Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
TheRedStig
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 339781
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default 02 WRX Clutch Night Terrors

Hey everyone.

Thanks for clicking. I have a story to tell you and then hopefully you'll have an idea for me to go on.

TLDR: I've replaced my clutch twice now in a month. The first time it started slipping almost immediately and I took it back to the shop. They replaced it a second time before testing driving it and realizing that was slipping a bit too. Then they found the master & Slave cylinders leaking so they replaced them and returned the car to me.

It's been 70 miles and it just started to slip again. The slave or master is absolutely bad too because I can move the clutch fork with my hand and there's no pressure on the fork.

When I push the slave in with the fork, the clutch pedal will go to the ground and stay there til I pump it up again.

Yea, That's the short version.

Long Version: My clutch started to slip so I took it to a shop. They also thought it was just the clutch so they replaced it.

Less than 10 miles after doing so it began to slip again.

I took it back and they cracked it open only to find no visible issues. Nevertheless they put another clutch in and then found that the clutch master and slave cylinders were leaking down and so they replaced those as well.

When I got the car back the second time it was so poorly put back together that it took the last two weeks for me to figure out why it was running so poorly. They had left some vacuum lines disconnected and the ground strap totally unbolted to the starter. After fixing all of that it ran amazingly well for about 70 miles until yesterday. Going up a slight hill in 2nd I felt it slip. If you tried to gently allow it into gear it would slip. If you just dropped the clutch it seemed to grab just fine. So i nursed it home, about a mile from where the slipping happened.

Today, same story. I left it where it wouldn't act properly and checked a couple things under the hood.

The clutch fork seems loose. I can manually press the slave cylinder back and then jiggle the fork from front to back all I want without pressure on either side.

Also, once pressing the slave cylinder in it'll allow me to press the clutch to the floor and it just sits there.

I need some help to understand what could've possibly changed from the first 70 miles to now...

I'm so lost guys and I'm not comfortable taking it back to them a third time now. I've got the ability to do this myself, I was simply trying to save time and I've done anything but that.

Thanks,
Rivers
TheRedStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
TheRedStig
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Some news. I nursed the car home. It got here (About a mile or two from where I had left it) just fine with no slipping.

Is it possible that the slave cylinder is slowing building pressure and then putting too much on the clutch fork?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
NickVu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27525
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 wrx wagon
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedStig View Post
Is it possible that the slave cylinder is slowing building pressure and then putting too much on the clutch fork?
This specific question, yes if master clutch rod doesn't release fully. On the master cylinder there is an orifice that is exposed when fully released. It allows the system to depressurize and compensate for temperature as the car warms up. If the clutch pedal was set in a way that the rod never fully releases can cause this.

If that was the main cause of your problems I don't know. Too many other things could be wrong, kinked lines, bad throwout bearing, worn out snout, weakened clutch plate, unresurfaced flywheel
NickVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
TheRedStig
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVu View Post
This specific question, yes if master clutch rod doesn't release fully. On the master cylinder there is an orifice that is exposed when fully released. It allows the system to depressurize and compensate for temperature as the car warms up. If the clutch pedal was set in a way that the rod never fully releases can cause this.

If that was the main cause of your problems I don't know. Too many other things could be wrong, kinked lines, bad throwout bearing, worn out snout, weakened clutch plate, unresurfaced flywheel

Oooh ok then we may be onto something because again... It only happens once warmed up a bit. Then if you leave it and come back in a couple hours it'll drive fine for a bit.

As for other concerns..

Brand New flywheel, clutch, Tob and pressure plate so at least it's less likely those are the problem.

Finally, I wish I could figure out why it started after some 70 miles of driving. Very strange but I'll dig in more in the morning

Last edited by TheRedStig; 05-17-2020 at 10:11 PM.