Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
X49
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 386600
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default Trunk won't latch

So last winter I had a problem with my trunk not latching in cold weather. Lubed up the latching mechanism, and the weather got warmer, and the problem disappeared. Now that the weather is colder again it is not latching closed.

I initially thought it was the latching mechanism that was the issue, but it latches just fine when i push my key into it, and releases fine with the emergency release. The mechanism moves freely and is well lubed. The bolts holding the latch to the trunk are tight.

I've used the entire adjustment range of the metal striker at the bottom of the trunk, both left/right, and raised/lowered, and it still won't latch. Don't know why it's only an issue in cold weather. Metal contraction? The striker doesn't look bent or worn. It seems like it doesn't have enough adjustment range and needs to be higher than it can be set. Maybe I can take it off and drill larger bolt holes into the plate?

Anybody else have this issue?
X49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
X49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

So I found this. Apparently there was a defect with the 2015 trunk latches. I guess I need a new latch.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/294/design...subaru-wrx-sti
Old 11-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
X49
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

So I fixed it. In case anybody has the same issue, here is what I did.

The issue was with the motorized actuator module, which contains a couple of plastic gears and a spring to spin the gear back to its initial position after the motor opens the lock. The spring wasn't rotating the gear back into position because the gear wasn't turning very well.

I took everything apart, removed the gear and spring. There was dirt mixed in with the white factory grease. I cleaned it and applied WD40 Silicone lube, which didn't work that well. Then white lithium grease, which worked better, and was maybe what was used from the factory. I also had to be mindful of how much I tightened one of the screws connecting the motor module to the hinge, as too much pressure would warp the plastic housing and prevent the gear from spinning well. It's the screw nearest the emergency release. It all works for now.