Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 19, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #8626
97OBLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 224432
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle:
1997 Outback Limited
2012 DGM Impreza Hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-n-zics View Post
Did you make up your press or follow some instructions? Is it hinged? I've been wanting to make one for quite some time, but I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to it. What do you use to heat up the kydex?
I spent a good amount of time with Google learning about the different types and came up with my own:

https://i.imgur.com/J2xtoix.jpg

The foam came from amazon, a few spare door hinges and some cheap toggle clamps to lock it all down. It works surprisingly well for how simple it is.

The oven came from Goodwill and was the most expensive part of the setup $30. It kicks ass though, dehydrator, convection broiler, etc...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
97OBLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #8627
BReehill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 369739
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia
Default

ive seen a lot more holsters with that "claw"

what is its actual point? never had my hands on one, only seen pictures of them.
BReehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #8628
4-n-zics
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 228961
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Vehicle:
2016 4Runner TRDP
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97OBLimited View Post
I spent a good amount of time with Google learning about the different types and came up with my own:


The foam came from amazon, a few spare door hinges and some cheap toggle clamps to lock it all down. It works surprisingly well for how simple it is.

The oven came from Goodwill and was the most expensive part of the setup $30. It kicks ass though, dehydrator, convection broiler, etc...
Thank


Quote:
Originally Posted by BReehill View Post
ive seen a lot more holsters with that "claw"

what is its actual point? never had my hands on one, only seen pictures of them.
It presses on the backside of the belt and pushes the gun in towards the body. It helps with better concealment.
4-n-zics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #8629
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
20 Audi S4

Default

So, i bought a suppressor a few weeks ago. Its still in jail for a while. Why didnt you people warn me of this worm hole of spending it would send me down? Taper mount muzzle devices for the rifles, a new 14.5 pinned .300 blk upper so i have a good sub rifle, a new lower and complete upper because my new 14.5 pinned .300 blk rifle is too long with a can and i dont have a “pistol” lower. And finally a new pistol with suppressor sights and threaded barrel.
n2oiroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #8630
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2011 White Corolla
Over 400hp

Default

Sounds like you should get an HK45 Tactical; I happen to know a guy...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #8631
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
20 Audi S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Sounds like you should get an HK45 Tactical; I happen to know a guy...
I dont have a .45 can or ammo. But i probably will have both by the end of this.
n2oiroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #8632
Pantyraider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178062
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NutBucket is stalking me
Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
I dont have a .45 can or ammo. But i probably will have both by the end of this.
I know a guy that's selling what you want cheap.
Pantyraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #8633
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee'ish
Vehicle:
20 Audi S4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReehill View Post
want to sell it to me? shoot me a pm if you do!

also found a pretty amazing deal on a can and couldn't pass it up. looks like the 9k made its way onto the short list!
A guy i work with might want it, ill let you know if it falls thogh.
n2oiroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #8634
erm016
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285387
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
So, i bought a suppressor a few weeks ago. Its still in jail for a while. Why didnt you people warn me of this worm hole of spending it would send me down? Taper mount muzzle devices for the rifles, a new 14.5 pinned .300 blk upper so i have a good sub rifle, a new lower and complete upper because my new 14.5 pinned .300 blk rifle is too long with a can and i dont have a "pistol" lower. And finally a new pistol with suppressor sights and threaded barrel.
haha, I'm headed down the hole as well.

First it was a simple 9mm, then an AR15, now parts, ammo, optics, and now I'm strongly considering a suppressor and then building an AR15 pistol. I have watched more YouTube videos since I got the AR (last month) than I have in at least 3-4 years combined.

erm016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #8635
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

What do you guys think about the long eye relief scope, scout rifle concept? Outdated?
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #8636
Scala
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274028
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default

Thinking about buying a lever action rifle to go with a newly acquired .45 Colt caliber SA El Patron revolver. Matching the calibers would make sense since I won't be hunting with it and the cost of the .45 Colt rounds is much less than the 45-70 or the 30-30 etc.

Which rifle to get? Lots of options out there and I just ordered a catalog on the Henry website. I like the looks of the Golden Boy with its octagon barrel but a case hardened receiver would match the looks of my El Patron better.

What's your thinking about lever action rifles and the various calibers?
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #8637
97OBLimited
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 224432
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Vehicle:
1997 Outback Limited
2012 DGM Impreza Hatch

Default

45-70 or bust. Since I have a SiCo Hybrid, I feel that I have an obligation to get a 45-70 and suppress it.
97OBLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #8638
zombiekiller
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 167010
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Somewhere in the Ford Galaxie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Thinking about buying a lever action rifle to go with a newly acquired .45 Colt caliber SA El Patron revolver. Matching the calibers would make sense since I won't be hunting with it and the cost of the .45 Colt rounds is much less than the 45-70 or the 30-30 etc.

Which rifle to get? Lots of options out there and I just ordered a catalog on the Henry website. I like the looks of the Golden Boy with its octagon barrel but a case hardened receiver would match the looks of my El Patron better.

