Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 22, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Post Internal wastegate block off on stock turbo option?

Can't seem to find much info anywhere on swapping to an external wastegate setup on a stock turbo for the FA. So here we go! Soon I will be swapping to a killer b header with external gates and I just can't seem to have it in me to weld the internal gate closed. Has anyone used or tried the grimmspeed universal block off or got creative and made their own? Their sites states that it will work with FA's stock turbo but would like to know if anyone has used this as an alternative to welding and have had success with it? Would love to hear what others have done!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
scotte30m3
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 409636
Join Date: Dec 2014
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default

Been on Killer B EWG headers for 30k using their block off that come with the kit with zero issues... no need to weld.
scotte30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte30m3 View Post
Been on Killer B EWG headers for 30k using their block off that come with the kit with zero issues... no need to weld.
I was unaware that they supplied one, thanks for the reply!
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Been running the killer-b with the supplied block off for 8k miles so far on the build. no issues.
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Been running the killer-b with the supplied block off for 8k miles so far on the build. no issues.
Nice! I was lucky enough to be able to snag a new header before they “discontinued” or pulled them off sites for sale. Pumped to get them swapped here in the coming weeks . Appreciate the reply
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #6
Murf1500
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 500023
Join Date: Apr 2019
Vehicle:
2017 Wrx

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy525 View Post
Nice! I was lucky enough to be able to snag a new header before they “discontinued” or pulled them off sites for sale. Pumped to get them swapped here in the coming weeks . Appreciate the reply

They pulled them off the site? Something to do with the EPA?
Murf1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #7
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf1500 View Post
They pulled them off the site? Something to do with the EPA?
Yeah. They still have and sell the non external header. From what I get out of it, anything that is emission related is a no go. So catless j-pipes are gone as well (sold as new anyways). I did some searches last night and seeing these parts disappear from sites. Kind of sucks for the future that these options will be no more.
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy525 View Post
Yeah. They still have and sell the non external header. From what I get out of it, anything that is emission related is a no go. So catless j-pipes are gone as well (sold as new anyways). I did some searches last night and seeing these parts disappear from sites. Kind of sucks for the future that these options will be no more.
Damn. good thing i got my headers early lol
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #9
undyjr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 459692
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hampton Roads Va
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
silica black

Default

I still have the EWG plate from the Killer Bee Fury turbo kit. I'll even throw in the dual Tial 38mm wastegates that need rebuilding. Also of interest would be a Killer Bee FA20 header complete with Swain Tech coating and only 500 miles on it. Need the money for my EJ257 rebuild. PM me with offers.
undyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undyjr View Post
I still have the EWG plate from the Killer Bee Fury turbo kit. I'll even throw in the dual Tial 38mm wastegates that need rebuilding. Also of interest would be a Killer Bee FA20 header complete with Swain Tech coating and only 500 miles on it. Need the money for my EJ257 rebuild. PM me with offers.
Literally just got my header ordered last Friday..the shop who ordered parts said they only found 1 left from import image. If you dont mind me asking why you parted with the header and turbo?
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #11
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Damn. good thing i got my headers early lol
Sure is! You like the setup? I know they don't get you much power gains but im pretty maxed out on my setup and just want for the pure sound lol love it. I know its not for everyone.
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy525 View Post
Sure is! You like the setup? I know they don't get you much power gains but im pretty maxed out on my setup and just want for the pure sound lol love it. I know its not for everyone.
Got the headers for the twin EWG set up to run with my socal v3 turbo. The set up is alot of fun. Very loud when the EWG open up but thats what makes it fun for me since im not flooring it all the time lol

the car dynoed at 410whp/400wtq with the set up on e60. Plenty fun for me as a DD!
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #13
undyjr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 459692
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Hampton Roads Va
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STI
silica black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy525 View Post
Literally just got my header ordered last Friday..the shop who ordered parts said they only found 1 left from import image. If you dont mind me asking why you parted with the header and turbo?
The car was totaled in an accident and I parted it out and let the insurance company take it. 500whp+ with a GTX3071R gen2 and full STI drivetrain. I still have the drivetrain in my garage.
undyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobultimatum View Post
Got the headers for the twin EWG set up to run with my socal v3 turbo. The set up is alot of fun. Very loud when the EWG open up but thats what makes it fun for me since im not flooring it all the time lol

the car dynoed at 410whp/400wtq with the set up on e60. Plenty fun for me as a DD!
Haha thats awesome! Im looking forward to my dyno day..current tune the car made 365whp/360wtq on just around E60. I might be able to sqeak a few more out of her lol my current tune is on the "safer" side. Afraid to push it too far..not a cheap hobby! Are you on a stock block?
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #15
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undyjr View Post
The car was totaled in an accident and I parted it out and let the insurance company take it. 500whp+ with a GTX3071R gen2 and full STI drivetrain. I still have the drivetrain in my garage.
Oof thats never a good time. I might have to get in touch in the future if you still have parts available. I keep saying to myself...alright thats all I want to do to the car and here we are almost on my 3rd tune lol I never learn.
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
noobultimatum
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 431550
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
ALL THE STAGES

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroy525 View Post
Haha thats awesome! Im looking forward to my dyno day..current tune the car made 365whp/360wtq on just around E60. I might be able to sqeak a few more out of her lol my current tune is on the "safer" side. Afraid to push it too far..not a cheap hobby! Are you on a stock block?
smart man. I threw a built block in it so i can get all the torque lol limited by tranny since its the DD. If i ever get an STi tranny, ill be retuning not only for the gear ratios but for more power. There are a few socal v3 turbo builds like mine running closer to ~ 500/500 on e60
noobultimatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
Leeroy525
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 514795
Join Date: May 2020
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2020 WRX
WR BLUE

Default

[quote=noobultimatum;46526473]smart man. I threw a built block in it so i can get all the torque lol limited by tranny since its the DD. If i ever get an STi tranny, ill be retuning not only for the gear ratios but for more power. There are a few socal v3 turbo builds like mine running closer to ~ 500/500 on e60[/QUOTE

Thats awesome..im sure she's a ripper! I keep hearing about the v3 turbo builds and swapping the STi trans...sure would be some fun. Who knows...maby in the future ***128521;
Leeroy525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.