Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-10-2022, 11:05 PM   #1
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
GDA- D, GDA-A, VAG-A
GDA-A - ShinjiTuned

Default Subaru/STi 24H of Nurburgring Challenge 2022

Subaru Motorsports Magazine: https://www.subaru-msm.com/2022/nbr/

Youtube : STi On-Tube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46...yvdiLsrLs2wkGQ

Twitter- https://twitter.com/STI_lnc , https://twitter.com/SUBARU_STI_MS

Instagram- @subaru.tecnica.international https://www.instagram.com/subaru.tecnica.international/

Bare with the translations...

2022.04.28 - Nürburgring 24 Hours Race / Qualifying Race Preview
STI NBR Challenge is about to begin

Subaru Tecnica International Co., Ltd. (STI) announced the participation system for the Nürburgring 24-hour race at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2022. About four months have passed since then, and preparations for the NBR Challenge for the first time in three years are steadily progressing.

The SUBARU WRX STI NBR Challenge 2022, which will participate in this year's Nürburgring 24-hour race, was shipped after completing the final domestic test at Fuji Speedway in December last year. Arriving in Germany, we are heading to the town of Adenau, where the team garage is located. Part of the team has moved to Germany this week to prepare for acceptance, and general manager Eiji Tatsumi and other STI engineers are scheduled to leave Japan on May 3. First of all, we will participate in the official qualifying of the qualifying race scheduled for May 6, and we will spend time setting up the WRX STI of this year's model and familiarizing the driver. Since this is the first NBR in three years, we should be able to see some direction here as to whether or not this year's race car will perform as planned. There is also information that repairs have been carried out around the course during the three years, so I am a little worried about how changes in road surface conditions will affect the machine. In particular, drivers Kota Sasaki and Marcel Russie will need to get used to the operability and handling characteristics of the WRX STI 2022 model in order to join the team for the first time in a long time. A 3-hour qualifying race is included on both the 7th (Saturday) and the 8th (Sunday). In these two races, you should be able to compare performance with your rivals, and depending on the results, you may need to rethink how you spend the race week of the 24-hour race starting on the 24th.

Yasuo Hiraoka, President of STI, said, "This is the first time in three years that we have participated in the 50th Anniversary Tournament. We have finished the car in 2020 and 2021, and the 2022 model is technical. We would like to say that we have kept you waiting for the fans who were looking forward to it. We also meet the expectations of our sponsors and suppliers who support us. I am renewing my determination to bring back such results. Regarding participation in races overseas, I asked the dealer mechanics and employees to confirm their intention to participate and to get the approval of their boss. , Except for a small part, we can have almost full members. Thank you for your understanding and support. "

In addition, team director Takuya Sawada said, "Since I have not participated in the last two NBR races, the staff have been disappointed. I will release them all at once and deliver good results to the long-awaited fans. Of course, in the race, the team will be managed while thoroughly taking measures against infectious diseases, so I think that there are many cases where the selfishness is different from before. Also, from this time on, the minimum pit will depend on the number of laps run in the race. There will also be a rule change that will determine the working hours, but I heard that people are allowed to enter the watching points around the Nordschleife (north course) other than the Grand Prix course. I would like to show the WRX STI running powerfully in front of a large number of spectators again. First of all, I will hold the qualifying race on May 7th and 8th with the intention of getting used to the shoulders for the 24-hour race. I will fight. I would appreciate your support. Thank you for your cooperation. "

The 2022 SUBARU WRX STI NBR Challenge will participate in the SP3T class, which runs turbo cars with a displacement of less than 2,000cc. Since we chose to install wide tires this year, it is necessary to adjust the vehicle weight to 1,300 kg or more, and in addition to adding rigidity and improvements to each part, electric power steering and 110L fuel tank are adopted. We are working to strengthen our total competitiveness by improving the air bleeding piping during refueling and by improving the collision prevention monitor system.

2022.05.07 - Nürburgring 24 Hours Race Pre-Report
NBR 24-hour qualifying race starts

On Friday, May 6th, the official qualifying for the 50th Nürburgring 24-hour race, which will start on the 26th, was held at the Nürburgring, Germany, and the SUBARU WRX STI NBR appeared here for the first time in three years. The challenge ended two qualifying sessions without any trouble. In the 3-hour races held on the 7th and 8th respectively, we will proceed with the ability verification before the 24-hour race.

The STI team left Japan on May 3 and have been preparing for this qualifying race in the team garage in Adenau, near the rink. Despite participating in the NBR race for the first time in three years, the team will continue to work hard. This team also includes fresh employees who participated for the first time. The drivers also gathered on the 4th, and on the 5th, they underwent a vehicle inspection and checked in the drivers (checking documents such as licenses, checking equipment, etc.). At the vehicle inspection, except that I was asked to repair the battery fixing method, I passed smoothly and I was able to get the vehicle inspection completion sticker. Team director Takuya Sawada said, "When I was pointed out in the car inspection of the 24-hour race, the schedule may be greatly upset in some cases, but this time I was able to pass smoothly."

The official qualifying for this qualifying race was held twice, from 12:15 to 2 hours on the 6th and from 15:15 to 2 hours. Qualifying to decide the starting grid for the final race on Saturday 7th and the final race on Sunday 8th, respectively. In the first official qualifying round, Carlo van Dam, who has the longest experience with the SUBARU / STI team, Tim Schlick, who is continuously running long-distance races here, and SUBARU have been in the NBR for eight years. Kota Sasaki, who has continued to participate in the NBR from other teams, and Marcel Lassey, who will participate in the race for the first time in a long time, will take the steering wheel in that order, and the team will first run at least one measurement lap and finish the qualification. It is a plan of. The measurement lap starts from the control line on the next lap after going around the Grand Prix course, and runs about 25km until it passes the control line. After Van Damme, Schlick and Sasaki finished qualifying, Lasse, who seemed to need the most proficiency, ran three laps and set the best time of this session, 9 minutes 13 seconds 738. This was 47th overall and was the fastest time in the SP3T class.

In the second qualifying session, Schlick, Rassey, Sasaki, and Van Dam were proficiently run two laps each, and Schlick's record of 9 minutes 9 seconds 954 was the best time. Overall it was 46th. After Schlick's run, guardrail repair work is being carried out somewhere on the course, and code 60 (driving at speeds of 60 km / h or less is obligatory) is presented in some places, so there is no chance to further shrink the best lap. was. Kota Sasaki said, "It's been a long time since Subaru, but I was surprised that the level of evolution was higher than I imagined. I'm used to the characteristics and unique rules of this course, so I'm not particularly worried. I'm looking forward to the 24-hour race. " The final of Race 1 will finally be held tomorrow. After the warm-up took place in the early afternoon, the race will be green light at 6:30 pm. It will be sunset time after 21:00, and the surroundings should be dark at the end.

2022.05.07 - Nürburgring 24 Hours Race Pre-Report
NBR 24-hour qualifying race starts

On the second day (May 7th) of the qualifying race for the Nürburgring 24-hour race, although it felt hot with strong sunlight when it was sunny, it was a cloudy and slightly chilly morning. On this day, the final race 1 of the qualifying race is scheduled to be held from 18:30 in the evening, and prior to that, a 45-minute warm-up was carried out from the afternoon.

From the day before, the SUBARU / STI team decided that this session would be a continuation of Marcel Lassey's familiar practice. This is because it is still necessary to familiarize yourself with the operation system of the 2022 WRX STI NBR Challenge. In the 45-minute session, I ran repeatedly mainly in the Grand Prix course and went to the full course for only two laps. After successfully warming up, Lassie is getting off the car with a satisfying expression. Director Eiji Tatsumi said, "In yesterday's qualifying, I heard from Maser (Rasse) that the high-speed corner was under-performing and the behavior became a little unstable after landing from the jump, so I recommend adjusting the center differential. He told me to try it in position. Also, he didn't seem to have tried adjusting the brakes, so I also told him the recommended position. When I asked after running, it seemed that there was no problem at all. " I'm talking.

The afternoon included a production car race for amateur racers. Like Germany, an automobile powerhouse, a wide variety of vehicles were gathered together, and it was seen that family and friends enjoyed motor sports. In the meantime, the teams participating in the qualifying race are busy with maintenance. In particular, the weather forecast says that it will rain just during the time when Race 1 is held, and it seems that each team was worried about what to do with the wet set. In fact, after 17:00 in the evening, raindrops were falling. It rained once, but as the grid alignment progressed, a wet race declaration was presented, and some teams were busy preparing rain tires. The WRX STI of the SUBARU / STI team will start from the 5th grid of the 2nd group. The first person to board was Carlo van Dam. Tires are slicks. After the formation lap, when the race starts, part of the north course is completely wet. However, the rain has stopped and it does not seem to fall further. The SUBARU / STI team will connect Schlick, Rassey and Button as planned. The final runner, Sasaki, took plenty of time to lap his habits and continued to hold the steering wheel for nine laps. The checkered flag was waved at 21:30, and the WRX STI ran 3 hours and 18 laps with no trouble. I was able to finish the race at the top of the class.
Start driver Van Dam said, "Today I was aiming to hand over the car safely in Nürburgring for the first time in three years, but in the early stages I had a good battle with the TCR vehicle. I came back here. I'm really happy. " Schlick also said, "I enjoy working with everyone on the team again. I am honored to be part of the STI team again. This race car has evolved again with new attempts. I felt that it was a big step that the tire performance did not deteriorate especially at the end of the stint. "

