Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-06-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
dcon9999
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326345
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 5-Door Premium
Ice Metallic Silver

Cool 2012-2016 Cup Holder Mod

2012 Impreza Premium. Stupidest cup holder design ever. Finally got around to modding from a wrx cup holder.

For your approval/use.

Part: Subaru 66155aG010 (Fits multiple impreza/crosstrk variants)(link) - I got off here a few years ago (been an on going back burner project) for $10 shipped I think.

PROBLEM: So here's the challenge. There is NO designed separation between the two cup holder spaces and each space must have been designed to hold a 7-11 Stupid Super Big Gulp. Really - no idea why they are so big. My morning coffee needs a napkin shoved in there to keep it from moving around and my Contigo rattles when I use that. It's been an 8 year 165k struggle. Since I didn't plan to chronicle pics (and I was figuring it out as I was going) - here is a generic pic of the holder and issue.

Here is the part I used:

The top part pops off by unclicking the tabs on the bottom:

Here is the part you'll need:

You'll find that it's just a little too wide to fit. So I took to the 80 grit sandpaper:

But since I hate the appearance of dull sanded edges and I anticipated being able to see just a little of it, I "cauterized" the edges. I do that by heating up a sheerrock/utility knife and then using the flat part of the knife to run along the edge of the plastic. Makes a nice smooth edge on it again:

Then line up the insert into the cup holder to see where to drill/cut your insert clip holes (Yes, you should wash your cup holder first - I clearly skipped that):

I used a 3/32 drill bit to start my hole and then my sheetrock/utility knife and a flat edge screwdriver to make my holes.

Push down - and done:

dcon9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links