Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-20-2022, 04:07 AM   #1
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507317
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Lightbulb A Bumper on Fog Light Install on a 2019 WRX Base story

The lights have been in for a while (about 2 months) and everything is still working. Yes, as the title states, I did a fog light install on my 2019 WRX Base with the Bumper on.

The following text and pictures are an overview of my efforts and is for informational purposes only. I'm not an expert; just a guy who bought the wrong trim WRX. Your experiences may vary...

First, a quick shout out and thank you to the Boost & Shutter Youtube channel for providing a video that helped me get to the fog relay (location) behind the glove box. Yes, it is best to remove the glove box/box frame and will be a huge time saver.

Tools:
10mm socket (who would have guessed)
trim panel removal tools
#2 Philips head screwdriver
small and med Flat head screwdriver
Nylon-tie cutters
Headlamp or flashlight
Car ramps
* my apologies if I forgot something

Again, this is just an informational guide and a small glimpse into my bumper-on fog light install

Starting Inside with the Switch and Bezel:

There are videos out there on how to remove the side dash panel and switch bezel. Basically, you pop the side cover off (w/a trim panel tool); then remove the one Philips screw on the side; then pull the whole trim panel piece off while pushing in a tab on the side (this will includes/hold the switch bezel in place.

Doing the above will give you access to the (2nd) screw on the back side of the stock bezel that has to be removed along with 6 or so plastic clips that release the bezel from the dash piece.

#1 - ESC/Traction Control Button
#2 - Trunk Switch
#3 - Dimmer Switch
PINK CIRCLE: This is the fog light switch harness wrapped up with pink tape; again, my car was pre-wired. (Thank you Subaru)

Another way to tell if you are pre-wired for fogs; I had a 15A fuse already installed in the fuse panel that is right below the trim bezel.

Here is the (square) switch from the kit installed in the dash. Trust me when I say it is easier to get the kit and the new bezel. ONE, it is a lot easier to use the new bezel than cutting a hole in the OE base bezel (there is no blank, you must cut a hole); and TWO, you will most likely break the base OE bezel removing the ESC/Traction button from the captured switch locking tab, it is locked in good and tight.

The Fog Relay and the Glove Box:

I was hesitant to remove the glove box; however, after seeing how tight the relays are packed behind the box cage, I sucked it up and removed it. But I had the video by Boost & Shutter playing at the same time, and that helped out a lot.

This is where the (fog) relay lives behind the glove box. It is packed in there and sits right behind the back of the glove box cage.

BEWARE!!! There is a hidden screw behind the plasti-fiber trim panel. Following the video, I did not break anything. Keep track of the screws and watch for the glove box light.

On to the Light and Wire install from Underneath the Bumper

I wasn't real crazy about removing my front bumper, no matter how easy ppl on Youtube make it seem or demonstrate. Good news, there is plenty of access and working space that can be access from underneath the front bumper.

Having your car on ramps will help out a great deal in this part of the install if you choose to keep your bumper on.

Yes, you will need to remove one 10mm bolt and about 6 or 7 plastic push clips. Once you do, the panel has enough flex it will pull down and you have plenty of space to work.

passenger side

driver side

Remove your OE base fog bezels by pulling them from the outside edge. If you are not sure, do what I did and search Youtube to see how others did it. You can also push on the small locking tabs of the bezels from behind.

...to be continued

Last edited by GoFrogs; 02-24-2024 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added some lost pictures
GoFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2022, 04:11 AM   #2
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Lightbulb Part 2 of my Bumper on fog light install

Here are a few snaps on the lights going in. Each light is held in place using two screws and two of the j-clips/j-nuts. The j-clips go over the little dog ear around the mounting hole.

The inner tabs just slide into the slots. (Secret: I used a zip-tie to secure one of the tabs against the bumper. It was tricky, but doable.

Next up, the new harneses

Once the lights were in and secure, it was time for the new harnesses.

As you will see, the OE base harness only has two prongs/wires and the harnesses in the kit have three. The cool part is my car already had 3 wires attached to the body-side of the light harness.

Connect the turn signal plug to the bumper signal, and the (H11/H16/H8) fog light socket to the fog light. You cannot mix them up.

So, lights are in, secure, and connected with the new harnesses. At this point you can test the light to ensure everything is working as designed.

...to be continued

Last edited by GoFrogs; 02-24-2024 at 02:10 PM. Reason: some lost pictures re-added
Old 07-20-2022, 04:19 AM   #3
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Lightbulb Part 3 of my Bumper-on fog light install

Wait, what...I didn't disconnect the battery. Ooops, my bad. No, I did not disconnect the battery. You can, but I did not. Do what you are comfortable with.

I put the new bumper fog light bezels on. The passenger side went on first time, no issues. The driver's side gave me some trouble, but nothing difficult, just aggravating. The inner most lip/flap of the new bezel would not seat into the slot it was supposed to sit. After several attempts and getting it at just the right angle...poof, like magic, the driver's side bezel went in.

