Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Z/WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129301
Default considering a 2.5 RS

Hello, so I'm considering getting a 2000 2.5 RS as a fun weekend car for my wife. The one in question is a 2000 with 148k miles. Has some basic mods like headers, exhaused, lowering springs. Otherwise looks stock. Decent condition body for age but has not been garaged so pain is dull. Doesn't help it's silver which dulls worse with age. According to the guy the only issues with it are the A/C compressor needs replacing and he suspects the fuel pump is going out. He states that when starting the car you often have to hold the gas pedal down in order to start it. It's been his daily driver for the last 6 years so at least I know it can get around. He is asking 5k for it. I haven't yet seen it in person or driven it as it's about 45 min away and i'm waiting for the weekend. However I'm trying to see if he is willing to take 3k for it as it seems like it's going to need at least 1k in repairs and tune up, if not more once I see it in person. I know the 2.5 RS is a rare car but not sure going price on these now and days. Also I know these cars can have head gasket issues. He states he hasn't had any in the last 6 years and doesn't know if the previous owner did either. I know the SOHC is less likely to cause the engine to blow but still, is this something I should look to replace immediately just to be safe??
Z/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
serrilion
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 348982
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 TS
Multi

with that many miles the gaskets should have been done.

The fuel filter could be plugged, when you turn the key listen for the pump, it should prime. They like all subarus have rust / rot spots, could have been repaired always bring a magnent to test.
Headers and intake are what they are, but lowering springs I'd be worried depending on brand.
I would agree 3k is a fair starting price, but dont be suprised if he seems shocked.

Other than that remeber to bring a 10mm with you to inspect timing belt and when running give it a good listen while hoods open for any odd noises aka timing belt componants ect
serrilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
00redobs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 325233
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
Hello, so I'm considering getting a 2000 2.5 RS as a fun weekend car for my wife. The one in question is a 2000 with 148k miles. Has some basic mods like headers, exhaused, lowering springs. Otherwise looks stock. Decent condition body for age but has not been garaged so pain is dull. Doesn't help it's silver which dulls worse with age. According to the guy the only issues with it are the A/C compressor needs replacing and he suspects the fuel pump is going out. He states that when starting the car you often have to hold the gas pedal down in order to start it. It's been his daily driver for the last 6 years so at least I know it can get around. He is asking 5k for it. I haven't yet seen it in person or driven it as it's about 45 min away and i'm waiting for the weekend. However I'm trying to see if he is willing to take 3k for it as it seems like it's going to need at least 1k in repairs and tune up, if not more once I see it in person. I know the 2.5 RS is a rare car but not sure going price on these now and days. Also I know these cars can have head gasket issues. He states he hasn't had any in the last 6 years and doesn't know if the previous owner did either. I know the SOHC is less likely to cause the engine to blow but still, is this something I should look to replace immediately just to be safe??
Is the car your referring to in Vegas?

I wouldn't replace the head gaskets if it isn't leaking. The valve cover gaskets are probably leaking though.
00redobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Z/WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129301

Yeah, car is in Vegas. We found out after talking with the guy a bit more that the car actually has a salvage title from a rollover accident. He states it was before the time he owned it (he has had it for 6 years). But given this is just a fun car I decided to hold off. Never liked the idea of buying a salvage car and given the price being asked I definitely didn't think it was worth it. So the search continues trying to find the wife a fun weekend toy
Z/WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
gseandsm
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
Its a great little car!
gseandsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
ttnio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 515073

this impreza platform is getting scarce.

the good ones are already taken and cared for.
ttnio is offline   Reply With Quote