Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > NASIOC Project Cars

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
girodisc
Former Vendor

Member#: 177674
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Default My 97 Exploder Pre-runneresk Project...

So I posted this in a couple other threads I might as well post up here because a couple people have been asking about it.

Hello, for those that have seen my other projects this is what I would call a medium undertaking. For those that haven’t, I hope this thread entertains you and maybe inspires you to undertake any project you have been putting off because you just can’t pull the trigger on it for fear of failure. Some of you may think this project is one of the best things you have ever seen. Others may think I am an idiot and I am wasting my time and money. In the end I hope you all enjoy.

So about a year ago I bought a 97 Explorer from the Wife of my boss. It paid 500.00 for it and it runs and shifts like a top. 113K miles V6 RWD. I bought it to use in the winter months so I could garage my other car. Bought some new wheels, and tires for it and did a torsion twist on it to get the front end up a bit. I have never worked on an off road type vehicle before. All my past projects have been street cars with lots of HP so I was excited to dive into a new world. I started by making some steal bumpers, pre-runner style light bar, and a luggage rack with snowboard attachments. I have always wanted to build a pre-runner style truck.

Anyways… a year has past and one bad bearing and blown shocks have taken there toll on the suspension so I have decided to upgrade.

I wanted to make a truck that had a lot of suspension travel and ground clearance. I didn’t want to lift it needlessly unless it was going to increase travel. However I also don’t need any heavy duty long travel pre-runner style kits because I am never going to jump dunes, or run at 70+ in the dessert, but I do want to go play in the dirt and if I am going to keep up with the 4wd guys then I am going to need momentum… So I have come up with what I think will be the best setup for me. It’s going to be a front long travel kit that utilizes the OE style torsion/ shock setup. This entire setup costs less then any long travel coilover kit w/o the coilovers. Total budget for this is about 2500.00 w/ tires.

Here is the parts list:

3” lift spindles
Adjustable Upper Control Arms
OE Lower Control Rods
OE Inner/ Outer Tie Rods
New Bearings
Front OE Spec Universal Fox Racing Shocks
Rear 2” Spacers

Not Pictured:
Type “1” Stiff Torsion Bars
305/70/16 Goodyear Duratrac Tires

Spindles:
I got these from Air Bag It. They are an all new heavy duty cast piece that they look great. Major plus points is the spindle itself un-bolts from the knuckle (OE is all one piece). The spindle itself also uses a stronger outer bearing from the F150, retains Stock Brakes, and ABS sensor. Also being a lift spindle it drops the spindle for instantly 3” of added ground clearance.

Upper Control Arms:
Also came from Air Bag It. These pieces are nice. They have a grease able ball joint and polly bushings on the inside. They are adjustable for easy camber/ caster adjustment and the best part is that they are made from bent steal tubing. (more on why later)

Shocks:
Fox 2.0 Performance universal shocks. After a bunch of research I opted for these over any Explorer specific parts because they are more heavy duty and the mounting points allow for a much wider range of shocks if I want to upgrade even further in the future. Almost identical to the OE shocks for extended and compressed length and custom valved for the type of driving I want to do.

OE Parts:

All Aftermarket with upgraded joints and bushings based on what I could find on the internet for quality parts. I could have just reused the original Lower control arms but getting new ones made it so I could do the fabrication and continue to drive the truck for less down time.

Spacers:

$60.00 of ebay with lifetime warranty. These are for the rear to space the rear wheels out to help with stability.

Okay so on with project description:

Using these parts I am going to cut and extend the Inner Tie rod, Lower, and Upper Control arms 8” to make a wide track, long travel suspension kit. By extending the arms I should have OE ride quality and an additional 8” of ground clearance (9.5” overall with the new tires) with an additional 4-5” of travel. I’ll get 16” of added wheel track for better stability (18” overall with new tires).

The Lower Control arms will be cut and then extended with thick gauge sheet metal. Then reinforced I beam ribbing on the inside it should make for a much stronger then OE piece. Also a new shock mount will be added to fit the new shock.

The Upper Shock mounts will be cut off and a new custom piece will be made and welded to the frame rail

The Upper Control arms and Inner Tie Rods will be cut and extended by welded a solid rod to the cut pieces and then sleeved using a piece of tubing that is cut in half. The first half will be seam welded to the original and new rod and then the other half will be welded to other half. This should make for a strong durable extension.

I have started with the lower control arms which are going to require the most work.

First I cut them in half:

Then I welded two 4” wide pieces of steal together to get the desired 8” of extension and then welded them to the cut OE pieces.

Then a 3” wide piece in the rear and a 2” wide piece on the front for the side walls.