Oh, and the part about the lights I mentioned earlier. The lights themselves seem well constructed; however, their beam pattern leaves a lot to be desired.

The beam pattern is only so-so, and not what I was expecting; it is difficult for me to get a good picture of it. Lets just say, the fog lights, although closer to the ground, and also an H11 bulb (same as the headlight), are washed out by the headlights, at least from the driver's seat.

And another thing, these lights were never technically designed for a Subaru as you will see on the box.

Yes, they fit; and yes, they do work; and yes, and they are a higher wattage bulb (H11) than the OEM H16 lights (55W vs 19W) that Subaru includes in their kit...but...I will most likely seek out new fog lights in the future to get better light on the road.

Installing these lights, as I did, using all of the Subaru connections/locations; the fog lights will ONLY turn on if the LOW BEAMS are ON...just as if you bought a (new) car with them already installed.

If you want your fog lights to come on separately or independently, you will need to wire the switch and relay differently; outside the "pathway" Subaru provides.

My biggest gripe, and it's my fault, is choosing the very lackluster Winjet H11 lights.

The lights will be replaced with will either the Moriomoto XB LED Fogs (2x the price of the Winjet lights), or the Diode Dynamics SS3 (Yellow) fogs (3x the price of the Winjet lights).

Yes, I could try an LED H11 bulb in the Winjet lights; however, if the beam pattern is bad w/a halogen bulb (what the lights were designed for); the beam pattern could be worse with an LED bulb. Sure, the LED H11s might be brighter, but where is all of that "extra" light going?

THE END

Feel free to ask me any questions. I will try to check this post as regular as my schedule will allow. Thanks for looking/reading.

Last edited by GoFrogs; 02-24-2024 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added back some pictures lost due to issues...
Old 07-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Default close up of the fog bezel

If anyone is wondering about the actual fog light kit from Fastwrx...the pieces are straight off the Subaru parts shelf.

The texture is the same. They are made in Japan and have the same Subaru markings (different part numbers of course).

Last edited by GoFrogs; 02-24-2024 at 02:25 PM. Reason: deleted lost picture urls
Old 08-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
gokart3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 113468

Dude..... THANK YOU! I have a 2020 STi, which did not come with fogs. I know it won't all be the same, but this will help so much!!! I'm surprised you haven't already received a stack of thanks on this. I know these DIY posts aren't that easy to do, have made many in the past on other vehicles. Certainly appreciate the info.
gokart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart3 View Post
Dude..... THANK YOU! I have a 2020 STi, which did not come with fogs. I know it won't all be the same, but this will help so much!!! I'm surprised you haven't already received a stack of thanks on this. I know these DIY posts aren't that easy to do, have made many in the past on other vehicles. Certainly appreciate the info.
Thank you...you are welcome...and no worries.

I don't Instagram/Facebook or similar and I know that most people go to the platforms for help.

I did not make a YouTube video as I can't edit to save my life; plus I'd probably do a Powerpoint movie (w/narration) vs a real time video.

My 2019 WRX Base was prewired. Your 2020 STI may or may not be. The big tale-tale sign is the wires bundled up behind the switch bezel (and possibly the fuse on the bottom row - a.s.s.u.m.i.n.g the STI fuse block is the same as the WRX block.

bumper on was just fine (with RAMPS or a LIFT). Plenty of room to work.

I now have some Diode Dynamics SS3 Fogs ready to go in.

Good luck. Youtube is your friend.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:48 AM   #7
scoobyRx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33789
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 WRX Red
20 WRX silver

I did this install on mine this spring but went with the Diode amber fogs and they are amazing. You won't be disappointed if you go with those lights.
Worst part was pulling half the dash apart to put that relay in. Poor design IMO.
scoobyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:48 AM   #8
scoobyRx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33789
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 WRX Red
20 WRX silver

I did this install on mine this spring but went with the Diode amber fogs and they are amazing. You won't be disappointed if you go with those lights.
Worst part was pulling half the dash apart to put that relay in. Poor design IMO.
scoobyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:54 AM   #9
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyRx View Post
agreed.

I have not dove too deep into the WRX, so I'm not sure how "German-like" the Subaru engineers are. I do know, on my GTI, that the German engineers had no sense of humor and wanted you to have a frowny face when working on their car(s). The amount of head scratching I did when digging into my GTI was a lot.

Lots of "why did they do it this way...?" moments.

Last edited by GoFrogs; 02-24-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:28 PM   #10
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyRx View Post
yes, agree about the relay design. it should be in the engine bay fuse box.

after seeing the dismal performance of those cheaper glass lens incandescent fogs; I too went the Diode Dynamics route.

I installed the DD SS3 yellow sport fogs shortly after. The SS3 sport lights are in a different league.