Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
Boxerhum2019
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 507557
Default car with viper alarm/remote start won't crank

Help..

I have a 2014 STI which has a Viper remote start / alarm system. Today I placed in valet mode and then disconnected the battery in order to install some new tail lights. After the tail light install (which required a splice on each side), I re-connected the battery but the car won't start. The lights come on and the engine turns but won't start.

Anybody know if this is something to do with the viper system vs the battery? Should I try a jump?

Thanks
Boxerhum2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
CHESTYC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99389
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Dirty white

Does it even stumble (almost start) or is it straight starter noise/cranking only?

Possible that Viper module freaked out and blocking spark, but i'm not 100% here.

A jump start would help only if it's turning over slowly, if it sounds like the battery is weak...but even then if you had spark, it should have started.
CHESTYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
Boxerhum2019
Scooby Newbie

I hear the engine turning like it's going to start but it doesn't fully start at all.

The battery should have been fine before all of this. However, it was my first time disconnecting and reconnecting a battery so maybe I did something wrong. I disconnected the negative terminal first and wrapped the connector in a cloth and kept it off the frame. Then I tried to loosen the nut on the positive terminal for about 5 min to no avail and then discovered I could slide it up for a fraction of the struggle. Could something have gone wrong whilst I had just the positive connector attached for 5 minutes while trying to get it off?

Reconnected in reverse order.

Would it hurt to try to jump it? I've never had a car with a remote start / alarm system like this.

Last edited by Boxerhum2019; 12-16-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Too late now but there wasn't really any need to disconnect the battery just to install some tail lights. The instructions for just about every electrical thing say to do this but in most cases it's not necessary, more of a "CYA" unless the circuit is live and there is a real danger of shorting something.
As far as what you did, to disconnect the battery you only had to remove the negative terminal, that breaks the circuit and the positive can stay in place. But you didn't do any harm by messing with the positive as well, although from your description it does sound like there is a problem with the positive clamp not being tight enough if you were able to slide it off the post without loosening the nut. So I'd suggest fixing that, if you can move the clamp around on the post at all it's too loose and may not make good enough contact when trying to start the car.
I don't know the particulars of that alarm but generally an alarm that prevents starting will have a starter kill that breaks the starter circuit and keeps the engine from cranking so I'd say your problem is most likely not the alarm.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Jack
Add Lightness

Member#: 13699
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2021 Building
It Better

Get under the dash. Rip out that viper crap. Pay attention to the wires that were cut as you're going to need to connect them back together. These things are far more of a headache than they're worth.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #6
Boxerhum2019
Scooby Newbie

Default car started

Car started today. I didn't do anything different. No idea..

Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
CHESTYC
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99389
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Dirty white

lol it be like that sometimes!

yeah, just make sure both your terminals are tight on the battery, and on you go, glad to hear you're back on the road!
CHESTYC is offline   Reply With Quote