Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
rcw5070
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 422928
Default Tranny vs. Driveshaft vs. Axle vs. Diff Vibration?

2002 WRX 5 speed - 265,000 miles
Sudden vibration under load; reduction in vibration over 80mph.

Worse when in gear under load but present when in neutral and cruising.

Axles vs. rear diff vs. transmission vs. driveshaft?

Took video posted above. I see oil leaking from driveshaft entry into tranny. Tranny oil prob has never been changed but fluid level OK. Is the play in driveshaft normal? Is clicking from tranny normal?

Any recommendations? Thanks!
rcw5070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
TOSABLE
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 510470
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Mica Blue

Default Check for movement of the engine under load

If engine&transmission tilt under load due to worn (abused in my case) motor mounts, that can change the pinion angle and stress the seal. Used to happen to my ‘80’s EA82 4wd wagons. With the output shaft of the transmission at a different angle to the driveshaft than the driveshaft to the rear end, it puts the driveshaft out of balance and can cause some hilariously sketchy vibrations when given the beans.

So prop the hood and watch the engine as you try the clutch in first & reverse with the parking brake on. If it moves too much you have some mounts to replace.

And DO replace them: I say hilariously sketchy because I survived it, but a broken u-joint at speed ranges from code brown to a very, very bad day.
TOSABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #3
Unabomber
Big Ron
Super Moderator

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

If this is your daily, I'd say swap it. Get that rear trans seal and a new driveshaft. I've swapped mine just for peace of mine at about the same mileage as you. Check your local yellow pages...I got my new driveshaft from a local company who makes them and there is likely a local source in your area too as there are a few in my area. Seems odd to have several local manufacturers but apparently driveshaft making is a thing. Mine was $250 but I have a buddy working there.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
rcw5070
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSABLE View Post
If engine&transmission tilt under load due to worn (abused in my case) motor mounts, that can change the pinion angle and stress the seal. Used to happen to my ‘80’s EA82 4wd wagons. With the output shaft of the transmission at a different angle to the driveshaft than the driveshaft to the rear end, it puts the driveshaft out of balance and can cause some hilariously sketchy vibrations when given the beans.

So prop the hood and watch the engine as you try the clutch in first & reverse with the parking brake on. If it moves too much you have some mounts to replace.

And DO replace them: I say hilariously sketchy because I survived it, but a broken u-joint at speed ranges from code brown to a very, very bad day.

Hahaha code brown . Thanks for your input! The motor mounts are actually fairly new. I put new stiffer ones in when I pulled my engine to get it stroked to 2.1L!
Old 09-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
rcw5070
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
If this is your daily, I'd say swap it. Get that rear trans seal and a new driveshaft. I've swapped mine just for peace of mine at about the same mileage as you. Check your local yellow pages...I got my new driveshaft from a local company who makes them and there is likely a local source in your area too as there are a few in my area. Seems odd to have several local manufacturers but apparently driveshaft making is a thing. Mine was $250 but I have a buddy working there.

Awesome! Thanks, Unabomber. Appreciate the input. This isn’t my daily, just a project car that had been otherwise pretty reliable. I was leaning toward the driveshaft so I’ll shop around. I’m in Philadelphia so I think we should have a decent number of shops around. FWIW, ended up picking up a 2020 Civic and 42 mpg feels pretty good. Miss the acceleration in my WRX, though. Will report back with what happens. Thanks again!