Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
cbailey168
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522935
Default Which Sti suspension is compatible with '11-14 wrx?

It is time for new struts for my wrx sedan. Rather than buying stock '11-14 wrx struts I would like to upgrade to OEM Sti. I'm assuming 11-14 sti should be a direct swap to the wrx, but I'm also curious if 2015+ Sti suspension would be compatible.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance
cbailey168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2022, 06:34 AM   #2
nekidfrog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 489917
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl White

So I recently just bought a set of 15+ WRX struts and put them on. Backs are literally just a swap, fronts have to be modified but otherwise can fit. May I tell you it made a WORLD of a difference? Holy hell did subaru make a major change in the struts for 15+

WRX struts are both twin tube and are roughly 320lbs front, 297lbs rear I think? Which is a 100lbs more per corner than the stock 11-14 WRX. The STI for that year is a monotube up front and twin tube in the back, with I think 10lbs heaver springs in the rear. Either one will work but the WRX from what I've read has better low speed dampening which is why I chose that.

Fronts will need 2x 1/8th in shims per side, and the lower holes need to be slotted upwards to match the bolt pattern of the 11-14 wrx. But otherwise should drop right in! I used the old strut as a design template to make my shims. Use cardboard to trace out the holes on each side of the strut brace, then use that cardboard to cut out the holes in the 1/8th in steel bar stock. You need a template per set of holes as the holes on the front of the brace are different than the holes on the rear of the brace. One has a vertically slotted hole, the other has a horizontally slotted hole. Wish I could show pics but sadly I did not take any during the swap or the making of the shims.
nekidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
cbailey168
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekidfrog View Post
So I recently just bought a set of 15+ WRX struts and put them on. Backs are literally just a swap, fronts have to be modified but otherwise can fit. May I tell you it made a WORLD of a difference? Holy hell did subaru make a major change in the struts for 15+

WRX struts are both twin tube and are roughly 320lbs front, 297lbs rear I think? Which is a 100lbs more per corner than the stock 11-14 WRX. The STI for that year is a monotube up front and twin tube in the back, with I think 10lbs heaver springs in the rear. Either one will work but the WRX from what I've read has better low speed dampening which is why I chose that.

Fronts will need 2x 1/8th in shims per side, and the lower holes need to be slotted upwards to match the bolt pattern of the 11-14 wrx. But otherwise should drop right in! I used the old strut as a design template to make my shims. Use cardboard to trace out the holes on each side of the strut brace, then use that cardboard to cut out the holes in the 1/8th in steel bar stock. You need a template per set of holes as the holes on the front of the brace are different than the holes on the rear of the brace. One has a vertically slotted hole, the other has a horizontally slotted hole. Wish I could show pics but sadly I did not take any during the swap or the making of the shims.
Thanks for the info. Did the 2015+ suspension settle evenly front to rear or was there any modifications needed to make the car sit level?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #4
nekidfrog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl White

so unfortunately, the rears sit higher, I think maybe getting a set of RCE yellows would help it or cutting a coil.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

RCE documented somewhere in here or IWSTI that the 2015+ STI suspension is a 1" drop when installed on the 11-14 STI. So if you can find or figure out what's the drop from installing 11-14 STI suspension on 11-14 WRX, you can add up the numbers for total drop.

I used 3/16" steel spacers and drilled out the holes in them. I also slotted the lower hole on the front struts. I'm considering slotting the camber upper hole next time to give me more ride height as well as more possible negative camber as the top inner edge of my tires are hitting the lower spring perches when the camber bolt isn't maxed out.
REX_WGN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
nekidfrog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatchback
Pearl White

I didn't measure mine before I swapped but honestly it looks like a 1/2in drop all around at least on my WRX, not sure what it would do for a STI. Also keep in mind I stuck with stock struts and springs. I'm thinking of upgrading them to RCE yellows but sway bars before that next.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
cbailey168
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the info.

Can anyone confirm that 08-14 Sti sedan struts are direct bolt on to 11-14 wrx sedan? I may just go this route if thats the case.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #8
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

LOL, I think all of us kind of went around your question from the beginning.

No STI struts are direct bolt on to the WRX cars. But just to be technically clear, 08+ cars have struts in the front and shocks in the rear. I'm sure you meant both front and rear when you said "struts" in your question. The 08+ rear shocks are direct bolt on. The 08+ front struts is where the compatibility issue lies.

The STI struts are wider where they mount to the knuckles compared to the WRX struts. My measurements came out to 3/16". And not only are they wider, the 2 holes for the strut bolts are spaced further apart on the STI struts compared to the WRX ones. Many have adapted and modified the STI struts to fit. Here's how I did mine.
REX_WGN is online now   Reply With Quote