Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #1
JR Belk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520375
Default Starter, wiring, or relay?

Last week after a cold start my '07 Impreza 2.5 had an interesting issue. It can only be described as turning off and on by itself going down the road. I pulled into a parking lot and turned it off with the key. In the off position it started up on it's own. After tuning it off again, it was fine, but I noticed during it all that the radio had the "SYS" indication like the battery had been disconnected. It didn't do it again until today when I started it before work. When I got into it, the radio had the same "SYS" indication. I didn't hear it go crazy again like before and I was out there while it was running. So, what does everyone think? Solenoid, ground, short, relay?
JR Belk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

In order for the engine to start up and run the ignition switch has to be ON and in the START mode. That is the case unless, the car has a remote start system installed in it. I suspect that is what happened in your case. If your car has a START button rather than the traditional keyed ignition switch then the issue may be with that. I am not up to speed on the newer ignition system designs.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481754
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

I'm just going to assume since its an 07 that you dont have push start, but aftermarket alarms can do crazy things, if you have one.

I have seen similar issues happen with other brand cars. I don't recall any of them starting on their own though. Do you mean it shut off and then immediately came back on, as in the motor was still turning over when it came back on? Or did the motor come to a complete stop and then use the starter to start again?

That scenario would be similar to if you're driving down the road and you turn the key off but immediately put it back in the run (not start) position, it will continue to run because the motor was still turning and when you turned it back to run it added spark and fuel.

I have seen cars do this when their ignition switch was going bad. It was usually due to someone having an ass load of key chains causing excessive weight. Maybe try wiggling your key while its running to see if you can duplicate it.

Just my .02. Good luck. Maybe someone with more Subaru experience will be of better help.
Zak6182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #4
JR Belk
Scooby Newbie

I actually got the car to start today just by grabbing the battery cable harness and wiggling it. Key was not in the on position. It wasn't even in the ignition. All the connections are good, so I'm guessing it's exposed wire or just breaking down due to internal corrosion. I have a new one on the way and will go from there. We never load up keychains. I never have. I can't stand a pocket full of B.S. keys.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
JR Belk
Scooby Newbie

Also, no aftermarket remote start, or remote start in any way.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If the starter is running by moving the main cable then you must be providing voltage to the starter solenoid contact somehow. I have to assume the ignition switch is causing that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Belk View Post
Also, no aftermarket remote start, or remote start in any way.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote