Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 18, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
1st1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194358
Vehicle:
08 WRX

Default 2008 Wrx (hatch) P2006 code

Hello,

08 wrx, cat back, no power mods, daily driver and it has 287,000kms on it.

For the past two years under very specific conditions, the car will throw a P2006 (Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1))

Conditions:

1- if the outside temperature guage reads 23°C or higher, it will throw the P2006 code

2- If I let the car idle for 30-45 (during winter), once I put it in first gear and drive off, it will throw the P2006 code.

I don't feel any mechanical issues before the code is thrown nor after I clear the code with my accessport.

Once I clear the code, it only reappears if one of the two conditions are met, until today. It happened when it was 17°C outside.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

From my understanding, there isn't any TGV delete to do with a 2008 wrx.

Thanks
1st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
SlammedSix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 419926

You can do a TGV delete, it uses TGVs just like any other Subaru that comes equipped with them.

The code seem pretty straight forward and it sounds like the TGV motor may be going out or the blades are getting stuck. You will not notice an issue since the car can still get air to each cylinder.
SlammedSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
LapisLazuliSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 517512
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI
WR Blue

LapisLazuliSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
BoostRetard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 380971
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
Silver

Just wanted to share some info here, for OP and anyone else who comes along looking for TGV info/solutions. I have a 2013 WRX.

I just spent several weeks contemplating and researching what to do for a CEL I was getting for the RH (passenger side) TGV being “stuck open”. Just like OP, it wouldn’t throw a code after the engine was warm, which is to be expected as the TGVs only operate during warm up, mostly for smog friendly clean running. As far as I know all WRX models 2k and up have TGVs (and maybe before that too) but before 08 they had motors on one side and sensors on the other, and from what I read have springs preloading their positions. The dealer wanted $2600 for parts and labor to replace. The TGVs are $500 each and the intake manifold has to come off to swap them. I was sick to my stomach over this smog part bs.

In diagnosing my car I realized the 08+ TGV design has consolidated the sensor and motor into one unit that bolts onto one side of the TGV body and the other side is just blank. The RH and LH part are identical so the passenger unit’s motor sits on the front side (front of car) of the TGV and the drivers is on the rear side, harder to get to. Because the TGV holds the injectors there are two different aluminum bodies/castings, one each for top and side feed injectors and these fit WRX or STI but I’m not sure which is which (this shouldn’t be hard to figure out).

After popping off the flex tube between the air filter box and turbo inlet pipe I could access the two 10mm bolts and remove the motor. Super easy. Lots of coastal salt-air corrosion in there that penetrating oil didn’t fix. The valve shaft was smooth as butter, no stickyness at all. The motor’s gears would turn some as witness grease revealed but ultimately I discovered that 1) the unit has a magnetic sensor (Not a spring or preload) so the engine knows the valve angle, and mine wasn’t opening or closing all the way. So a servo-like drive system and a feedback loop in one sealed unit and if either subsystem fail you’re f’d, and, 2) the motor/tgv is all one $500 part from the dealer, no buying just the motor, but 3) it is my firm belief that all 08+ WRX/STI models which have TGVs, have the same motor/sensor units! I bought a pair (with motors attached) on eBay for $150 for a 2018 STI and put the motor on in 5 mins and no CEL!

So I of course must share this awesome potential for savings with my NASIOC brethren as I wouldn’t have known where to start without this site. Wahoo!
BoostRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Haevn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495950
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

i do have 2 sets of tgvs one off a 2011 wrx and other off a 2015 sti, both sets working when taking off
Haevn is offline   Reply With Quote