Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Irishwrx25
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479906
Default Speaker Help

Hi all, I have a 2003 wrx with the stock double din headunit. Since I bought the car the audio was awful so I decided to have a look. The front speakers were literally destroyed and needed replacing along with the tweeters. Only one of the rears was plugged in, the other one worked fine once connected. So now I have 2 working rears and no fronts. So I bought some new speakers and connected them up to the existing connectors using some "pigtails". However the driver side is very very faint and the passenger side doesn't work at all.
So I pulled the door cards and checked the voltage. The driver side was getting about 5.8v. The passenger side was getting 0v. I'm a newb with a multimeter so I'm not sure should I resistance or anything else. I checked for any obvious breaks in the protective tape but didn't spot anything.
What should I do now:
remove all the tape and search for a break?
Is it a headunit fault rather than a wiring fault?
Is this why the driver side speaker is very faint?
I attempted to read the voltage from the connector at the back of the radio but had no luck doing that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Irishwrx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
dieselssubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 479863
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Rally Blue

Default Re: Speaker Help

Hey there,

I'd recommend connecting a different headunit to see if the voltage returns to the doors, if it doesn't then obviously you have a wiring issue. A wiring issue like that may require a full inspection to check where to re-wire (which I haven't actually done myself).

p.s. I highly recommend a new headunit as the stock double-din is booboo in comparison to even a $100 aftermarket h.u. in sound quality
dieselssubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
tehansweris42
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 440766
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Silver

I replaced the head unit and all 4 door speakers in my 03 WRX Wagon about 4 years ago. Now, 3 of 4 speakers stopped working suddenly. I replaced the head unit, but still only get sound from one speaker. What could cause 3 speakers to die at once?
tehansweris42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
legend069
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519314
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehansweris42 View Post
I replaced the head unit and all 4 door speakers in my 03 WRX Wagon about 4 years ago. Now, 3 of 4 speakers stopped working suddenly. I replaced the head unit, but still only get sound from one speaker. What could cause 3 speakers to die at once?

grab your multi-meter and check the continuity from where the headunit wires are to where the wires end up in the door
legend069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:27 AM   #5
Melthemonkey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519491

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehansweris42 View Post
That is a bit strange for that many speakers to spontaneously quit. Do your doors still still have the moisture barriers intact? Grasping at straws but it's possible a good rain or carwash shorted some stuff if your weatherproofing is worn. You could take the working speaker and test at each of the door connections to rule out speakers and point to either wiring or head unit.
Melthemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Pupwagn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520053

Also check the wires that run through the rubber tube from the chassis to the door, if that boot is warn and dirt gets in there over the years that will cause some problems as it will wear away the wires and cause all sorts of issues.
Pupwagn is offline   Reply With Quote