Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #26
socal805
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booki View Post
Thought I would bump this up, as I think I have a found to the noise my car made.

Will be testing it out shortly.

Ok I have found the source of my noise, where the clutch fork and slave cylinder contact is the source of my noise.

When the car is idling the clutch fork rattles against the slave cylinder causing a whine/squealing noise.

I put some grease on it and there is no noise now! Bad part is it came back, so I assume I will need to use a better quality grease.
Hello! I know this is a very old post but this result came up when I searched for this same problem that I am having with my 09 Outback Sport (basically an Impreza). I have had this for 2 years and no two mechanics have the same diagnosis! But they all have put grease on it to temporarily quiet the noise. So my question is, @Booki - what part did you actually grease and what type of grease did you use? Any help would be grateful! I am so tired of the noise but I am not due for a clutch replacement for another another 2 years.
socal805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #27
MMZ_Kask
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488715

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
Hello! I know this is a very old post but this result came up when I searched for this same problem that I am having with my 09 Outback Sport (basically an Impreza). I have had this for 2 years and no two mechanics have the same diagnosis! But they all have put grease on it to temporarily quiet the noise. So my question is, @Booki - what part did you actually grease and what type of grease did you use? Any help would be grateful! I am so tired of the noise but I am not due for a clutch replacement for another another 2 years.
Would be where the slave cylinder piston contacts the clutch fork coming out of the bell housing.

I'm not familiar with your particular model, but this Google image of an Outback is what it probably looks like:

MMZ_Kask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #28
RedMerc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480703

So im no expert, but am garage certified to break things.

I had a gnarly squeal (Tob) at around 65k with my 2014 wrx. The videos posted on this thread were half the noise i was getting. So went for new clutch and flywheel (act hd street and streelite flywheel, now i can hear the tranny slack at certain rpms hahah yay, but that's another topic). When i was in there you could definitely tell the TOB was shot and wearing on the tranny input shaft. So i did the sleeve and larger TOB as a remedy. Worked great, and i believe is still functioning properly...

Fast forward 10k miles and now im getting the above mentioned easy cherps, once everything is warmed up, if i let the clutch out I'll have the little cherping unless i tap it and for the most part the noise goes away... minus yesterday after a run up to Mt. Blady, now the little cherp crap seems to not go away as well. Mind you, this noise pales in comparison to the TOB noise.

I also got the squeak in the pedal hahah, humble rumble kit installed, but still there. Clutch pedal tube may be cracked and need to replace assembly. I mention this as it may be compounding my problem...but moving on to the point.

Being ive adjusted the pedal....slightly for more push length to hopefully keep pressure on the SC, i got better clutch feel, but still get the cherp. After all my reading and many hours pondering I've determined our cars have a sensitive clutch system bahhahahaha. If its not a tob im banking its wear on the hydraulic system, mc and sc, or something funny is going on with the clutch fork, bent on install, or not lubed properly. Being i did the clutch myself i feel pretty good the fork is operating properly, but i could have bent it slightly. But before taking on dropping the tranny, im going to clean and lube the sc and fork area while im replacing the seals in my leaking steering rack today. If cleaning and lube of sc doesnt work, I'll get the mc and sc oem new.

Diaclaimer, this is just my experience and approach on this for reference. Most mechanical problems are compounding and can have the same symptoms from different sources. Ill post back any findings.
RedMerc is offline   Reply With Quote