Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
bferrell130
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521783
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru
WRX STI

Default 2004 STI or 2004 FXT

So I need some advice on which direction I should go with my build...

I currently have a 2004 STI in JBP. I bought the car from an auction with a blown engine. The further I dug into the engine and car, the more damage I found. It had obviously been neglected for quite some time. It had a timing belt failure that lead to piston and valve damage. I then found scouring on one cylinder wall. Long story short I will need a short block and head work. This has proved to be quite expensive ($5000+ with new short block, new oil cooler, oil pump, gasket and timing set, etc). The paint on my car needs work and so does the interior. I'm not sure it's worth saving. So now I have two options:

Option 1. I have found several forum posts that indicate that the ej20x/y is basically a drop in replacement for the ej255 in the Outback XT, Forester XT and Legacy GT, however I haven't seen anyone replace their ej257 with it (probably because it makes less power). I know that I will have to deal with the exhaust AVCS by retarding the cam gear one tooth and possibly block off the AVCS port. I want to run a Blouch 16gxt turbo with this setup instead of the twin scroll. I would also run my intake and exhaust manifolds and ECU. This swap can be had for under $1000.

Option 2. I have found a 2004 Forester XT (also in JBP) with 180k. The car is completely stock and the owner/small dealer says it runs and drives great. It is unknown if the headgaskets have been done. It is an automatic with leather and the HUGE sunroof. I'm sure it needs some things here and there but it looks pretty solid from the pictures. My plan with it is to do a 6 speed, brembos, BBS wheels, and ECU swap from my STI. The car is listed for $3200 and appears to have the stock downpipe, which I could sell for $1200. This would put me around $2000 into the FXT.

Either route would require a new timing belt set, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, and gaskets for the turbo. I like the idea of the FXT because it is a cool dad car (I have always been a sucker for wagons). On the other hand, I have always been a fan of the STI since it came out in the US when I was in high school. I don't want to send one out to pasture if it can be saved. Let me know your thoughts!
bferrell130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
trynottoforgetname
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 516100

I feel like your post is calling my name.

I've been a lurker on these forums for a few months as I've acquired a 2004 Impreza RS project car, prewired for EJ205 drop in. I completed the engine swap and it's a fun car to drive!

While working on this Impreza since the start of Covid last year, I decided to pick up a 2004 FXT, and I'm in love with both cars as they fit different needs. The 4EAT auto is a blast, but the car has a little hard shift from 1st to 2nd while the tranny fluid warms up for the first 10 minutes, no big deal IMHO.

I love the FXT for the sunroof, heated seats, and exploring mountains. It's been argued that the FXT auto is great for climbing off-roads, and I do feel like I can go everywhere in it.

The Impreza on the other hand is built more for street (but I'll take it on a dirt rally event next month, because that's what I want to do with it).

If you are considering Option 1, I opted for jdmracingmotors.com. Their customer service is top-notch. The engine arrived in great condition and I have zero complaints. I hope this helps some.
trynottoforgetname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
bferrell130
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Subaru
WRX STI

Thanks a lot. I don’t think I will be doing much off road exploring but you never know when you’ll run into it. I plan on using it as a weekend car to take the family to the mountains. We love to explore, mountain bike, hike, etc. Also I should have stated my power goals. I really don’t want anything more than 280-300 whp. My concern is reliability and enjoyment with the family.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
bferrell130
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Subaru
WRX STI

I decided to stick with the STI for now. I ordered my EJ20x today along with several other maintenance and reliability items. Looking forward to getting it on the road.