Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436768
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Talking Full Plasti-Dip "Paint" Job

oo baby fleezy's back. lotta work done since I stopped trolling these forums. rex is a stg2 now.

oh, and this (i would've posted it as a gallery, but nasioc is blocking it):

Gallery (because pics are limited): https://imgur.com/a/coQaojS

Interior Panels (Spray Cans)

Painting (Turbine Sprayer)

Glamour

I also have a video posted on my insta (@thethor_nextdoor), plus all the other stuff since my hiatus. Check it oot!

What I have on the car

Doors and Door Sills (all 4 together):
  • 6 Cans of Black PDS
  • 6 Cans of Pure Gold Alloy
  • Hinges sprayed in Montana Gold Chrome
To get the desired coverage, obviously I masked off the car, and removed the doors, but I also disassembled the door moulding both on the car and the doors, as well as removed the door cards. This was the longest part of the project, taking about 2 weeks total to have the car broken down and bolted back up.

Trunk Lid:
  • 2 Cans of Black PDS
  • 2 Cans of Pure Gold Alloy
  • Bolts sprayed in Montana Gold Chrome
This was the easiest of the jobs. I started by loosening two bolts at a time (1 each side) and spraying them gold, then masking off around trunk with Tape n'Drape, and taping off the newly gold bolts too, then I just went to town.

Car Exterior:
  • 2gal Gunmetal Base
  • 2gal Anthracite Grey
  • 1gal + 1qt Glossy Top Coat
This one was fun, and challenging. Masking, laying down the base and the primary colour, were straight forward actually. When they say it's easy, they mean it. I had a few blemishes, but having already gotten comfortable with the cans, i knew that as long as I didn't make the same mistake the next pass, everything would melt together. At one point the sprayer fell and tore the wet surface, but I just rub it around with my finger and reddit that panel. Easy. The glossy topcoat was intimidating, and though ultimately I am super pleased with the outcome, I know it could have been smoother, and I will probably go panel to panel before the summer is out with another coat to get a smoother finish. It's not a first-timer thing, but I will say that you get the hang of it. Don't forget inside the door handles!

The hardest thing about each section is the wet-peel, by far. The PDS begins to flash out and dry much faster than you think, and if you're late, you better have a sharp razor with you. Almost every trim-line on this car is a wet-peel area. If (when) I do this again in another colour, I will either a) have someone following behind my as I spray, peeling the wet-peels, or b) run over each edge a second time so it's wet when I finish the last coat.

10/10 would dip again. come@me.
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
SoFlaRRRex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 407565
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2017 BMW 330i

I dig it. It’s different.
SoFlaRRRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaRRRex View Post
I dig it. It’s different.
the best part is that it's all one colour!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

It looks really good. Question: Why a base coat first? Why not go to final coat right from the start and maybe do a few more passes at it? I've had little success with plasti dip out of cans, so wondering how you did it.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #5
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
It looks really good. Question: Why a base coat first? Why not go to final coat right from the start and maybe do a few more passes at it? I've had little success with plasti dip out of cans, so wondering how you did it.
plasti-dip is meant to be applied in substantial amounts so that it can be removed in sheets as designed. Additionally, even though i lay down a metallic primary colour, the base coat will impact how that colour appears; think of it like an alpha layer. In this way, the base coat serves two purposes.

I would wager that, though likely minimal, a different base, or no base, would a) change the primary colour slightly, and/or b) require much more than the 4 total gallons to get the coverage needed.

Ultimately though, i bought a kit for the grey parts of the car, and it came with 2 gals of base lol.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Ashmanfish1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518805
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Steel Grey

Really like the dark grey and gold color combo Very unique. I really like the gold in the door jams
Ashmanfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 AM   #7
Suhdude420
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500559

Gorgeous. The gold door panels and trunk inner
Suhdude420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Poss1blyMabey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 502987

That's a killer color combo! Looks awesome!
Poss1blyMabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
garjones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520312

almost looks like a wrap! dope@
garjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
Fourteenwrxhatch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520321

looks sick!
Fourteenwrxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
Sallythesubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520213
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

The colour combo is sick. I have a 2011 wrx hatch and I'm not a fan of the color would you recommend painting it as opposed to wrap?
Sallythesubie is offline   Reply With Quote