Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
Brew78
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 465505
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Default Best way to repair tipped/torn ceiling fabric?

Was throwing out a busted up canopy last weekend that got destroyed in a wind storm before I could get it down. Several of the joints popped, there were some broken pipes, it just really wasn't repairable. So I bring it to the transfer station to chuck the frame in the scrap metal recycling tub.

It still folded up nice enough, but it was catching a little when trying to pull it out of the back of my Impreza. I couldn't see and therefore didn't notice that one of the broken pipes had angled up and was sticking into the ceiling. I thought it was just catching on the rear center head rest.

Well, I pulled a bit too hard and it came free, but it also ripped a series of tears into the ceiling, all in a line. The rear most one is the biggest and I can pretty clearly see the small triangle of fabric hanging down in the rearview mirror.

Is this sort of thing even repairable? Do I need to somehow replace the whole ceiling? Is there some brand or type of fabric tape that will at least patch it up to make it less noticeable? I'm not especially handy as far as this sort of work goes, so I'm willing to sacrifice some level of how it looks if it'll be something I can actually do.

Thanks in advance!
Brew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Smurftastic
Scooby Guru

Member#: 243697
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 TOPSCOOB031
HighwaystarGarage

Yes. Find an upholstery fabric of your liking (most people choose something like black microsuede). Take out the headliner. Spray the entire thing with 3M 77 Spray and have a friend help you roll it on thoroughly. You can also pay to have this done, but it's not hard to do yourself.
Smurftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Brew78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Ok so pretty much replacement then.
I'm not sure I want a black ceiling, I'm fine with the light gray (tan maybe?) that it is now, but I'm sure there's plenty of fabric choices out there.

So when you say to take out the headliner, does that mean just the fabric layer or the foam too? Or is the foam glued to the inside of the roof and wouldn't come out anyway?
Old 04-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
Smurftastic
Scooby Guru

Member#: 243697
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2002 TOPSCOOB031
HighwaystarGarage

The headliner comes out as one entire unit. Take off all the pillars, then it snaps out. There are probably guides on youtube, but for all cars it's pretty the same. The fabric is glued to the headliner, but the headliner just snaps out.
Smurftastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 PM   #5
moral hazard
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323759
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2010 legacy GT
Black

Just a thought, if it's a small area you might be able to use iron-on hemming tape.

Put the hemming tape under the damaged/hanging part of the headliner and use an iron to heat up the area for a bit.

Another option is to use upholstery screw pins to keep the hanging part in place. Won't look great but stops the torn part hanging down I guess.
moral hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:28 AM   #6
V70R
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew78 View Post
Ok so pretty much replacement then.
I'm not sure I want a black ceiling, I'm fine with the light gray (tan maybe?) that it is now, but I'm sure there's plenty of fabric choices out there.

So when you say to take out the headliner, does that mean just the fabric layer or the foam too? Or is the foam glued to the inside of the roof and wouldn't come out anyway?
Most automotive headliners feature foam backing on the fabric to give a small amount of cushion when mounted to the rigid headliner board.

One suggestion- consider finding a comparable Impreza being parted from an auto dismantler close to home, and buy the headliner. It’s not a very desirable item from most dismantlers, and could be purchased in the $75 range quite easily for a clean example. HTH!
V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Brew78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't know the headliner was a single snap-in unit. I might keep an eye out for a replacement (my car's relatively common) and if not might try a repair.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470845
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

I'd find a place that can do minor interior repairs and let them handle it. There is a place called DR. Vinyl local to me and this is exactly the kind of repairs they specialize in. They fixed a tear in one of my leather seats in the past, and it was a 99% perfect match. I am not sure if there a national outfit or not. If not I'm sure there are similar businesses out there. Having them fix it should be under $100. I should mention they are mobile and come to you which is a nice touch also.

Last edited by Fndragn; 04-21-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Fndragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Manny1274
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew78 View Post
Was throwing out a busted up canopy last weekend that got destroyed in a wind storm before I could get it down. Several of the joints popped, there were some broken pipes, it just really wasn't repairable. So I bring it to the transfer station to chuck the frame in the scrap metal recycling tub.

It still folded up nice enough, but it was catching a little when trying to pull it out of the back of my Impreza. I couldn't see and therefore didn't notice that one of the broken pipes had angled up and was sticking into the ceiling. I thought it was just catching on the rear center head rest.

Well, I pulled a bit too hard and it came free, but it also ripped a series of tears into the ceiling, all in a line. The rear most one is the biggest and I can pretty clearly see the small triangle of fabric hanging down in the rearview mirror.

Is this sort of thing even repairable? Do I need to somehow replace the whole ceiling? Is there some brand or type of fabric tape that will at least patch it up to make it less noticeable? I'm not especially handy as far as this sort of work goes, so I'm willing to sacrifice some level of how it looks if it'll be something I can actually do.

Thanks in advance!

It takes a while but just keep pulling and tear as much as u can out
Manny1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Brew78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fndragn View Post
I'd find a place that can do minor interior repairs and let them handle it. There is a place called DR. Vinyl local to me and this is exactly the kind of repairs they specialize in. They fixed a tear in one of my leather seats in the past, and it was a 99% perfect match. I am not sure if there a national outfit or not. If not I'm sure there are similar businesses out there. Having them fix it should be under $100. I should mention they are mobile and come to you which is a nice touch also.
Cool, thanks for the tip! I randomly remembered earlier today that I never took a photo of the damage. Here's a shot taken over my shoulder:

https://img.nasioc.com/image/mSrIj
Old 05-24-2021, 12:29 AM   #11
kdavis123
*** Banned ***

Member#: 524478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurftastic View Post
Yes. Find an upholstery fabric of your liking (most people choose something like black microsuede). Take out the headliner. Spray the entire thing with 3M 77 Spray and have a friend help you roll it on thoroughly. You can also pay to have this done, but it's not hard to do yourself.
Agree with you. 3M 77 Spray or 3M 08090 would be a good choice. And it is probably easy to do it yourself without paying as it may cost a lot of money if you bring a car to services.
kdavis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #12
Brew78
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza

Ok just to be clear because I'm obviously a dunce, but you guys are talking about removing the headliner, gluing new fabric onto it, then replacing it back into the car?