Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Opposed_forces
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 506628
Default Wrx with sohc heads ej255/251

For starters I’ll say I did search and didn’t find any definitive answers, I found similar questions and the only answers were go search. Back story: I have a 2004 Saab 92-x turbo with a bad engine (I will call it a wrx from now on). I plan on putting an engine in the car for a few months and then transplanting it into my 1966 vw bug. The Saab will just be used to dial in the car and make sure it runs good. I have an ej255 short block and I want to put sohc heads in it and run it with the stock wrx harness and pcm. Ideally I’d like to use 251 heads because I have a rebuilt set. I know the heads will physically fit and the turbo will have some clearance issues that can be worked out. I know I will need to plumb oil and coolant to the turbo. What I’m not sure about is ignition coils and camshaft gears. The wrx uses Coil on plugs and the 251/253 heads use conventional wires. Does subaru make a coil on plug coil from a later model sohc engine that I can fit on a 251 head and be compatible with the wrx harness? I can tig a bung to bolt down the coil if needed. Will the camshaft sensor read the sohc cam gear properly? Also if anyone has done a similar conversion I’d love some feedback.
Opposed_forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru

Member#: 158864
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

nope, won't happen. all kind of sensor/ecu problems. you can swap shortblocks between cars but not heads.

check out rs25.com for a wealth of guys that have done this.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
Opposed_forces
Scooby Newbie

Can you elaborate on all kinds of sensor/ ECU problems? The only sensor that would be swapped/different is the camshaft sensor. I searched rs25 but most of the information is about putting a turbo wrx engine in a car that didn’t come with a turbo. My car doesn’t have avcs and neither would the heads id be pitting on. The coils and the cam gear are the only things that I can see causing an issue.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru

Member#: 158864
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

yes, which changes everything. also depending on your model years you'd go from cable to fly by wire.

search dohc to sohc conversion on rs25.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Opposed_forces
Scooby Newbie

There is no information about converting a wrx engine with wrx ecm to use sohc heads. I-wire and outfront both said the cam sensor will read properly. Now I just need to figure out ignition coils. If anyone has done this conversion and has input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
Einimas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 176111

It should be possible to run sohc, coil with custom engine harness, with four diodes on signal side (bridging 1,2 via diode and 3,4 via diode).
Einimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #7
Einimas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 176111

If you are still going this way. Today I tried putting ej205 coil in ej201 and the boot doesnt even reach the plug, so go with sohc coil.
Einimas is offline   Reply With Quote