Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #3226
Tmedina
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531684
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Base
Dark Gray

Default Denied warranty OVER BOOST on a completely stock car

Name:

Make: 2019 SUBARU WRX

Mileage: <40k

Time Out Of Use: 2+ Months

Problem And Likely Cause: Spun Bearing Cylinder 3 Rod to Crankshaft

Modifications: NONE that affect it - Roof rack, speakers, mudflaps

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial: OVER BOOST

Your Story: Late July, car developed a bad sound from the engine, had it towed to the dealership where they dismantled the engine and confirmed it was a spun bearing on Cyl 3. Fought with Subaru of America for it to be covered under warranty, had so many issues, like the dealership not sending them my maintenance records so it was denied for lack of maintenance records, then I filed a complaint with the BBB, finally Subaru of America responded, sent out a 3rd party inspector and pulled data from the car, They told me that my maintainance records were good ( i did all my own oil changes but had receipts and a log of everything done on time), was told that from the data they pulled, the car had "OVER BOOSTED", they mentioned it hit 38.2, then explained i need to subtract atmospheric pressure, which is 14.7, to get the boost level 23.5. I explained to them the car has never been modified or tuned, its the original ecm and original tune, im the first and only owner of the car, if it overboosted that is a problem that subaru put into the car. So they denied my warranty due to overboost, basically said they believe I modified it when i have not, and that they will not cover it. I've seen on threads all over that these cars stock can hit a peak boost that high, its never been modified. yet im being denied warranty. Any help? has this happened to you?

They want $19300 for New shortblock, heads( piston slapped heads), and new turbo, as there was metal debris in the oil.

Last edited by Tmedina; 10-06-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Tmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2022, 10:30 AM   #3227
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

If you haven't modified it, then the onus is on them to prove it was modified. I would push back and keep trying. This is ridiculous. Some lazy technician probably jumped to this conclusion without making much effort to dig deeper, as this is unfortunately a common scenario. People blow up their engines, revert to stock and then claim warranty. Since that's not the case in your situation, ask them for proof that it was modified. ECU records a lot of the data, and I imagine it would be possible for them to tell conclusively if modded or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmedina View Post
Name:

Make: 2019 SUBARU WRX

Mileage: <40k

Time Out Of Use: 2+ Months

Problem And Likely Cause: Spun Bearing Cylinder 3 Rod to Crankshaft

Modifications: NONE that affect it - Roof rack, speakers, mudflaps

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): YES

Reason Given For Denial: OVER BOOST

Your Story: Late July, car developed a bad sound from the engine, had it towed to the dealership where they dismantled the engine and confirmed it was a spun bearing on Cyl 3. Fought with Subaru of America for it to be covered under warranty, had so many issues, like the dealership not sending them my maintenance records so it was denied for lack of maintenance records, then I filed a complaint with the BBB, finally Subaru of America responded, sent out a 3rd party inspector and pulled data from the car, They told me that my maintainance records were good ( i did all my own oil changes but had receipts and a log of everything done on time), was told that from the data they pulled, the car had "OVER BOOSTED", they mentioned it hit 38.2, then explained i need to subtract atmospheric pressure, which is 14.7, to get the boost level 23.5. I explained to them the car has never been modified or tuned, its the original ecm and original tune, im the first and only owner of the car, if it overboosted that is a problem that subaru put into the car. So they denied my warranty due to overboost, basically said they believe I modified it when i have not, and that they will not cover it. I've seen on threads all over that these cars stock can hit a peak boost that high, its never been modified. yet im being denied warranty. Any help? has this happened to you?

They want $19300 for New shortblock, heads( piston slapped heads), and new turbo, as there was metal debris in the oil.
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #3228
Tmedina
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX Base
Dark Gray

I completely agree, I tried to get them to give me their findings and documents from their investigation but they refused to give them to me. The dealership doesn't have them, just Subaru of America. I was told over the phone from my "advocate" at Subaru of America that they would not give them to me, but would give them to my lawyer. So I hired a lawyer and we are going to fight it that way. I agree that it is a common scenario with this type of car, people do mod them and think the manufacturer wont know, I would think they would have a for sure way of seeing that it wasn't modified, that would benefit me greatly, and if they don't have a way to tell, then I think the burden of proof would lie on them to prove it was modified. I am not letting down on this, my lawyer will be sending them a demand letter soon, and if they still don't budge I will be filing a lawsuit and settling this in court.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:55 PM   #3229
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

This is a bizarre situation to say the least, that they will only provide this info to your lawyer.

Good luck and keep us posted.
2018wrx_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:50 AM   #3230
Russ_G93
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528403
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
22' WR-HikingShoe
23' F250, 18' Q5, 18' CRV

Just to add to the confusion, I think the 2022 WRX is only rated for 12psi (For peak boost at lower rpms, not later), and there are people all over reddit and the internet in general hitting 14-15lbs of boost on a new generation car -Stock tune. I've hit 13.8 on accident, Soo... i'd definitely keep fighting it to get it covered. I saw Subaru get this chicks transmission covered even though she was out of warranty and couldn't pay for it, but she sat in the lobby on the phone with SOA with our Manager for what seemed like ages. So yes keep us posted. They can't deny **** especially when they have the tech to see if the ECU was even touched by external programming. Sounds like Laziness out of new hires within SOA.
Russ_G93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #3231
Tmedina
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX Base
Dark Gray

Yes, it is well known that these cars "overboost" with the factory tune. Every forum I have read people experience "overboost" the same as I have. Unfortunately I cannot find a Professional Source (something other than forum posts) that describe how the car is designed to overboost momentarily then drop back down to its programmed boost levels. My lawyer has written a demand letter that was sent out to Subaru of America about 1 week ago. If I do not hear a response from Subaru I will be filing a lawsuit and reporting this to my state attorney general to escalate the claim.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #3232
Tmedina
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX Base
Dark Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018wrx_newbie View Post
This is a bizarre situation to say the least, that they will only provide this info to your lawyer.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I agree, I find it to be very suspicious. My lawyer wrote a demand letter and part of that letter was a request for all documentation that they have on my car. I will keep you all updated as this goes on.