Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > New Product Development

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:56 PM   #26
tmp042
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524797
Vehicle:
2010 XT Forester

Default Custom Turbo Intake

I recently received a flurry of messages from friends regarding the Killer B intake due to its similarities (APS first produced the custom metal intake back in the early 2000’s). Early 2020 I decided to design and make my own intake which provided the smoothest transition to the turbo inlet. I disliked the idea of using the Agency Power or APS silicone coupler as it didn’t allow the best taper. So I machined off the face of the turbo and drilled/taped threads for a flush flange mount. Aluminium is a brilliant heat sink so I instantly ruled out using it. Nylon PA11 is incredibly strong and when printed on a Multi Jet Fusion printer and the results are almost injection molding quality (though frightfully more expensive). In my tests small pressure vessel samples of 0.5mm (0.0196) wall thickness were printed and heated to 150deg C (302F) in an oven with 150psi of pressure in them. None of the five samples ruptured. The .4mm thick samples only ruptured when I intentionally pulsed the air. With nylon you can pick it up with bare hands out of the oven. The metal pneumatic fittings on the end were untouchable due to it retaining the heat. We couldn’t test further as the double heat shielding wasn’t enough causing the plastic pneumatic lines to burst.
Mine fits without needing to have the indentation along the side but obviously designing a product to fit stock setups would need them.
It’s been years since I was on this forum so have to try and remember how to attach images.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIy9j0vltA6/?utm_medium=copy_link

Great work there Killer B.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #27
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp042 View Post
I recently received a flurry of messages from friends regarding the Killer B intake due to its similarities (APS first produced the custom metal intake back in the early 2000’s). Early 2020 I decided to design and make my own intake which provided the smoothest transition to the turbo inlet. I disliked the idea of using the Agency Power or APS silicone coupler as it didn’t allow the best taper. So I machined off the face of the turbo and drilled/taped threads for a flush flange mount. Aluminium is a brilliant heat sink so I instantly ruled out using it. Nylon PA11 is incredibly strong and when printed on a Multi Jet Fusion printer and the results are almost injection molding quality (though frightfully more expensive). In my tests small pressure vessel samples of 0.5mm (0.0196) wall thickness were printed and heated to 150deg C (302F) in an oven with 150psi of pressure in them. None of the five samples ruptured. The .4mm thick samples only ruptured when I intentionally pulsed the air. With nylon you can pick it up with bare hands out of the oven. The metal pneumatic fittings on the end were untouchable due to it retaining the heat. We couldn’t test further as the double heat shielding wasn’t enough causing the plastic pneumatic lines to burst.
Mine fits without needing to have the indentation along the side but obviously designing a product to fit stock setups would need them.
It’s been years since I was on this forum so have to try and remember how to attach images.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIy9j0vl...dium=copy_link

Great work there Killer B.
Out first batch of Alpha test units was printed; reinforced PA12. None had issues, but I would not use it as a long term solution. Our wall is a bit thinner at .15 and at high vacuum (beyond real-world) it deforms some. You can squeeze the deformity out on a Flow-Bench and watch the CFM change some. At temp, this would only be worse, but again, this was at higher vacuum levels. Aluminum does not deform at all (in comparison) and shows no variances in flow like the plastic.

Design wise, out unit has a much larger bend radius, which we found is really key to optimizing the airflow. The indent is required for some models; 2007 Forester XT for example, providing power steering pump clearance.

With the cast aluminum part being stronger, we also increase the bell opening some on the inlet side, picking up a few more CFM. Part-for-part, the aluminum version flows a bit better, but we saw no discernable difference on the dyno.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #28
tmp042
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524797
Vehicle:
2010 XT Forester

Default Custom Intake

I noticed many silicon intakes on the market have to be deformed to fit around the TGV/Intake runner. It was tricky trying to get the smoothest curve around the runner and when using a silicon coupler it created further issues due to the thicker wall thickness and hose clamp over the main intake pipe causing a further offset. One idea I tried was a dual o-ring sleeve on the end of the intake pipe which simply slid over the turbo housing. But at the end the impractical flange was the winner (clearly not suitable for retail). It would be interesting to see an image of the Killer B intake installed in the vehicle such as this image below.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGJBOAxpge6/?utm_medium=copy_link
Old 06-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #29
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp042 View Post
I noticed many silicon intakes on the market have to be deformed to fit around the TGV/Intake runner. It was tricky trying to get the smoothest curve around the runner and when using a silicon coupler it created further issues due to the thicker wall thickness and hose clamp over the main intake pipe causing a further offset. One idea I tried was a dual o-ring sleeve on the end of the intake pipe which simply slid over the turbo housing. But at the end the impractical flange was the winner (clearly not suitable for retail). It would be interesting to see an image of the Killer B intake installed in the vehicle such as this image below.
You need to not think round, lol. Our inlet goes from round-to-triangular-to-square-to-round again. This gave maximum cross section just before the coupler. The larger the volume in this area, the better. It has more of an impact on the quality of the flow than the coupler shape. You can make the coupler pretty sharp before it has a decent negative impact. If you want to maximize flow potential, smooth out that 90° bend a lot more. Our bend radius is not on a flat and significantly larger than yours. Keep at it
Closed Thread