Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #1
silverbur
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515039
Default 2005 Impreza STI AEM Series 2 ECU won't start anymore..HELP needed

Hello everyone!

I have been checking into the forum but haven't found any useful information. I was driving my car yesterday when it suddenly couldn't accelerate any more.

Cruise control lights started blinking right away so I knew there was an issue but I'm still not sure what the problem is.

Looking into the following file I found this information: https://www.aemelectronics.com/sites...ct_20_2008.pdf

ETC Fault Management

The ETC system continuously monitors itself for proper operation. If a fault is detected then the system will be placed in a failsafe mode and power to the electronic throttle body will be turned off. This will allow the engine to start and idle at approximately 1500-2000 rpm as a “limp-home” mode but the throttle body will not respond to accelerator pedal inputs.

The system will continue to monitor itself and assume that the throttle blade will be in its rest position while in this un-powered failsafe mode. If it is detected that this is not the case then the system will enter a second failsafe stage whereby the crank signal to the EMS is interrupted. The tachometer will drop to zero and the EMS will not fire fuel injectors or ignition coils. If the engine is running, it will coast to a stop. If the engine is not running, it will not start.

This is the exact same issue, I was like 1 mile away from my house so I was able to make it back in limp mode. I then tried re-calibrating the ETC as stated on the same document:

Initial Calibration Procedure

a. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. The CRUISE and SET indicator lights will begin flashing in unison at a medium rate.

b. Press and hold the CRUISE button (See Figure 4) for approximately three (3) seconds until the indicator lights stop flashing.

c. There will be a brief delay after which the CRUISE light will flash once.

d. Ensure the accelerator pedal is not being depressed and is in the full “UP” position.

e. The SET indicator light will flash rapidly for a few seconds as the EMS calibrates this position.

f. There will be a brief delay after which the CRUISE light will flash twice.

g. Depress and hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and ensure it is in the full Wide Open Throttle/“WOT” position.

h. The SET indicator light will flash rapidly for a few seconds as the EMS calibrates this position.

i. There will be a brief delay after which the CRUISE light will flash three times.

j. The SET indicator light will flash rapidly for several seconds as the EMS calibrates the ETC throttle body.

k. If the calibration procedure was successful and all the ETC sensors and actuators are found to be within tolerance then the CRUISE and SET indicator lights will flash in unison at a medium rate.

l. If the calibration procedure fails, indicated by the CRUISE and SET indicator lights flashing in an alternating pattern, please reference the sections entitled ETC Diagnostics and Calibration Troubleshooting elsewhere in this document.

m. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

n. The ETC system is now calibrated and ready for use.

Once I do that, get the blinking lights again and as mentioned on the same file it gives me the error:

I got the SET light blinking differently, once twice and another one 3 times and the document says: Noise and Disagreement but I have no clue what to do.

- Already took the pedal off and cleaned it out the car, checked the wiring, hook it into the computer but still not working, I'm not really sure how to pull out codes (if that's even posible) using the AEMTuner software.

Can anyone help me with this!?
silverbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
silverbur
Scooby Newbie

well....I was able to start the car again, after charging the battery and cleaning all contacts (TPS, Throttle body, others) car started again.....I noticed and buzzing sound on the Throttle like forcing itself to move and then worked.....I ran the car for a couple of minutes without any issues...turn it off and then back on and same issue started again.....so my question is....how often you see these throttle bodies to fail like this?
Old 05-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
adam sti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457414
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

I have an 04 STi and have used 2 different throttle bodies, one original and one brand new from the dealer and both of those make a buzzing sound with key on engine off

What engine harness are you using? Original?
adam sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
silverbur
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sti View Post
I have an 04 STi and have used 2 different throttle bodies, one original and one brand new from the dealer and both of those make a buzzing sound with key on engine off

What engine harness are you using? Original?
Yes, OEM harness....what I have noticed is that the throttle not always makes that sound so it seems to me is bad.....is this piece shared across several models or even other brands? I know tps works on some toyotas and other cars so just wondering if I can easily get a throttle borrowed to test it out.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
adam sti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 457414
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

I'm pretty sure it's the same from 02-07, not sure about other brands.

If you're on long island I got one you can try
adam sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
silverbur
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sti View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the same from 02-07, not sure about other brands.

If you're on long island I got one you can try
Thank you man! I'm actually far away so bough one on ebay to test but I'm pretty sure that's the issue.