There is only one day left for the qualifying race. After warming up on the final day, top qualification for each group is scheduled, and Race 2 for 3 hours will be held again from 14:00.

2022.05.09 - Nürburgring 24 Hours Race Pre-Report
SUBARU WRX STI finishes 31st overall in NBR QF Race 2

The qualifying race for this year's Nürburgring 24-hour race, which began on May 6, reached its final day on Sunday, May 8. This day was the coldest morning of the three days, with fog covering the Eifel region early in the morning. Even so, after 8 am, we warmed up for Race 2 and then started with one car for each group, and each group had a top qualification to make a time attack on the clear lap. The SUBARU / STI team carefully checked the machine after finishing Race 1 the day before and organized the data, so considering the degree of fatigue of the team members, the run in the morning of the third day was canceled. We are preparing for Race 2 from 14:00 pm with plenty of time.

Kota Sasaki, who made a long run of 9 laps as the final runner in Race 1 the day before, said, "I was allowed to run a lot of Nürburgring for the first time in 3 years. I sprinkled a lot of oil and it was slippery, so I ran carefully. I always had code 60 somewhere on the course, but I was able to get the best time, so I thought it was a good result. The machine is fine. "

The formation lap started at 13:40 toward the start of Race 2. Car No. 114 SUBARU WRX STI has canceled the top qualification, so the race started from 38th in the 2nd group, 67th out of 73 cars that advanced to Race 2. The first driver is Tim Schlick. Immediately after the start of Race 2, the cloudy sky turned into a sunny day, and the temperature rose to nearly 20 degrees Celsius. The course condition is all dry. After three laps, the driver was replaced by Van Damme. He ran a long stint, made eight laps and made a baton touch on Sasaki. Despite the excellent conditions, accidents occurred in some places on the north course. Code 60 is presented everywhere, and it is difficult to catch the clear lap. Still, Van Damme's stint was fuel efficient, creating room for nine laps while running on high averages. However, due to the rule that everyone who runs must run more than 3 laps, they will be disqualified, so it was decided to pit in at the end of 8 laps. After that, Sasaki made three laps and was replaced by Russie. Code 60 continued for a long time on the north course, but only the last two laps were completely clear laps, recording the best lap time of 9 minutes 6 seconds 48 this time. Finished in 30th place overall. However, after that, a speed violation was pointed out while presenting Code 60, and due to a penalty, he was changed to finish 31st.

Marcel Lasse said, "I was able to run in a better condition than yesterday. There are no major problems. I had a constant base on every lap and the car was very easy to drive. The last Except for the 2nd lap, I had a code 60 or double yellow all the time, and even if it wasn't, I often caught up with the traffic, but that's Nürburgring. I'm looking forward to the 24-hour race three weeks later. " bottom.

This completes the 3-day qualifying race schedule. Race Week of the 50th ADAC Nürburgring 24 Hours Race will begin from the official vehicle inspection starting May 24th.

2022.05.10 - Nürburgring 24 Hours Race Pre-Report
SUBARU NBR CHALLENGE 2022, looking back on the qualifying race

The qualifying race for the 24-hour race held at the Nürburgring (NBR) in Germany for three days from May 6th to 8th has completed the official schedule as scheduled. The SUBARU / STI team, which will challenge the NBR for the first time in three years, will have two 2-hour qualifying sessions, one 45-minute warm-up and two 3-hour short races for a total of 10 hours and 45 minutes. I'm running a race car. Although there were no major problems, it was the first time in three years that both the team members and the drivers felt a little "left behind". In addition, the regulations have changed slightly, and there were some things that required new proficiency. We asked General Manager Eiji Tatsumi to tell us what he gained through such a qualifying race and what he left behind as an issue.

"First of all, regarding the car, I intended to finish it carefully in Japan, but there were also points that were not what I expected because the environment is different. Since I set up around the Fuji Speedway, the Grand Buri course is enough I was able to demonstrate the speed to the lap. I can lap faster than the best time so far. However, when I heard the story, I felt that the confidence from the driver was a little weak at Nordreife. The fact that the weight of 80kg is heavy is that the behavior is affected more than expected on the north course where not only the horizontal but also the vertical G is applied. Also, it is reasonable to feel that the acceleration is slow in the climbing section.Also, I am keenly aware that it has become difficult to manage the internal pressure of the tire due to the increase in tire width and diameter. At night when the temperature and road temperature are cold, the internal pressure does not rise easily, so the movement becomes insensitive. It's been three years since then, so both the car makers and the drivers need to adapt to the environment. There is a limit to what we can adjust from now on, but we have the wisdom to manage to overcome these issues mainly by setting the suspension. Squeeze.

In the new technical menu, electric power steering is clearly a plus factor in Nürburgring, which has so many turns. However, I am worried because the temperature of the unit was high during this QF race. However, I think it can be solved by the orientation of the cooling duct. Regarding the collision prevention system, we have not completed the operation check at midnight, but I think that the driver can feel at ease. In addition, once it was pointed out by the official that the exhaust noise while driving was slightly above the regulation, I replaced it with a spare silencer prepared just in case. Although it has not been pointed out since then, there is data that is close to the regulation value, so we have taken great care to arrange for the supplier to make something with high sound deadening performance.

On the other hand, due to the regulation change, I can not say that I am completely accustomed to the new rule that the mandatory pit in time changes according to the number of laps, so I have to repeat the simulation based on what I experienced this time so as not to make a mistake in the actual production. It will not be. If you can run every stint 9 laps, there will be no problem, but if you do not prepare properly when you suddenly make a pit stop or have to enter due to unavoidable force, it will lead to time loss.
Also, the surroundings have changed a lot. Full-scale GT machines such as the BMW M4 GT3 are the main focus, and young drivers who have never seen it before lap around in a fast time. The team that drives it is also more professional, with M-Sport engineers sticking to the teams using the latest BMW M4 and staring at the computer. Also, the way the cars are lined up in front of the pit is smart, such as using the roller slider to quickly position the car in the proper direction. Many teams have participated in the Nürburgring Long Distance Series (NLS), and I felt that the way they spent on the circuit was sophisticated.

In this QF race, I found the above problems, but there is nothing that needs major renovation, and I would like to solve it with the wisdom of the setup. From tomorrow onwards, the remaining members will be working on changing the engine, transmission, differentials, etc. for production. "

Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
GDA- D, GDA-A, VAG-A
GDA-A - ShinjiTuned

Loving that heat shield on the bottom of the timing belt covers. Might just be reflective tape or something but it almost looks like a separate stamped piece.

Last edited by Shik; 05-19-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:35 AM   #3
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

They just did a really nice job rolling on the foil.

I hope they bagged the headers for the thermal gains to the turbo. Then again if they went cheap on exhaust material for cost, they'd fail.

Then bagging only helps in pluming air in and out of the bag to avoid heat soaking the bay, if running cheaper materials.

Or you just header wrap and let the heat soak everything around it.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 182415
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #5
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Old 05-26-2022, 08:14 PM   #6
oaklandish_WRX
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 267339
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
MBP LongRoof

oaklandish_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
GDA- D, GDA-A, VAG-A
GDA-A - ShinjiTuned

From Subaru MSM:

At the Nürburgring, where the 24-hour race will be held on Thursday, May 26, the driving session will start from this day. In the afternoon, the first one and a half hour qualifying session was held.

The facial expressions of the SUBARU dealer mechanics have been tightened just for the first driving session after entering Race Week. It was a group photo shoot that fits in the frame with four drivers to soften such an atmosphere. The mechanics also went to the pit with the same fireproof work suit.

The first official qualifying session was from 12:30. Blessed with fine weather today, the road surface is dry. The temperature has already reached 20 degrees. First of all, it is necessary to check the engine, gearbox, brakes, etc. that have been replaced during the interval after the qualifying race. Kota Sasaki will grab the steering wheel, make several laps on the Grand Prix course, and then enter the full course for measurement. Sasaki's stint had a modest engine setting and ran two laps to make a pit stop. He has been checked by various parts, but there are no abnormalities such as oil leaks. Then, Marcel Lassie entered the course. In the same way, I ran two laps and completed the qualification. Then I touched Carlo van Dam with a baton. However, his stint was interrupted early due to an accident on the course. After that, the session ended. Van Dam said, "It seems that there was an accident that broke the guardrail on the Grand Prix course, and that section was double yellow. I had the turbo boost raised a little from the initial setting, so I wanted to check the performance. However, I can not step on the accelerator with code 60 etc. everywhere on the north course. If I thought that it was the next lap, the session would be shortened. Next time, the road surface temperature will drop considerably, so it is not suitable for time attack Maybe. The car is in great shape. " At this point, car No. 114 SUBARU WRX STI is ranked 66th overall and 1st in the SP3T class.

Official Qualifying 2, including the night session, took place from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm. The temperature was probably below 15 degrees Celsius. The road surface condition is all course dry. For the SUBARU / STI team, Carlo van Dam will face the time attack here. Immediately after the session starts, the traffic will be congested, so wait in the pit until you get a little better. About 10 minutes later, I entered the course. After going around the Grand Prix course and entering the measurement lap, we will head to the north course and carefully warm the machine and tires. The best lap time was recorded around 9 o'clock when the sun was falling toward 9:27 sunset on that day. I was replaced by Tim Schlick, who had not completed qualification. The best time for Van Damme, who made a time attack, was 9 minutes 01 seconds 904, which is a little closer to the long-desired 9-minute cut. In addition, he was 59th out of 135 qualifying cars (provisional) and 1st in the SP3T class. After Schlick's stint, it became a night session, and I connected with Rassey and Sasaki to finish the day's run. Official qualifying 3 is scheduled for 1 hour from 2:10 pm on Friday, 27th tomorrow, but the weather forecast reports the possibility of rain.

After qualifying, General Manager Eiji Tatsumi said, "I was able to face the time attack in good condition, but it is not easy to divide into 9 minutes. Carlo is the best condition on the second lap than on the first lap. It seems good, but I may have been a little overwhelmed. Tomorrow's qualifying will be a time attack again if it is dry. "

Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #8
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
GDA- D, GDA-A, VAG-A
GDA-A - ShinjiTuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Anyone have links for live streams from them yet? Super pumped for this weekend
Very pumped!!!

Great video as well!
Old 05-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #9
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Already 10sec + lead over the second place car per lap, i know they were hoping for a sub 9min lap i think they'll get it
Old 05-28-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Last edited by Bansheeboy11; 05-28-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #11
torquemada
Scooby Guru

Member#: 128484
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 EDM WRX STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Anyone find a live stream? Didnt see a link on the On-Tube youtube channel

Subaru never had a live stream, last thing I know of that they filmed their laps, changed the sd-cards for a later upload
torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #12
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Theyve had a live stream with a timer on their website years past but theres no update with video just the timer https://www.subaru-msm.com/2022/nbr/report/
Old 05-28-2022, 11:27 PM   #13
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist

Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Not gonna lie, event coverage kinda blows this year. No live streams from a bunch of teams, main ADAC stream taken down for international viewers only a few hours in, and literally almost no updates from the STI team since the race start.

Right now, 11:30et, theyre down 12 laps and two pit stops from the lead SP3T
Old 05-29-2022, 08:25 AM   #14
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
GDA- D, GDA-A, VAG-A
GDA-A - ShinjiTuned

Such a bummer! Would have loved to see how the car would have finished overall this year. They were hoping for a top 20. At least Sasaki was not injured.

Very curious what they will compete in next year, what engine, etc. would have been fitting to send the EJ20 off with a victory it it just wasn’t meant to be this year.

Driver Kota Sasaki returned to the paddock shortly after 5am, and soon the WRX STI on the tow truck returned. In the vehicle, both front wheels were particularly severely damaged, and the suspension arm of the right rear wheel was also bent. The cause is that the suspension of the left front wheel is damaged for some reason from in-vehicle data etc., which scrapes the inside of the wheel rim and causes a burst. Since that point is the place to enter at full throttle in 6th speed, it is thought that it hit the guardrail on the right side of the course and stopped across the course with too much momentum. It was fortunate that Sasaki was unharmed because the speed was over 250km / h at the time of the accident. Also, the previous report caused by the tire burst was incorrect. When the right side of the body hit the guardrail, the frame part was damaged and it was judged that repair during the race was impossible. The team unfortunately decides to retire before 6am.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:39 AM   #15
scoobyRx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33789
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 WRX Red
20 WRX silver

They're going back to N24 but in SP4T now. Looks there were only two cars in that class last year and both were Caymans.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...ctivities.html
scoobyRx is offline   Reply With Quote