do it. It is silly, because the maps on the nav unit can be updated by the user via USB, but not the firmware. Not sure if the dealer charges for it or not.

I did it myself with my salvaged headunit using the service bulletin and the firmware file from a forum user. It worked fine for me. If you do do it, make sure the engine is running (not in a closed space) because if the power fails during the update it could a big problem. Note that the firmware does check to make sure the USB contains the correct firmware before it uploads it. That made me feel better about it. I personally think this is pretty safe to do yourself, but anyone who tries is doing so at their own risk.

Instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36jz97a06y...-0001.pdf?dl=0

Firmware file (base headunit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqjd7kz6cu...mOnly.zip?dl=0
You rock! And thanks will try that a little later if it ever stops freaking raining! And yes, i know the disclaimer, well versed with "at your own risk"when flashing custom roms on phones, LOL.
THX0849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #402
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Tried the update but got the "USB authentication was unsuccessful" message on the screen. seems that might be the wrong update file for my unit according to the instructions. Looking at the pictures in the instructions maybe I'm supposed to use the "MID" file?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #403
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490337

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX0849 View Post
Tried the update but got the "USB authentication was unsuccessful" message on the screen. seems that might be the wrong update file for my unit according to the instructions. Looking at the pictures in the instructions maybe I'm supposed to use the "MID" file?
You're probably right, I thought your headunit looked like base, but maybe it is mid. Here is the MID file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/58bztv0nx4...mOnly.zip?dl=0
brettjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #404
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

brettjson - you DA MAN!! gonna try it in a few, thanks!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #405
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

So i got this far and in the next screen it says to "retry USB unplugged". Will in definitely not unplugging itv at any time and tried the slot best to it as well. Maybe the hub itself is having issue and that is why i have to plug-replug the phone
Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #406
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

That is the correct screen when you have the correct firmware. If it is saying after that the USB hub may well be the issue. On mine after I hit accept it went no trouble.

Although, I did have to format my USB as a FAT32 and not an NTFS. The tech bulletin says try NTFS and if it doesn't work try FAT32. However, when I did NTFS it didn't even get to the authenticate part and definitely not the "Install Now" screen so I don't think that is your issue.

I would reach out to your dealer if you haven't already. This should be covered under warranty. I would just say you get random USB disconnects.

The other thing to check is the dealer interface in the headunit. If you hold "Tune" down and hit "Home" twice about 1 second apart (while holding "Tune") then release "Tune" a second later you enter a diagnostic mode on the headunit. It will show if there are any errors with connections. Try that when you have a good USB connection and again when it fails. That may show you if it is the connection or not.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #407
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
That is the correct screen when you have the correct firmware. If it is saying after that the USB hub may well be the issue. On mine after I hit accept it went no trouble.

Although, I did have to format my USB as a FAT32 and not an NTFS. The tech bulletin says try NTFS and if it doesn't work try FAT32. However, when I did NTFS it didn't even get to the authenticate part and definitely not the "Install Now" screen so I don't think that is your issue.

I would reach out to your dealer if you haven't already. This should be covered under warranty. I would just say you get random USB disconnects.

The other thing to check is the dealer interface in the headunit. If you hold "Tune" down and hit "Home" twice about 1 second apart (while holding "Tune") then release "Tune" a second later you enter a diagnostic mode on the headunit. It will show if there are any errors with connections. Try that when you have a good USB connection and again when it fails. That may show you if it is the connection or not.
Awesome will try that but will definitely get ahold of the dealer about it. Got a good relationship with them.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #408
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

So i swapped usb sticks for with a couple different manufacturers and it worked! Thank you so much! Kingston and Patriot didn't work but a cheapy throw away did!
Old 05-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #409
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Nice. Glad it worked! Let us know if the carplay disconnection problem is better.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #410
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

So I performed the update while at work during a quick break so i couldn't try it out at the time. Upon leaving work it worked on the first attempt which is good but again it would previously happen intermittently so i will update after a few days testing it out. HOWEVER it COMPLETELY changed the sound of my system. I've got after market everything other than the radio itself and after the update it sounds like i have no mid-range or mid bass! I wonder if the update changed the "tune" of the head unit along with the software. Gonna have to go to my DSP and check it what's happened, will follow up soon as i get an answer.

Last edited by THX0849; 05-26-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #411
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
So I performed the update while at work during a quick break so i couldn't try it out at the time. Upon leaving work it worked on the first attempt with it good but again it would previously happen intermittently so i will update after a few days testing it out. HOWEVER it COMPLETELY changed the sound of my system. I've got after market everything other than the radio itself and after the update it sounds like i have no mid-range or mid bass! I wonder if the update changed the "tune" of the head unit along with the software. Gonna have to go to my DSP and check it what's happened, will follow up soon as i get an answer.
It may have reset any EQ settings you had previously had.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #412
THX0849
Scooby Newbie

No, I'm not taking about the "EQ" settings in the radio, as they're always flat and still are, I'm talking about the "sound" of the radio itself. These radios have an all-pass filter in them that puts a speaker out of phase at a certain frequency. My DSP settings were set for that but i think the update i performed changed the sound curve of the radio a bit and that'll take the DSP all out of whack.

You can see some of what I've done here;

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Old 05-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #413
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
No, I'm not taking about the "EQ" settings in the radio, as they're always flat and still are, I'm talking about the "sound" of the radio itself. These radios have an all-pass filter in them that puts a speaker out of phase at a certain frequency. My DSP settings were set for that but i think the update i performed changed the sound curve of the radio a bit and that'll take the DSP all out of whack.

You can see some of what I've done here;

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
Man, you know a LOT more about car audio than I do. That seems like a nice set up you have there. I wonder if in an attempt to make the stock headunit sound better with stock speakers it messed up your tune. I hope you are able to get it sounding better.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #414
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265148
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
I am currently discussing this issue with a local audio shop. They said they recently install a Kenwood in a 2018 WRX with the HK factory system and they used the axxess TYTO-02 to get it to work. They will have to take a look at the 2019 HU and see if they can get it to work with the TYTO-02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protivakid View Post

I don't know if you took my earlier suggestion but taking a multimeter to the harness would tell you a lot. You could determine if in fact the amp is receiving power and perhaps even monitor if data is being sent. Take some readings hooked up to the 2018 radio, then take some hooked up to the 2019 and try to look for any differences.
@silvergc Did you ever make any progress either building a harness or using a multimeter to look at signals?
protivakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #415
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211294

Quote:
@silvergc Did you ever make any progress either building a harness or using a multimeter to look at signals?
No. Waiting to see how brettjson attempt at it turns out. Currently he is close to a solution. He currently has someone working on a harness and has the TYTO-02 on hand. I am trying to source one as well.
silvergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #416
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

The harness shipped but I am still waiting for it. I will still have to mate the TYTO harness to the one I had built. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #417
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
No. Waiting to see how brettjson attempt at it turns out. Currently he is close to a solution. He currently has someone working on a harness and has the TYTO-02 on hand. I am trying to source one as well.
I thought brettjson had a non-Nav radio he was trying to get work. If so I don't think his solution will apply to you, I've done a lot of reading and have never seen anyone successful bypass a HK amp and retain the stock HK Nav radio, and that was after searching through the Impreza, Forester, Crosstrek, & Outback forums as well.

If you look at the pinouts the 2019 WRX Nav radio communicates on a Can-Bus signal to control things such as audio level. Since you are going from a HK NAV radio to a HK amp you don't need a TYTO-02 in the middle to translate signals, both are already speaking the same language. While brettjson's work may be a big help to the PHONE button radio guys who want to talk to a HK amp, I think you will be far better off looking at the wire diagrams, using multimeter, and building your own harness, or if that seems like too much effort just grab a 2019 PHONE button carplay radio from a 2019 Premium WRX.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #418
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
You're really good at sourcing these parts, was this another Kijiji special?

