Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-21-2021, 01:27 AM   #1
gannex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522147
Default EJ205 won't run properly after new MAP sensor

so I have a JDM legacy with an EJ205 swapped in. I had a low baromatric pressure engine code. A mechanic and he told me to replace the MAP sensor, so I ordered one on ebay (part #22627AA170) for 50 bucks. Today I received the replacement. It doesn't have the Denso sticker on it, so I'm afraid it might not be a genuine part, but I figure it should still work. I verified that this was definitely the correct part number (same as the one on the sticker on the old, presumably bad MAP sensor).

Until today, the car was running fine. The idle is maybe a little harsh (it fluctuates a little), but I was driving the car around town with no problems. It idled around 800 rpm. it's a PITA to get the MAP sensor out because it's underneath the IACV, but I got it out and plugged in the new MAP sensor (sadly the nipple broke off the old one on the way out). I unplugged the battery for 45 mins and started it up and it idled extremely high at 1500 rpm with white smoke coming out the exhaust, smelling strongly of gas. When I revved it, it kinda sputtered and the rpms would drop, but then it wouldn't hold an idle. Now it only starts if I give it gas and it still idles at 1500 rpm with a lot of white smoke. I don't want to start it anymore. I'm afraid I've already damaged the engine.

Maybe there was some underlying problem, but all I did was change the MAP sensor, and it was running +/- fine before. I didn't touch anything else. I would plug the old MAP sensor back in, but like I said, it's broken. I guess I am going to order an expensive OEM MAP sensor from Subaru, but I am just confused: What the hell could have happened?
gannex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2021, 01:22 AM   #2
gannex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522147

I fixed this! Part of the problem was a bad ignition coil, but I also put a new OEM MAP sensor and it's running fine now. Long story short, don't go with an ebay MAP sensor!
gannex is offline   Reply With Quote