Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Kgrant11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503743
Default 2009 Subaru impreza 2.5i

Hey guys, just looking for some guidance since I cant seem to find it anywhere else, I'm looking at getting aftermarket headlights, however they are only compatible with models that have HID headlights. So can someone tell me where to find information such as if my car is already HID, or something different entirely? I know it's a projector lense but just dont know where to find if it is HID and compatible with the aftermarket headlights. Thanks for the help! Car is an 09 impreza 2.5I base model.
Kgrant11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Kickinbeatz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497677
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Premium
WRB

I can nearly guarantee a base model anything will not have HID headlights. You most likely have regular old halogen light bulbs.
Kickinbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Nope only the STi would have HID's, you have halogens.
Why are you looking for aftermarket headlights? Just about 100% of them are crappy in both performance and build quality. If you actually want better lighting you can do the H9 mod for just the cost of a set of off-the-shelf bulbs from the parts store and a few seconds with a pair of cutters.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2083911
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Bulabog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgrant11 View Post
Hey guys, just looking for some guidance since I cant seem to find it anywhere else, I'm looking at getting aftermarket headlights, however they are only compatible with models that have HID headlights. So can someone tell me where to find information such as if my car is already HID, or something different entirely? I know it's a projector lense but just dont know where to find if it is HID and compatible with the aftermarket headlights. Thanks for the help! Car is an 09 impreza 2.5I base model.
Have you seen my headlights for sale? Those are oem HIDs. Will fit your impreza plug and play.
Bulabog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Kgrant11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 503743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Nope only the STi would have HID's, you have halogens.
Why are you looking for aftermarket headlights? Just about 100% of them are crappy in both performance and build quality. If you actually want better lighting you can do the H9 mod for just the cost of a set of off-the-shelf bulbs from the parts store and a few seconds with a pair of cutters.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2083911
Mainly I like the look of them, not to concerned about lighting not being the greatest, but my oem headlights are damaged under the surface where you can see the spider web crack look that they get. So for the price of buying another oem set I figured I'd get aftermarket instead and stand out a bit more
Kgrant11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Choosing lights based solely on appearance is not a good idea, since this is a safety item (both yours and others). You can source a set of used OEM lights from a junkyard or through the classifieds (here and elsewhere), either halogens from an Impreza/WRX or HID's from an STi.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Sport
6MT

You can also consider a fun weekend project, and retrofit bixenon projectors into your headlight housing. It was the best mod I ever did to my 2008 2.5i.
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Lilyjess18
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoton View Post
You can also consider a fun weekend project, and retrofit bixenon projectors into your headlight housing. It was the best mod I ever did to my 2008 2.5i.

Can you give me a little more info on that? Sounds like something I could handle
Lilyjess18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru

Member#: 141373
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Sport
6MT

Sure!
1. You need a pair of retroquick projectors for your 2009
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...EZA?quantity=1

2. In short: Headlights in the oven, pry carefully the lens, replace the projectors, reseal the lens, put back headlamps, attach the wires.

There is a lot of info scattered around this forum and Youtube. Few references below (unfortunately the original photos are gone) - this what I used as a guide. It's a full day of work, if you go slowly, and can seem scary at a few moments. Never required any further repairs, and having bixenon headlamps was an absolute blessing in intercity night driving. Given the globes offer you a high beam function, what I also did was to re-wire the OEM high beams (inner bulbs) to a separate dashboard switch. That way, the stock headlamp controls (off, low, high) controlled the HIDs only. The few times that I did need extra lighting, I flicked the stock highs with the side switch.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2174415
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2237956
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2459405
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote