Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #76
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

I've never heard of new clutch smell man, only burning clutch smell

might just be jerky because it's all new and need to wear in a bit
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #77
SHLwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520096

2012 WRX and on my 2nd bad TOB as well. I honestly just think the OEM setup is junk. Sadly it's already left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm getting rid of the car and will probably be my last Subaru. Best of luck
SHLwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #78
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru

Member#: 50586
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
64 Impala

I don't blame you. For a simple part like a TOB there should be zero problems with it. Subaru probably knows there is a problem but won't rectify it for every single owner with a mass recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHLwrx View Post
2012 WRX and on my 2nd bad TOB as well. I honestly just think the OEM setup is junk. Sadly it's already left a bad taste in my mouth so I'm getting rid of the car and will probably be my last Subaru. Best of luck
murrdogg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:18 AM   #79
SHLwrx
Scooby Newbie

Worst part about it is the dealership I brought my car to has acknowledged that its a reoccuring problem with the WRX/STis. Sadly I'm out of warranty now and best I got from SOA was a voucher for 500$ towards the breakdown/labor/parts.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:20 AM   #80
SHLwrx
Scooby Newbie

I wonder if the aftermarket TOBs are any better than the OEM garbage
Old 11-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #81
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 495630

Quote:
I wonder if the aftermarket TOBs are any better than the OEM garbage
when I put my exedy HD clutch in it came with an OEM TOB...havent had ANY issues. Exedy is the OEM manufacturer for subaru, so even there aftermarket up grade clutches for high performance will have OEM manufacturing processes. The clutch I put in is the same one subaru spec'd for the Cosworth S/C cars sold in the U.K.
I would actually be more nervous about going with a different manufacturer that might be using less quality control on the ancillary parts in a kit like the TOB that arent manufactured to OEM standards. Same reason I only stick with OEM manufactured parts in timing belt kits. Not willing to gamble on timing belt sproket bearings, water pump or tensioner unless its OEM manufacture supplier.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #82
CBSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424895
Vehicle:
2016 WRX - (SOLD!)

Quote:
That was the last straw of a string of issues that make me dump my 2016 WRX. First TOB starting squealing before the break-in period was over. The 2nd one, my dealer refused to replace with the new TOB part citing that the SOA TSB wasn’t for Canada because the cars are built for different markets. Yeah, no.... built in the same plant and has the same crap part number.

Then after kinda winning the argument on that, they rejected replacing it under warranty because the TOB noise is clearly due to clutch wear and all of it needs to be replaced and this is a wear item.

Subaru Canada was even more useless than my dealer which was quite the feat. Great customer service of being able to tell you to f*** o** politely and that they will always side with the dealer. Took their advice and this is my first and last Subaru.

This along with constant P420 codes they couldn’t solve, radar faults, brutal rev-hang, pinging on stock tune even with 94 octane among other issues made me ditch it before something big blew up and I would be left holding the bag.

I see the new TSB is not just for the TOB, but now has replacement parts for the entire clutch system even the pedals for the 2015+ MYs
CBSWRX is offline   Reply With Quote