Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
cjbo114
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499831
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Silver

Default 2018 WRX AMSoil Signature Series Interval

Hello all,

The thought occurred to me today that I may be making a mistake when it comes to oil change intervals. I am hoping someone can either put me at ease or steer me in the right direction. I picked up my 2018 WRX with 7k miles on it and I've been using AMSoil Signature Series 5W30 ever since. AMSoil states that this oil is rated for up to 25k miles on turbocharged motors. I have been changing every 7500 miles. I do some spirited driving occasionally but nothing too crazy. Are these intervals too long or is this okay? I've had no problems with the motor and I'm currently at 33k miles. I also have not done a UOA.
cjbo114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Adam S
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487207
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
CWP

Personally I also use the signature series but change around 3-3.5k. My interval may be too short but it puts my mind at ease, and it is typically much darker in color by then. Nothing wrong with your interval as I am no expert but maybe come down to 5k?
Adam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Amsoil says 25k miles, but is Amsoil going to replace your engine if it fails? Because Subaru is going to want to see oil change receipts every 6k miles if you want them to pay for the engine.

I left Subaru a couple of years ago, but when I left the "severe duty" OCI was 3000 miles, and the "normal" was 6000.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Default 2018 WRX AMSoil Signature Series Interval

I would switch to XL 5W-30 and change every 6k miles if you wish to maintain warranty coverage.

SS is not API certified, so you would need to look to Amsoil for recourse in the event of a failure. Be sure to thoroughly read the Amsoil Warranty.

https://www.amsoil.com/shopres/warra...lubricants.pdf

Click for World’s Best Amsoil Thread.

And be sure to read the disclaimers.

Quote:
Normal Service defined as – Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles at a time and not operating under severe service.

Gasoline Engine Severe Service defined as – Commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive idling, frequent towing, hauling, plowing or driving in dusty
conditions.

Modifications and Alterations – Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance ECM tuning, non-OEM** approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

Oil filtration – Extended oil drain intervals are based on the user following AMSOIL-recommended filter service intervals. See oil filter recommendation on next panel.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Last edited by bluesubie; 10-17-2019 at 02:04 PM.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:20 AM   #5
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Yeah Subaru's definition of severe service is pretty much:
low speed driving, high speed driving, stop and go, hilly areas, towing, dusty, hot, wet, short trips, etc. I think having a turbo qualifies as severe service.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Vehicle:
04 FXT
20 OB Onyx XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
I think having a turbo qualifies as severe service.

Not any longer but it should be IMO.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:49 AM   #7
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Not any longer but it should be IMO.
Well since they're jumping on the small displacement + turbo bandwagon for the bloated rigs, they can't well tell all the soccer moms that no matter what they're going to need that severe duty OCI.

Speaking of bloated soccermommobiles, after driving a new 2020 police interceptor on the highway today I will say that the 3.0 ecoboost is pretty sweet.