Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-26-2022, 05:37 PM   #1
georgeoar394
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518148
Default 2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 130k, whomping/drone noise

Drone noise most prominent 40-60mph. Noise does not change when loading the car from the left to right and vice versa. Wheel bearing? Rear Dif? Noise does change a bit based on the type of asphalt surface. Cupped tires?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/LBpBQVRopYY
georgeoar394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Changes with speed. Typically, with turning, you can reduce or eliminate wheel bearing noise, but not if there's more than one side gone bad. That's certainly possible. I think at around 100k miles or so, our Crosstrek needed 3 of them. 150k, it needed the 4th.

Might be tires. What are they like? I get that sound all the time when I put on snow tires.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Changes with speed. Typically, with turning, you can reduce or eliminate wheel bearing noise, but not if there's more than one side gone bad. That's certainly possible. I think at around 100k miles or so, our Crosstrek needed 3 of them. 150k, it needed the 4th.

Might be tires. What are they like? I get that sound all the time when I put on snow tires. Look at the tires. What's the production date? 4 digits. 2 are the week of the year and the other 2 are the year. So a 2903 would be the 29th week of 2003 and they're defiantly too old to use. Are they dry rot cracking? Tread separating or falling off?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #4
georgeoar394
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Might be tires. What are they like? I get that sound all the time when I put on snow tires. Look at the tires. What's the production date? 4 digits. 2 are the week of the year and the other 2 are the year. So a 2903 would be the 29th week of 2003 and they're defiantly too old to use. Are they dry rot cracking? Tread separating or falling off?
Just had tires done last August. Currently have put around 14,000 on them. Some unusual wear on the outside tread as well.
georgeoar394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:24 PM   #5
99RallyGramps
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433419
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch

Possible center carrier bearing on the drive shaft? if you can get it on a lift or jackstands, safely, put it in 1st and let it just idle. Again, safely, get underneath the car and try and listen if its coming from there or elsewhere.
Hope this helps.
99RallyGramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:25 PM   #6
99RallyGramps
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 433419
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch

Possible center carrier bearing on the drive shaft? if you can get it on a lift or jackstands, safely, put it in 1st and let it just idle. Again, safely, get underneath the car and try and listen if its coming from there or elsewhere.
Hope this helps.
99RallyGramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green USDM 22b

im guessing wheel bearing
lucky for u the 09's have bolt on bearings
same part# for R/L front 28373FG000
same part# for R/L rear 28473FL020
pretty simple install compared to press-in bearings

you need to have buddy drive and you stick your head out window(like Ace Ventura) and determine where humming coming from in front
get in the liftgate area for the rear
GL
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
MBThree
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531372

Some good answers, but why mostly at speeds of 40-60 mph?
MBThree is offline   Reply With Quote