What's your thinking about lever action rifles and the various calibers?
45LC SBR... or bust. chiappa 1892 mare's leg. form 1 it and buy the stock that matches from chiappa. I love mine.
zombiekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #8639
dr_wheel
has never eaten a strawberry
 
Member#: 60106
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Pennsyltucky
Vehicle:
I eat pieces of
* like you for breakfast

Default

If you're looking for a "budget-minded" .45LC rifle, it's pretty much a 2-horse race: Marlin or Henry. I'm a huge Marlin fanboy, but I'd have to recommend the Henry here. It's heavier (not a concern for you since you won't be hunting), but it is the better-built gun. Marlin's lever guns haven't been quite the same since Remington bought them out and moved production (although supposedly, they've gotten things back under control again).

As far as other calibers? 30-30 and 45-70 are both great in their own right. But again, I'm not sure I'd be looking at either for non-hunting purposes (certainly not the 45-70 with the $/rd).
dr_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #8640
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
Thinking about buying a lever action rifle to go with a newly acquired .45 Colt caliber SA El Patron revolver. Matching the calibers would make sense since I won't be hunting with it and the cost of the .45 Colt rounds is much less than the 45-70 or the 30-30 etc.

Which rifle to get? Lots of options out there and I just ordered a catalog on the Henry website. I like the looks of the Golden Boy with its octagon barrel but a case hardened receiver would match the looks of my El Patron better.

What's your thinking about lever action rifles and the various calibers?
Why not get a Uberti to match your pistol? I'm not sure anyone else makes a case hardened receiver lever gun.
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #8641
Scala
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274028
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylazur View Post
Why not get a Uberti to match your pistol? I'm not sure anyone else makes a case hardened receiver lever gun.
The thought came up but the Henry is made in the USA with US materials and their action is buttersmooth. Waiting for their catalog as they offer custom editions and maybe there is a case hardened option possible.

Then there is the issue of shooting the .45 LC +P round and while I've read that the Henry is fine with it I don't know about the Uberti rifle.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #8642
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
The thought came up but the Henry is made in the USA with US materials and their action is buttersmooth. Waiting for their catalog as they offer custom editions and maybe there is a case hardened option possible.

Then there is the issue of shooting the .45 LC +P round and while I've read that the Henry is fine with it I don't know about the Uberti rifle.
If you're not concerned about a matching finish, then I think buying a Henry would be a great idea.

I think I like the way the more classic models look vs the Henry's models. I wish they'd make their 1860 in more than just .44-40. I'd like to have one in .357/.38.
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #8643
Scala
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274028
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default

The Henry 1860, beautiful rifle. "You load it on Sunday and shoot it all week."
I think they offer it in .45 LC as well as the 44-40 but the cost of the rounds is about the same when you buy the .45+P.

And look here, they do make a case hardened in two calibers: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/colo...dened-edition/

Last edited by Scala; 12-04-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #8644
tobylazur
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 150289
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: PHX, AZ
Vehicle:
2006 SV650, 05 CTSV
1972 Travelall

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
The Henry 1860, beautiful rifle. "You load it on Sunday and shoot it all week."
I think they offer it in .45 LC as well as the 44-40 but the cost of the rounds is about the same when you buy the .45+P.

And look here, they do make a case hardened in two calibers: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/colo...dened-edition/
this one too:

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-...y-iron-framed/

It looks like the original 1860 comes in .45LC, but not that one?
tobylazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #8645
oct1285
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 64665
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1997 Toyota
Blurple

Default

Does anyone have any magpul furniture for a AR they want to get rid of? Specifically looking for vertical fore grip and pistol grip. Looking to make my issued M4 tacticool
oct1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #8646
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
Does anyone have any magpul furniture for a AR they want to get rid of? Specifically looking for vertical fore grip and pistol grip. Looking to make my issued M4 tacticool
I have an FDE MOE rifle length stock, brand new in the box
Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #8647
Scala
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274028
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default

Shot a few short barrel revolvers yesterday, all with .38 Special wadcutters and .357, on bullseye targets at 25 yds.

-S&W J frame $495.00 couldn't place 5 shots on the paper.
-Chiappa $1,150 mistimed 2 out 6.
-Ruger $549.00 OK but cheaply made. All 5 outside of 7 ring.
-Kimber K6 high quality - good shooter, best trigger but DA only and $800. All 6 inside of 6 ring.
-My own 40 year old S&W Model 13-3 placed all 6 in the 9/10.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #8648
BReehill
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 369739
Join Date: Sep 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post
My own 40 year old S&W Model 13-3 placed all 6 in the 9/10.

Same thing over here. i shoot my grandfathers ruger blackhawk 40+ years old. i shoot it better than any of the modern guns i own
BReehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #8649
erm016
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285387
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
Does anyone have any magpul furniture for a AR they want to get rid of? Specifically looking for vertical fore grip and pistol grip. Looking to make my issued M4 tacticool
palmetto state has some good deals going on for the holidays, in case you can't find something.
erm016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #8650
Scala
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274028
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2018 WRX + EcuTec

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReehill View Post
Same thing over here. i shoot my grandfathers ruger blackhawk 40+ years old. i shoot it better than any of the modern guns i own
I might well be as old as your grandfather and I'm here to tell you that if you want a modern wheel gun as good as they came 40 years ago out of the box you'll have to pay huge $$$ to a good custom shop. Welcome to the age of plastic everything.
Scala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.