Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500169
Default Valve covers catch can

I have a catch can hooked up to my valve covers and noticed it's filling up fast, under normal driving it will fill up in a week-2 weeks. If I really push the car hard it will fill up in a day.

The way I have it routed is valve cover ports teed together into the inlet of the can. The outlet of the can goes to the turbo inlet.

The liquid in the can is coffee colored. If I don't drain it the can fills up and overflows. When it overflows it goes through the intake tube and drips on the ground. And it starts losing oil if it overflows.

Will a aos fix this? I have a catch can on the line coming from the pcv hose and it catches nothing. But the valve cover ports seem to dump alot of liquid in the can.

Last edited by Mauled; 05-11-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Mauled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

What port on the valve cover, larger or small?
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

Killerbmotorsport it's the smaller ports closest to the front of the car on both sides. I have them teed together going into the catch can. The farther back ports run to a hardline and t together and into the block I believe.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #4
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

I would do a compression and leak-down test. No AOS is going to fix an engine health issue, and that's what it sounds like you've got.

You should definitely not be filling a catch can that fast. Remember, in stock form, there is no catch can. You'd be flooding your inlet terribly in stock for, and that would definitely not be normal. In the timeframes you're talking about you should be catching a very small amount.

Also, check other things. Vacuum lines, the PCV Valve, etc. Anything PCV system related. A pinched line or cracked line can cause weird things to happen.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #5
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

Ok I tested my compression, and my numbers are all 90 except cylinder 3 which is 60.

Just for reference I plugged the tester into my dad's Chevy 350 and his were reading mostly 150 but one was 120 and one was 90.

It's a harbor freight tester, but I find it odd that it's showing all 4 low and one at 60 when the engine runs hard and idles good. Wouldnt the engine run terrible with these numbers? Might have to get a better tester and try again.

Another thing, the engine runs and sounds amazing. So I'm not sure how it could be 90psi and run like it does, but I did fix some oil leaks that were causing me to have to keep putting oil in it.

One more thing, the car is supposed to make 26psi but half of the time it will only make 14psi, which is what my wastegate spring is. I took it for a ride and it made full boost for 2 pulls then at high rpm the boost cut to 14 and it wouldn't make anymore the whole way home. I haven't been able to figure out why it does this, sounds like a wastegate issue or maybe it's hitting boost cut or something.

I know this is alot of information but I'm just trying to sort everything thats happening with the car.

Last edited by Mauled; 05-17-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 PM   #6
wooshwoosh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 514853
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 GDB-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
I have a catch can on the line coming from the pcv hose and it catches nothing. But the valve cover ports seem to dump alot of liquid in the can.
I believe that your pcv line catch can does nothing as this line is only active in vacuum when not under boost.

For my ej207:

1. The larger 16mm valve cover ports route to the center engine block breather vent.

2. The smaller 12mm valve cover ports vent blowby under boost.

3. There is an "F" plastic tee beside the center engine block breather vent, one port also vents blowby under boost and routes to the pre turbo inlet while the larger port goes to your pcv 1 way valve off the inlet manifold.

I have teed my 12mm valve covers and the "F" tee (non pcv) together to my catch can and back to the preturbo inlet.
wooshwoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:21 AM   #7
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

I have mine set up pretty much the same, valve covers going into a catch can then back to the intake. It's a very small can and has no baffles. Fills up in 1-2 weeks. I had a couple oil leaks, one out of the cam sensor plug and one on the turbo oil return line. I fixed both of those and cleaned the block off so I'm going to monitor the can and my oil level and see if it's still losing oil. I have a iag aos I will install soon. Only other issue I'm having is boost will cut to spring pressure sometimes, gonna have to log it and see if the ecu is pulling the boost due to knock or something else.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:03 PM   #8
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

Ok well I got the iag aos and mounted it. The two coolant hoses on the bottom are touching the cold side of the turbo. The drain hose is running just above the hot side of the turbo Can someone tell me if this will be an issue? I don't want to melt anything.

https://ibb.co/kmmkNQq
Old 05-19-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
wooshwoosh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 GDB-E

I would be concerned about the proximity of your catch can to the hot turbine side - perhaps consider a turbo blanket or embossed aluminum heat shielding.

For the rubber hoses you can get nylon 'fire resistant' jackets like
https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-19...leeve_p0370114
Old 05-19-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
wooshwoosh
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 GDB-E

I would be concerned about the proximity of your catch can to the hot turbine side - perhaps consider a turbo blanket or embossed aluminum heat shielding.

For the rubber hoses you can get nylon 'fire resistant' jackets like
https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-19...leeve_p0370114
Old 05-19-2023, 10:46 AM   #11
Mauled
Scooby Newbie

I found out iag sells a mounting bracket to move to the pitch stop so I ordered that. I can see why I've been having issues because my can is 1/4 of the size of the iag one. I pulled my intercooler pipes and only found small amounts of oil. I think the aos will solve my problem.