Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #1
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 511379
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default Stage 2 and Smoke

Hi Team,

I believe the issue may just be because I have a J-Pipe, but I wanted to elaborate a bit more, to frame the variation going on.

Note: The first occurrence was in January, today now being the second.

I got to work this morning, didn't floor it, drove perfectly normal and I park and just let the car run. Coolant temps get up to 207 before the fans kick on, but at the same time, I noticed a burning oil smell and a bit of smoke hanging around. It wasn't large, or enough to fill a parking lot, but enough that it lingered for a few seconds before dissipating.

This is now the second occurrence of this happening, and from my research, I had seen that J-Pipes on Stage 2 FA20s have had this issue. I plan on getting the Perrin Turbo Sump Restrictor, but wanted to see if anyone else had any other input.

All aftermarket parts are below: (Even anything that doesn't really add power)

GS Drop In Filter
TGV Deletes
EGR Unplug
Perrin Turbo Inlet
GS EBCS
Perrin Charge Pipe
Cobb Catted Non-Resonated J-Pipe to Nameless CBE

Thanks!

PS: Not losing oil at all. I think I did 5.5qts instead of 5.4, not too much of a variance I believe.

Last edited by EvaUnit01; 04-24-2021 at 10:01 PM.
EvaUnit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
gasgaskid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455827

Yep, added a Turbo xt J-pipe, (catted) and after that i always picked up a gassy/oily smell when at a stop. Installed the Perrin Sump restrictor pill and the smell is gone.
gasgaskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

The smell of having a JPipe I’m not worried about, I think my main concern is seeing a cloud of smoke that smells like burnt oil. If the Perrin sump restrictor helps with this then I’m fine.

Said cloud was not enough to fill a parking lot, but enough to envelop the car before dissipating.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:03 AM   #4
bungarra
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 441457
Vehicle:
2016 WRX PRemium
White

The sump restrictor has gotten rid of the dark smoke and oil smell for me - all that remains is a bit of condensation "white smoke" and unburned fuel smell from warm up routine with a/m cat.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
yellowblur
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485903
Vehicle:
2018 WRX (Retired)
White

If you have a aftermarket J-pipe. The Perrin sump restrictor would be the best $45 bucks you will ever spend. Before I looked into it, I had no idea that turbo oil could get into the exhaust. I was like you..."my car runs fine, it consumes no oil, but where is that burnt oil smell coming from?!!". I finally got the Perrin restrictor after I saw my first glimpse of smoke. Now when I park the car, it smells like a car, not like a hot header with oil dripping on it.
yellowblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Yeah, the restrictor is something that I just got yesterday. I was able to recreate the smoke again today, drive a bit, let it sit and idle and then it starts but it's not a lot and after a few seconds it goes away. More like a wisp than anything.

Tried to find the part number from Subaru, still researching, unless anyone knows the part number for the hose. 2019 WRX with that blasted sensor of course.

Last edited by EvaUnit01; 04-27-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
joesstripclub
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461015
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

I've never seen the sump restrictor before, guess I will order one. Does anyone know how it works? Is it a check valve or does it just reduce flow with an orifice?
joesstripclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
yellowblur
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 485903
Vehicle:
2018 WRX (Retired)
White

It just has an orifice to reduce the flow thru the vent hose for turbo. Its a very simple part.
yellowblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Doppio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519052
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'18 RS3
'15 & '17 STI - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesstripclub View Post
I've never seen the sump restrictor before, guess I will order one. Does anyone know how it works? Is it a check valve or does it just reduce flow with an orifice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblur View Post
It just has an orifice to reduce the flow thru the vent hose for turbo. Its a very simple part.

This. The part itself will look like this - once installed of course. It is a tiny and simple part as explained before.

-D

Last edited by Doppio; 04-27-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Image edit.
Doppio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
ImaginaryRex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353838
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaUnit01 View Post
Yeah, the restrictor is something that I just got yesterday. I was able to recreate the smoke again today, drive a bit, let it sit and idle and then it starts but it's not a lot and after a few seconds it goes away. More like a wisp than anything.

Tried to find the part number from Subaru, still researching, unless anyone knows the part number for the hose. 2019 WRX with that blasted sensor of course.
It was covered in TSB 11-195-20:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...71099-0001.pdf

Most dealers dont have the part in-stock, but get it faster than the parts websites can ship it to you.
ImaginaryRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Now that is interesting that there’s a bulletin on this, and the fact that to add to it is that I have that seepage, maybe get that replace first and then get the part installed.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
ImaginaryRex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 353838
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Limited
WRB

Quote:
Now that is interesting that there’s a bulletin on this, and the fact that to add to it is that I have that seepage, maybe get that replace first and then get the part installed.
The TSB addressed issues with seepage at the sump connection. I never noticed additional consumption as the seepage was minimal on mine and as such only replaced the hoses when adding a J-pipe. I inserted the sump restrictor in the bottom hose on the straight section between the 2 bends. I did it before installing the hose on the car.
ImaginaryRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Think I may go that route as well. Just get the new hose, get the restrictor installed on the hose and clamped down, then put it on the car and boom...good to go.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #14
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

5/6/21 Update:
Between work (IT Audit) and the weather, I finally was able to get the Sump Restrictor on today, made sure the clamps were tightened and did an idle test to make sure no leaks. Took it for a drive and hit full boost a few times, came back and checked, no leaks.

Let the car idle and have the fans kick on which is where the smoke would usually happen, no smoke, nothing. I'll be monitoring this a few days and testing sporadically, but I think the issue is resolved, thankfully. The first time it happened I, being the paranoid person I am, thought there was something wrong.

TLDR: Get this if you're Stage 2.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
Doppio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 519052
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'18 RS3
'15 & '17 STI - Sold

Quote:
5/6/21 Update:
Between work (IT Audit) and the weather, I finally was able to get the Sump Restrictor on today, made sure the clamps were tightened and did an idle test to make sure no leaks. Took it for a drive and hit full boost a few times, came back and checked, no leaks.

Let the car idle and have the fans kick on which is where the smoke would usually happen, no smoke, nothing. I'll be monitoring this a few days and testing sporadically, but I think the issue is resolved, thankfully. The first time it happened I, being the paranoid person I am, thought there was something wrong.

TLDR: Get this if you're Stage 2.

Good to hear it is working properly.

-D
Doppio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #16
mr_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520482

I have the Perrin Turbo Sump Restrictor with MAPerformance stage 2 package. The car does not smoke!
mr_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:16 AM   #17
Booger-Toast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323166
Vehicle:
'17 WRX

Bringing this thread back up as I have a question... Let's say mine is doing this too but I don't care to add the sump restrictor. Is the blue smoke I see after about 10 min (that goes away in about 10 seconds) really that big of a problem? Or will it cause a problem?

On my '17 WRX I did that hose TSB because my hose was caked in oily residue over about 5 years of ownership. It built on there very slowly but it did absolutely have seepage and dripping into the aluminum under pan area. I can hear the turbo woosh from 1st to 2nd now as I didn't hear it before. I do hear the air sucking in through the ETS intake in all other gears as per normal though.
Booger-Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #18
EvaUnit01
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Oil leaking passed the seals is not a good thing to have happen. The modification is actually super simple, so I'd give it a go.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:40 AM   #19
Booger-Toast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 323166
Vehicle:
'17 WRX

Quote:
Oil leaking passed the seals is not a good thing to have happen. The modification is actually super simple, so I'd give it a go.
Yea but is it leaking past the seals because of the oil, or because the seal is bad? Or has the oil somehow caused the seal to go?
Booger-Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #20
Garbage15WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528139

Garbage15WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #21
Garbage15WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 528139

Garbage15WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #22
PollyPoger1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530671
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Black

Default Reply

I would also install an aos, I have the sump restrictor and aos on mine and I’ve had no oil burning issues on the stock block with 168xxx kms.

The sump restrictor is almost needed as due to the location of the turbo, when your engine is at idle, the sump doesn’t have enough pressure to push the oil to the turbo and through the return, it just ends up collecting in the turbo, then leaking through the seals when you rev it a bit.
PollyPoger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:36 PM   #23
Th3_huntsman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 530262

Oil restrictor should fix the issue
Th3_huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote