Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #26
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316583
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Pushed some updates to the github repo today. Added a day/night display brightness toggle (saved in EEPROM), and also uploaded the KiCad and Gerber files I used to print out a PCB (old protoboard version above, new PCB below):
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #27
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Suhrbier View Post
I'll trade you a titanium faceplate plus some $ for one of these if it will work on an 06.

Repeat after me. I will not undertake a new project, I will not undertake a new project.....
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not looking to sell or trade for these at this point. (I might change my mind if someone designed and shared a rad 3D printed enclosure )
Old 10-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #28
GalaxyWide
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383291
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Cayenne Red

This is an awesome project, thanks for posting it! It's very similar to something I've been wanting to do, right down the Teensy, form factor and data source.

I'd love to work with you on an enclosure, I have a 3D printer and I'm reasonably handy with Solidworks. Shoot me a PM or something with what you might have in mind and some dimensions, I'm no automotive designer but I can at least have fun with it

Which screen are you using? My main sticking point currently is choosing a screen that I'll be able to make a UI for and refresh fast enough...I'm a lot more familiar with the mechanical/discrete side than coding a display and UI, and I'm a bit lost.
GalaxyWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #29
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyWide View Post
This is an awesome project, thanks for posting it! It's very similar to something I've been wanting to do, right down the Teensy, form factor and data source.

I'd love to work with you on an enclosure, I have a 3D printer and I'm reasonably handy with Solidworks. Shoot me a PM or something with what you might have in mind and some dimensions, I'm no automotive designer but I can at least have fun with it

Which screen are you using? My main sticking point currently is choosing a screen that I'll be able to make a UI for and refresh fast enough...I'm a lot more familiar with the mechanical/discrete side than coding a display and UI, and I'm a bit lost.
Cool. Right now my ideas are pretty vague -- something that flows better with the lines of the car's interior, and looks less DIY/more professional. Maybe mounted in the dash vent like the Dialed Mounts AP docks (which are themselves 3D printed) -- that would hide the cable too. E.g. https://dialedmounts.com/collections...sti-dock-mount

The case would have to support repeated opening and closing too since the SD card needs to be removed to download the logs.

The hardware I used, including the screen, is listed in the README on github: https://github.com/jasminpatry/boostino#hardware. The KiCad files are there too so you can get some dimensions from that. I can take some measurements of the screen and DM them to you if you want.

The code is all there too, so you can see how I'm updating the display. In short, the canvas is double-buffered, and only the pixels that have changed are sent to the display each frame. This is done by ILI9341_t3::updateRect8BPP() in my fork of ILI9341_t3, which is called by UpdateTft() in boostino.ino.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #30
GalaxyWide
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 383291
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester XT
Cayenne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxguy View Post
Cool. Right now my ideas are pretty vague -- something that flows better with the lines of the car's interior, and looks less DIY/more professional. Maybe mounted in the dash vent like the Dialed Mounts AP docks (which are themselves 3D printed) -- that would hide the cable too. E.g. https://dialedmounts.com/collections...sti-dock-mount

The case would have to support repeated opening and closing too since the SD card needs to be removed to download the logs.

The hardware I used, including the screen, is listed in the README on github: https://github.com/jasminpatry/boostino#hardware. The KiCad files are there too so you can get some dimensions from that. I can take some measurements of the screen and DM them to you if you want.

The code is all there too, so you can see how I'm updating the display. In short, the canvas is double-buffered, and only the pixels that have changed are sent to the display each frame. This is done by ILI9341_t3::updateRect8BPP() in my fork of ILI9341_t3, which is called by UpdateTft() in boostino.ino.
I'll see what I come up with, I don't have an impreza to test with but I do have an 04 forester, and apparently they share the same defroster vents.

Thanks for the info on Github, I admit I hadn't looked at it yet so I'll check that out!
GalaxyWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #31
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Got the Tactrix-less version up and running this weekend, and pushed everything to GitHub. I switched to SMD for most components to make things fit more easily. Top is old v1 board, bottom is new v2 board:

Now I can leave the gauge plugged in without worrying about the Tactrix draining my battery
Old 12-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #32
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

It's been a few weeks, but I've been busily working away on this as time allows.

The Teensy has been great for prototyping, but it is relatively expensive and limiting in terms of form factor, so I decided to switch to a custom MCU board. I settled on an STM32 microcontroller (the STM32F429ZGT, which is roughly equivalent to Teensy 3.6 in terms of speed, flash, and RAM), and have spent the last few weeks porting everything over and working out the kinks. I'm happy to say that that's nearly done (the second revision of my PCB should be here next week, and hopefully won't have any new bugs).

I've also designed a laser-cut enclosure that I'm excited to get my hands on (should also be here next week).

Old 12-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #33
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

this thing looks sweet, i'd be interested if you are selling them
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
this thing looks sweet, i'd be interested if you are selling them
Thanks, I'm not quite at that point yet but I'm hoping to make them available for purchase soon! I have a friend testing one on his Ver.8 STI-swapped RS and it's working great for him. I will probably be looking for more testers in a few weeks...
Old 12-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #35
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

This is cool, but when you are ready to actually offer a product for sale here you WILL have to do this-
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1692256
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #36
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
This is cool, but when you are ready to actually offer a product for sale here you WILL have to do this-
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1692256
Yep, thanks, I'm aware
Old 07-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #37
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

First update here in a while! I’ve been more active on IG — follow https://instagram.com/gfxgauge for more frequent updates. Since my last post here I’ve gone through a few PCB revisions and added support for oil temp and pressure sensors, along with a bunch of software improvements (menus for choosing what to poll & log, an info display, support for a wide range of subie models, etc.).

I’ll be at the BigNW meet this weekend in Portland OR if anyone wants a demo. DM me here or on IG, or email [email protected].