Looking at the 2019 amp I stand corrected, it is certainly different which is very odd that Subaru would change this drastically between the 2018 & 2019 model years. It looks like your next step would be to try building an adapter harness / splice between your 2018's wires and the 2019 amp assuming you can't find a complete 2019 radio harness from a donor. I have to say, at that point though, unless you REALLY want to maintain the factory MAP button functionality, it might be easier to grab a 2019 PHONE button radio seen here with the carplay, and bypass the amp all together. I assume your desire for Android Auto is to use Google Maps / Waze anyhow.

I grabbed the Amp pinout sections from both the 2019 WRX FSM and the 2018 WRX FSM . At a glance I see three extra wires on the 2018 but it looks like it's only used for Shield Ground & Vehicle Speed Sensor. The third addl wire on the 2018 (A1 B/W) seems to come directly from the radio yet on the AMP Pinout it says Pin 1 on Connector A is Not Used. However, if you follow this to the radio side it's Pin 16 on Connector C which is "N.C./MUTE*1". So looks like it possibly controls MUTE.

I don't know if you took my earlier suggestion but taking a multimeter to the harness would tell you a lot. You could determine if in fact the amp is receiving power and perhaps even monitor if data is being sent. Take some readings hooked up to the 2018 radio, then take some hooked up to the 2019 and try to look for any differences.

If you ever get tired of all this and chose to sell the radio please let us know before throwing it on ebay. I as well as some other members in here would probably appreciate the ability to take a wack at it themselves.
I took some readings with both the 2018 and 2019 HU to the AMP and they are the same. I also took a look at the pin supplying the power, we are good there. Ill do some more probing.

Last edited by silvergc; 05-30-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #419
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I thought brettjson had a non-Nav radio he was trying to get work. If so I don't think his solution will apply to you, I've done a lot of reading and have never seen anyone successful bypass a HK amp and retain the stock HK Nav radio, and that was after searching through the Impreza, Forester, Crosstrek, & Outback forums as well.

If you look at the pinouts the 2019 WRX Nav radio communicates on a Can-Bus signal to control things such as audio level. Since you are going from a HK NAV radio to a HK amp you don't need a TYTO-02 in the middle to translate signals, both are already speaking the same language. While brettjson's work may be a big help to the PHONE button radio guys who want to talk to a HK amp, I think you will be far better off looking at the wire diagrams, using multimeter, and building your own harness, or if that seems like too much effort just grab a 2019 PHONE button carplay radio from a 2019 Premium WRX.
Protivakid is correct in that I have a Non-Nav 2019 HU (PHONE button radio). My idea was to wire it as if it were an aftermarket radio for the audio outputs (FR, FL, RR, RL) while wiring it like an OEM radio for everything else (steering wheel controls, camera, reverse, etc).

That means that I need a HU that outputs 4 channels which the NON-HK amps do. I thought that perhaps this technique could work for an HK headunit if it outputted at last two amplified channels (R and L) that could be split such the front and rear signal was the same. After playing around with my 2016 HK headunit on the bench, I noticed that when the amp is not connected, basic audio control functions don't even work (volume, fade, balance). I didn't have spare speakers around to test the outputs but based on the mutlimeter output, I don't believe that any output from the HK/nav headunit will work with the TYTO. I don't have a 2019 to play with but I doubt it is much different from my 2016 with regard to HK amp communication.

I think in the end, it is better to have something work for PHONE headunits as they are much easier to source and cheaper than the HK Nav headunits. But I don't think my setup will work for silvergc's HK headunit.

There may be a solution for the HK headunit at the amp level. But an adapter harness would have to be made that would allow connection of the 2019 HK headunit to a 2019 HK amp via the 2016-2018 harness.

The harness that I had Brian (autoharnesshouse) arrives next week. I am hoping to have time to work on it next weekend.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #420
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Protivakid is correct in that I have a Non-Nav 2019 HU (PHONE button radio). My idea was to wire it as if it were an aftermarket radio for the audio outputs (FR, FL, RR, RL) while wiring it like an OEM radio for everything else (steering wheel controls, camera, reverse, etc).

