Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
czo79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6752
Default Grit/sand under paint, brand new impreza

Just bought a new 2019 impreza hatch. Had it a bit over a week and finally went to put something in the back and noticed that there seemed to be issues with the paint on the body under the hatch, between the hinges. It looks like there was sand or grit on the body when they applied the paint. Also the spray looks light in some areas, you can see grey metal around the hinges and in a couple spots around the grit. Bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow and have no clue what to expect. It's not in a particularly visible area, but I'm just worried about corrosion down the road if they don't do anything about it, and I'm worried about corrosion down the road if they have someone local fix it by sanding it out and respraying. Not sure if that's a legit concern, but I've definitely seen body shop paint that doesn't hold up nearly as well as even poor quality factory paint. I live in the north and they spray salt brine on the roads here and cars just rust to hell if you aren't really careful. Just feeling pretty bad about this. I could have gone to a dealer and bought a lemon law buyback at a steep discount if I wanted a defective car that had been repaired, but perhaps I'm overreacting. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice is welcome.
link to pics:
https://imgur.com/a/lkbPpdv
Thanks!

Last edited by czo79; 10-29-2019 at 09:04 PM.
czo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Smunczen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501315

Give the dealer a chance to fix it. I’d also open a case SOA about it.
Smunczen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
czo79
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smunczen View Post
Give the dealer a chance to fix it. I’d also open a case SOA about it.
Do you know how I go about opening a case? Just call the number on the Subaru website?

The dealer has taken pictures to send to subaru and offered to fix it. I'm concerned that there is no warranty on paint or rust resulting from that, so if the work isn't quality I'm on my own, and I've just paid full price for a car with a defective paint job that has been repaired and may or may not hold up over time and will likely show up in the service history and maybe carfax and ding the resale value. It seems like a bad deal for me considering this is subaru's mistake and quality control should have caught it at the factory and the dealer should have caught it at dealer prep. I'm gonna express my concerns to them and see what they say I guess. Hate to be a pain but buying a new car is a big deal to me and I was planning on really taking care of this car and driving it a long time, rust is what gets subarus around here, I've junked a couple mechanically fine subarus that couldn't get inspected because of rust, and so paint/body problems scare me.
Thanks!
- Czo
czo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2024 Legacy Sport

To open a case with SoA, you need to call them - however, if the dealer is already working with you to take care of it, then they will probably say that's the best option. Realistically, any decent body shop can handle that, and the repair will last the life of the car - it's not in an area that gets dinged up/damaged through day to day use, and is shielded from UV most of the time - if you get it taken care of, your car will look nicer in that area than probably any other Impreza coming off the line.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote