Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
SeanJohn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367601
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1995 GC8 WRX
silver

Default Ej20k STI, very poor idle, no power, won't rev

Ej20k, 1997 WRX STI type Ra, JDM import 124k kms, new rebuild.

Hey guys, I've searched all over the internet and can't find a possible solution. I've recently rebuilt the ej20k in my WRX (not the first time rebuilding a Subaru motor) and I can't get it running.

It cranks over, starts up and idles poorly at about 200rpm and then it will stall unless you give it gas to keep it running about 400rpm. Doesn't matter if you floor it or not, the throttle does not do anything, won't Rev at all over 400. Engine completely stock other than arp headstuds, cometic gaskets, aftermarket headers and an orc twin plate clutch. All other parts and gaskets replaced with OEM Subaru parts

Things I've checked:
Compression - good
Timing - checked a couple times did the belt twice to be sure (found out I had the wrong crankshaft sprocket on it), belts been off and on 3 times.
Cam and crank sensors replaced
Fuel pump good and replaced just in case with a walburo 255
New maf
New coolant sensor
Spark plugs twice
Checked spark at the ignition module.
Fuel filter

No codes, only thing I can think of is maybe the injectorss are leaking, but all of them? I never removed them from the fuel rail or intake manifold. Plugs are wet with fuel when I replaced them and the exhaust looks like it's not burning all the fuel.. Blocking the return line creates lots of pressure in the fuel system so I don't think they're leaking... For it to run this poorly all of them would need to be leaking like crazy

Feels almost like the timing is off but after having the belt off and retimed 3 times, I can't imagine it being the issue, checked once more to be sure and the marks line up. I've been trying to figure it out for a couple weeks but come up with nothing, and neither can anyone else, had an ticketed machanic look at it and is also as lost as I am.

At this point I'm looking for any suggestion anyone will have to try out

Thanks
SeanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
simer1228
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171039
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
95 RSTi Type-R LTD
Mystic Blue Pearl

o2 sensor? you have a w/b?
simer1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
2slofouru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90539
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Not getting enough air, or fuel lines reversed most likely. Maybe the iac isn't working properly or you have something blocked. If it doesn't run long enough to throw a code, you won't have any.

Also check the fuel lines from the filter area to the engine. It's easy to accidentally mix up the return and supply lines (same size) and there won't be enough pressure for much of anything. Double check the two large lines first, make sure they are routed correctly.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote