Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 446616
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default Garrett TMIC [Install/Review]

Garrett makes a really high quality TMIC option for our cars. I went with this option over competitors for a few reasons. For one, it's designed to work with the stock charge pipe and manifold. Fits right up like OEM without additional silicone couplers aka more failure points. It also allows the stock engine cover to be retained with minimal trimming. I like the look of the engine bay as is and wanted to keep the cover. The testing data put out by Garrett is pretty impressive and considering the stock turbo on our cars is made by them I'm confident in the quality of it.
More information can be found on the Garrett Motion website. It's p/n 891185-6001. I purchased mine from New Provisions Racing, as usual Nick beat the price of everyone else by a significant margin.
Official install instructions from Garrett: https://www.garrettmotion.com/wp-con...structions.pdf
Comparison vs stock:

Installed without engine cover:

Installation is fairly straightforward but I did run into a couple of issues that I wanted to highlight. It's way beefier than the stock unit, and wrestling it into place was difficult. I trimmed the charge pipe holder to allow it to move freely which let me push it to the side and provided more wiggle room. Once clamped onto the inlet port the charge pipe is completely solid, doing this had no negative effect on things.

On my maiden voyage post-install I had an awful buzzing sound in between 1k-2k rpm. Upon inspection I found what I believe to be one of the CVT and front diff breathers resting against the bottom of the core. Given the added thickness it protrudes deeper than the stock unit and made contact. I simply adjusted the angle to where it wasn't touching and that resolved it. Sort of.

After moving the breathers the buzzing was less prominent but still there. Upon further inspection I found this. That's the bracket stud pushed right up against the core. It frustratingly dented a few fins but thankfully didn't punch through. I removed the intercooler and unbolted the bracket, it's held in with 2 14mm bolts. Took it to my benchtop grinder and ground it flush with the nut.

No more issues or noises after that was resolved. Wish I had known before installing it but there was no way to tell as it's tucked way underneath the cooler core. I had to shove my phone down in the engine bay to take those shots as it's not visible at all from above.

After finalizing the install I trimmed the engine cover per the instructions. It fits perfectly but the lack of upper brackets leaves it free to flop around. I plan to get some flat aluminum stock and make some brackets to utilize the original push pins.
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #2
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Picked up a 1/16" thick by 1" wide piece of aluminum flat stock from Lowe's for about 5 bucks. Taking exact measurements would've been difficult so I went trial and error, tweaking and adjusting as needed until a perfect fit was achieved. Used some 1" OD washers as a guide to grind down the rounded half-circle. To finish them off I wet sanded with 1200 grit to give a nice matte finish, I considered painting them but I'm glad I stuck with the raw aluminum look.

Last edited by andrew_l_s; 09-20-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511379
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

This is very interesting and I'm glad to see that there are more options now out there that are high quality pieces that retain the stock engine cover. It may cost more in the end for me since I'm getting tuned now, but I will pay for a retune later after I save up and get this.

Have you also thought about upgrading the charge pipe as well? Since it's close to stock fitment, I would see if you can snag a Perrin, by far my favorite I've seen.
EvaUnit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
spdracerut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 269226

Interesting about the bracket clash. I'm wonder if that's due to the variation of the CVT transmission as I'm pretty sure the car used for design was a manual.
spdracerut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Winterhawk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463763
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

I wish they made one for the GD series cars. I worked for Garrett for 15 years, and their CAC technology is the best. Excellent fin design and materials, brazing and welding process, etc.
Winterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit01 View Post
This is very interesting and I'm glad to see that there are more options now out there that are high quality pieces that retain the stock engine cover. It may cost more in the end for me since I'm getting tuned now, but I will pay for a retune later after I save up and get this.

Have you also thought about upgrading the charge pipe as well? Since it's close to stock fitment, I would see if you can snag a Perrin, by far my favorite I've seen.
I was researching different brands for awhile and once I came across this one I was set on it. If you look at the post above I added pics of my brackets to retain the upper engine cover clips. The hood scoop boot pushes down on it so it's not really going anywhere without them but I like the extra security.

Perrin is definitely my favorite charge pipe option as well. I've considered it but haven't pulled the trigger yet. May do so before protune, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracerut View Post
Interesting about the bracket clash. I'm wonder if that's due to the variation of the CVT transmission as I'm pretty sure the car used for design was a manual.
I thought that was a possibility, but I looked up the parts diagrams and the same bracket setup is used for all 2015+ WRXs. The lower portion of the bracket mounts to the engine block so it's unaffected by transmission choice. The breather rubbing issue is definitely CVT only but a minimal concern compared to a stud punching into the cooler core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk View Post
I wish they made one for the GD series cars. I worked for Garrett for 15 years, and their CAC technology is the best. Excellent fin design and materials, brazing and welding process, etc.
That is awesome to hear and reaffirms my choice even more. Based on my research it seemed to be the most well-engineered top mount option. My thinking was if they know how to make turbos they should know how to cool the air coming out of them lol. But yeah in terms of direct fit options they only support like half a dozen cars, definitely disappointing.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
SkrubbinBubb1es
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511269
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Great write up, thank you.
SkrubbinBubb1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511379
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

I definitely would in regards to the Perrin Charge Pipe, I've noticed that my spool up is improved. I would've liked to do a Stage 1 tune, just bone stock and then add this and see what the improvements were in total.
EvaUnit01 is offline   Reply With Quote