Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-04-2022, 11:31 PM   #1
wrxmechman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 17911
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default 2018 Wrx Performance Pack Brake Pads?

Hi, own a 2018 WRX with the Performance Pack. It came with red calipers and upgraded brake pads. I believe they are Julian(?) pads which I assume are the same pad material used on Bimmers (sure create enough black dust like a BMW pad). Are the red calipers and pads the same dimensionally as a standard limited wrx caliper/pad? I would like to change them to Akebonos (half the price subaru wants for red caliper replacement pads). Thanks.
wrxmechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Just looking at pictures online, and based on the description of what the Performance Pack is, the calipers appear to be the same as non-PP WRXs, they're just painted red. That same caliper has been used by Subaru on all sorts of models, dating all the way back to 2005ish, so there should be tons of pad options available - take a look on rockauto.com and you'll find some Akebono options and many others.

According to cars101.com, the pad manufacturer is Jurid. There are plenty of brake pads that create lots of brake dust, so I'm not sure why dusty = Bimmer pad compound , but that's neither here nor there.

What part number were you able to find for the Jurid PP pads?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
Barry
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 11554
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2018 STI RA
World Rally Blue #225

Might want to look at ACT 1078A for the front..........

ACT 1114A rear with manual parking brake

ACT 1808 rear with electric parking brake

Last edited by Barry; 12-07-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
wrxmechman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

Subaru part number for the Jubid front pads is 26296SG011 according to SubaruParts.com.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
wrxmechman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

Subaru part number for the Jubid front pads is 26296SG011 according to SubaruParts.com. I like ceramic Akebonos based on past experience with them.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
Stevemejia1991
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 532648
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
white

hey man i have a question for you, i have the exact same car as you, do you have any problems where when you start slowing down the brakes start screeching noise? i had them when i got the car and the noise went away, this time when i changed my brakes i got 4 brand new rotor and pads and its still making that noise. im hoping either you and someone on here can help me out with this noise on my wrx
Stevemejia1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
Stevemejia1991
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 532648
Vehicle:
2018 wrx
white

Default brakes

hey man i have a question for you, i have the exact same car as you, do you have any problems where when you start slowing down the brakes start screeching noise? i had them when i got the car and the noise went away, this time when i changed my brakes i got 4 brand new rotor and pads and its still making that noise. im hoping either you and someone on here can help me out with this noise on my wrx
Stevemejia1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:39 PM   #8
wrxmechman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

Never had a noise problem with the Jurid brake pads. I special ordered my wrx, not sure if yours would be any different than mine if you bought yours off the lot. Bought new rotors (centric) and pads (akibono) for the fronts. When I have a chance to install them, I'll let you know if there is a noise problem. Did you grease areas called out in the subaru maintenance manual for brake installs?
Old 01-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #9
wrxmechman
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Platinum Silver Metallic

Finally found the time to change the front brake pads and rotors. Working fine, no screeching noise. Might want to look at the caliper pad retainer springs being bent during install. Also, the brake pad spring clips are supposed to be at the bottom of each pad. I could see someone easily bending the caliper springs and hitting the rotors during braking getting a screeching noise. Hope this helps.