That means that I need a HU that outputs 4 channels which the NON-HK amps do. I thought that perhaps this technique could work for an HK headunit if it outputted at last two amplified channels (R and L) that could be split such the front and rear signal was the same. After playing around with my 2016 HK headunit on the bench, I noticed that when the amp is not connected, basic audio control functions don't even work (volume, fade, balance). I didn't have spare speakers around to test the outputs but based on the mutlimeter output, I don't believe that any output from the HK/nav headunit will work with the TYTO. I don't have a 2019 to play with but I doubt it is much different from my 2016 with regard to HK amp communication.

I think in the end, it is better to have something work for PHONE headunits as they are much easier to source and cheaper than the HK Nav headunits. But I don't think my setup will work for silvergc's HK headunit.

There may be a solution for the HK headunit at the amp level. But an adapter harness would have to be made that would allow connection of the 2019 HK headunit to a 2019 HK amp via the 2016-2018 harness.

The harness that I had Brian (autoharnesshouse) arrives next week. I am hoping to have time to work on it next weekend.
This will certainly be cool for the PHONE radio guys, and I agree they are much cheaper, simpler, and easier to source than the MAP radios. For those looking for a simple CarPlay addition your research will help.

I know the HK MAP HU sends out two channels of audio but it is at line level, nothing you would probably be able to hear if connected directly to a speaker. The radio also probably uses that CAN-BUS connection to talk to the HK AMP back/forth which probably enables the amp in the first place and allows the volume controls to work on the radio.

silvergc - I think the best path for you is to bust out that multimeter and work on an adapter hardness. You have both pieces and they are both talking the same language. You don't need a middle-man to translate, just a harness made with the correct wires going to the correct pins on each end. Or sell me the MAP radio / amp and I will start working on one :P

Last edited by protivakid; 05-30-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #421
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

I have reached out to autoharnesshouse regarding a harness. I going to ask them to make me a 28 pin jumper type harness to act as the middle man.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #422
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
You're really good at sourcing these parts, was this another Kijiji special?

Looking at the 2019 amp I stand corrected, it is certainly different which is very odd that Subaru would change this drastically between the 2018 & 2019 model years. It looks like your next step would be to try building an adapter harness / splice between your 2018's wires and the 2019 amp assuming you can't find a complete 2019 radio harness from a donor. I have to say, at that point though, unless you REALLY want to maintain the factory MAP button functionality, it might be easier to grab a 2019 PHONE button radio seen here with the carplay, and bypass the amp all together. I assume your desire for Android Auto is to use Google Maps / Waze anyhow.

I grabbed the Amp pinout sections from both the 2019 WRX FSM and the 2018 WRX FSM . At a glance I see three extra wires on the 2018 but it looks like it's only used for Shield Ground & Vehicle Speed Sensor. The third addl wire on the 2018 (A1 B/W) seems to come directly from the radio yet on the AMP Pinout it says Pin 1 on Connector A is Not Used. However, if you follow this to the radio side it's Pin 16 on Connector C which is "N.C./MUTE*1". So looks like it possibly controls MUTE.

If you ever get tired of all this and chose to sell the radio please let us know before throwing it on ebay. I as well as some other members in here would probably appreciate the ability to take a wack at it themselves.
Regarding this "The third addl wire on the 2018 (A1 B/W) seems to come directly from the radio yet on the AMP Pinout it says Pin 1 on Connector A is Not Used. However, if you follow this to the radio side it's Pin 16 on Connector C which is "N.C./MUTE*1". So looks like it possibly controls MUTE."

I took a reading and there is a signal with both HU's. Now is it the correct signal, i dont know.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #423
brettjson
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
I have reached out to autoharnesshouse regarding a harness. I going to ask them to make me a 28 pin jumper type harness to act as the middle man.
You are making a harness for the amp or the headunit?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #424
silvergc
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
You are making a harness for the amp or the headunit?
Headunit. It all starts there.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #425
protivakid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2016 WRX
White

Quote:
Headunit. It all starts there.
They'll also have to make a harness for the 2019 Amp too right? Or are you hoping to use the 2018?