Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday March 3, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #26
shiplemw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203905
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
I started reading the comments on Ars about this, and they reminded me of the old shows that could make a comeback with this service.
Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Gargoyles, the original Duck Tales
Then I got a boner and had to leave that website.

Im sure I will be excited for nothing. Like, ermergerd, Aladdin!!
Watch first few episodes and then forget about it.
The new Duck Tales is trash. I might buy just so my kids could watch these classics. /takemymoneynow!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shiplemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #27
sorbee711
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14259
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Vehicle:
OT, we're a-holes
b/c we are bored at work

Default

I hate how fractured the service market is becoming and everything seems to be moving to separate services with no overlap. That being said, I'll still buy this because Marvel+SW.
sorbee711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #28
Reciprocity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1165
Join Date: Mar 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
If Netflix can no longer or will no longer have any Disney content, then the price for the service should go down to the level as if they never existed and had to pay the for disney rights/licensing.


Note I'm not disagreeing...based off the idea that "You pay X for Y content. Y has decreased therefore X has decreased" is the ethical thing to do...we all know that simply ain't gonna happen regardless of should.
Reciprocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
shiplemw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 203905
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reciprocity View Post


Note I'm not disagreeing...based off the idea that "You pay X for Y content. Y has decreased therefore X has decreased" is the ethical thing to do...we all know that simply ain't gonna happen regardless of should.
Agreed.

Bold prediction: Netflix raises its prices and promises more content. $15/mo Netflix here we come.
shiplemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #30
BacDoc
Don't Thread on Me
Moderator
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbee711 View Post
I hate how fractured the service market is becoming and everything seems to be moving to separate services with no overlap. That being said, I'll still buy this because Marvel+SW.
This. And as dollars move away from advertising, companies will demand more revenue come from the consumers.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #31
bakadayo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 41230
Join Date: Aug 2003
Default

I read an article where Disney admitted - and were OK with - losing a few billion until the early 2020's. It's the classic of starting a low price to gain marketshare. Disney has enough $ to do it.
bakadayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #32
orndog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34670
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2016 slowmobile

Default

Not a stretch, it's already $13.
orndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #33
Reciprocity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1165
Join Date: Mar 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
This. And as dollars move away from advertising, companies will demand more revenue come from the consumers.
And as long as consumers keep agreeing to those prices (and increases) even at the loss of content...then there is no reason companies won't stop this behavior.

This is the primary reason why I pirating everything. I'll consume any media I desire and pay as little as possible for it. This is my $$$ protest (rather, my lack of $$$ protest )
Reciprocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #34
orndog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34670
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2016 slowmobile

Default

orndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #35
Reciprocity
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1165
Join Date: Mar 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orndog View Post
If I could I would in a heartbeat...

...if I had the right environment to provide a healthy life for a bear
Reciprocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #36
Hondaslayer
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
I started reading the comments on Ars about this, and they reminded me of the old shows that could make a comeback with this service.
Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Gargoyles, the original Duck Tales
Then I got a boner and had to leave that website.

Im sure I will be excited for nothing. Like, ermergerd, Aladdin!!
Watch first few episodes and then forget about it.
They already re-booted Ducktales, and it's fantastic. Even has occasional Darkwing Duck cameos.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #37
shaw169
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 120088
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SoMD
Vehicle:
2001 Z3
Silver

Default

I'm one of the crowd that will likely drop Netflix for Disney+.

I don't see enough of Netflix original content that I like enough to keep it on, especially since Amazon Prime Video is stepping up their original shows.
shaw169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #38
Furiousd1983
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295099
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Straight outta Shompton
Vehicle:
2013 Not so Hot HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
Um, no. They will use that money to expand original content to stay relevant.
Those words are all English but they didn't make sense in that order.

If Netflix wants to remain relevant, they need to focus less on their original content. The vast majority of their shows/movies have been hot garbage.
Furiousd1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
Reflex-Arc
Lord of the Gif
 
Member#: 1703
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: one frame at a time
Vehicle:
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Bianco

Default

Gonna have to disagree there. It's the original content on Netflix that keeps me subscribed.
Reflex-Arc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #40
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza Racecar
2019 Macan 4cyl

Default

Outside of Stranger Things, there is nothing left on Netflix I care about. Never paid a dime for Netflix though, I usually just do a free trial and get caught up on a couple things, or pull a Reciprocity if I dont have a trial available

Amazon is all I have or will pay for minus maybe this service. All the syndicated shows I care about are already on Amazon. I will have to pay HBO for a month here soon for GoT though (and maybe watch a few movies while I have it subbed).
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #41
Hondaslayer
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Outside of Stranger Things, there is nothing left on Netflix I care about. Never paid a dime for Netflix though, I usually just do a free trial and get caught up on a couple things, or pull a Reciprocity if I dont have a trial available

Amazon is all I have or will pay for minus maybe this service. All the syndicated shows I care about are already on Amazon. I will have to pay HBO for a month here soon for GoT though (and maybe watch a few movies while I have it subbed).
No Santa Clarita Diet?
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #42
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Fire Caves
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza Racecar
2019 Macan 4cyl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
No Santa Clarita Diet?
Had to google that, looks terrible.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #43
Rock_Strongo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38721
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Fubar'D is my Wordfeud Bitch!
Vehicle:
=-)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Had to google that, looks terrible.
To each their own, but I loved it...and I do not like Drew Barrymore.
Rock_Strongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #44
Hondaslayer
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Had to google that, looks terrible.
No, the other thing.


It's just good, silly fun. Try it.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #45
jargon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 107150
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orndog View Post
Subscribe to all the services!!!!!!!!!
No.
That sums up my thoughts around all this.

I just need to get outside more and stop watching so much TV. I think our generation has been duped into paying a i$ht-ton of money for things we don't need by paying for them in monthly installments - new cars, phones, 18 different entertainment services.

If these things were packaged into annual payments, - "Only $20,000 year and you can live like your neighbors and have exactly what they have - Don't they look happy?!!!" - the populace would likely tell these conglomerates to eff.

I'll probably have to end up buying this crap for the kids though.

I think all of this delineation of entertainment streams (and higher cost) will ultimately resort to more pirating.
jargon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #46
masskillingspree
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 176730
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: The Land of Sugar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Clip View Post
$6.99 seems a lot for a bunch of old movies and Planet Earth.

chris619
dr_wheel


Full_Clip won't be getting Disney+.
Not sure if joking or if you are completely out of the loop about all the new Marvel and Star Wars shows that will be on Disney+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Had to google that, looks terrible.
You shut your whore mouth!
masskillingspree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #47
orndog
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 34670
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2016 slowmobile

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon View Post
That sums up my thoughts around all this.

I just need to get outside more and stop watching so much TV. I think our generation has been duped into paying a i$ht-ton of money for things we don't need by paying for them in monthly installments - new cars, phones, 18 different entertainment services.

If these things were packaged into annual payments, - "Only $20,000 year and you can live like your neighbors and have exactly what they have - Don't they look happy?!!!" - the populace would likely tell these conglomerates to eff.

I'll probably have to end up buying this crap for the kids though.

I think all of this delineation of entertainment streams (and higher cost) will ultimately resort to more pirating.
The wife uses netflix in the home gym, so I'll give her her choice of streaming services - but there can be only one. Same with cable, for the wife and kid. I don't watch that rot, I catch the news and could do that online easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskillingspree View Post
Not sure if joking or if you are completely out of the loop about all the new Marvel and Star Wars shows that will be on Disney+
You shut your whore mouth!
"Will be" is pure conjecture. We have no idea what they'll let you stream yet. Hell, it might be certain things are included, "premium" is extra.
orndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #48
XanRules
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 157348
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hell and Jail
Vehicle:
180+ IQ Genius
Mindset Lifestyle

Default

It sure is good that we're finally cutting the cord from cable TV and saving all this money by instead subscribing to an insane, inscrutable patchwork of exclusive streaming services with their own monthly subscription fees.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #49
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post
It sure is good that we're finally cutting the cord from cable TV and saving all this money by instead subscribing to an insane, inscrutable patchwork of exclusive streaming services with their own monthly subscription fees.
Anybody who didnít expect this to happen is really naive. Eventually there will be 2-3, maybe 4 big streaming services that have acquired all the cable networks and you end up subscribing to all the subscription services and end up paying more than cable / satellite.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #50
parker
Member Status: Member
 
Member#: 46241
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Shallow Frontier, Stanton
Vehicle:
- Can I get
a wayo

Default

speak for yourself, Xan. Oh, Dan too.

baby steps.

It is kinda closer the the a la carte cable people always wanted. Not for me of course but it is closer.
I'll have to be dragged into these "services" kicking and screaming.

They aren't really a service and shouldn't act like it.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.