Tomorrow I hope to have pics of the finished control arms so more to come. Once the pieces are finished the truck will come in and they will be installed. From there I can check the ride height so I can figure out how much I need to lift the rear. Also new fenders will need to be made to work with the wider stance and larger tires so ones the suspension is finished I’ll be fabing those out of sheet metal as well. And finally to finish things off the truck will be getting a couple updates to the bumpers, some additional plating to the doors for bashing, custom running boards, and some custom mesh covered window frames in case 2012 brings about a zombie apocalypse… LOL But seriously if it does happen a zombie proof vehicle will be in high demand…

I hope you have enjoyed what I had to offer so far.

Johann @ Girodisc
girodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
girodisc
Former Vendor

Okay so I managed to get all my other stuff done so I can get some time to work on the xploder.

I finished boxing in the LCAs.

Then I took one and started doing all the bracing un the underside. I ended up running our of metal before I could finish so I am going to get more so I can finish the one and get the other one done as well so I can put the finish them off the top and bottom caps.

So with all the work I could do to those done I decided to get the Tie Rods out of the way.

Cut them and make the extension pieces

Welded them together:

Made the Sleeves:

Then welded it all together. It looks nice and stout.

I was going to start on the UCAs but I think I am going to need to fab them on the truck because they don't seem be the same on ether side and I worry that they might need some adjustment so I can going to mount them and then extend them. Finish welding them. Double check their fit, and then cut the mounts on the rail so I can redo them.

That's all for now.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
girodisc
Former Vendor

More Pics!!

Finished up the bracing on the LCAs and replicated it to the other side. Got the first lower cap drawn out so I'll cut it and weld it up tonight. I am going to try and make a big push to finish the LCAs completely tonight.

Also after a long wait my coilovers are here. Looks like they set me up with some King 650lbs springs so that will be a good starting point. I will make the upper and lower mounting brackets for these but wait to weld them on till after the arms are done so I can make sure they are put in the right position.

Johann @ Girodisc

Last edited by girodisc; 10-03-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
girodisc
Former Vendor

So fortune cam my way and I bought a car of my friend that later this winter is going to be turned into a dedicated auto x/ track car. However this made it so I could get the exploder in the shop and start getting stuff done while I drive my new project.

Got one side of the stock stuff off and it was actually really easy. No rust on the truck what so ever. Got the Lower control arms on and the spindles and then checked to make sure they fit because they were a bit funny looking. Made a jig off the stock arms and welded in the extension rods that I slipped inside the cut tubes.

So with it all together I could finally start looking at measurements to double check and make sure everything was going to work. Angle of movement on the arms is same as stock but I am getting an additional 9" of lift/ ground clearance and my travel increased from about 6" to 10.5 with the arm stopping at the original bump stop.

After it was all set in I used the shocks I originally purchased to go with the torsion idea to set the shock position. I made some standard thick gauge tabs for the bottom and some more elaborate upper mounts that were fitted inside of the stock shocks cup. The to pieces were welded all the way inside to make basically to big gussets to strengthen the original mount and are also being welded into the rail as well as getting boxed in. (Pics of that later this week)

So here is the shock fully extended:

And resting on the bump stop:

As you can see I have about an inch left in the shock with is perfect because it should even touch the shocks bump stop even with the body bump stop flattened out. But it looks like on the wheel its another 1 3/4" if the body bump stop was flattened out.

So the coilover was about 3/4" longer then the then shock and the spring was a 14" so I can get a bit of pre-load on without loosing any lift. With the coilover set and just jacking the arm up at the spindle it lifts the truck off the jack stand with 1.5" of compression so with minimal pre-load it will have about 2" of droop. Once everything is finished I will get it on the ground and take it for a drive to see how it drives. If its to soft I can add more pre-load and if its still softer then I want I am considering throwing the torsion bars back in to help. Since alone that can't hold the weight and the arms angles are the same I could use them as a helper which will require less pre-loading on the coilover and allow for easier left to right adjustment. Time will tell.

Here is a pic of everything lightly installed:

So with the driver's side pretty much done I will be finished welding the last couple pieces onto the LCAs. I'll get the UCA all welded up and then its on the beefing up the frame rail and x-member. I am hoping by the end of the week I should have both sides installed for good and painted and the x-member all done. I will be gone this weekend so next Monday I will get the bearings, rotors and brakes on so I can put the truck on its own weight and give the system its first test. Once its dialed in to the way I like it I will do the SOA conversion to the rear and made the fender flares.

More to come!

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
girodisc
Former Vendor

Okay update time:

Got my new lines. They are skyjaker lines for a ford w/ 8" lift so they are perfect for me since I have a 7" extention. I got a 4" lifted line for the rear for my SOA kit.

Got a nice chunk of work done last night. I finished the left side upper control arm (minus grinding)

There is a rod that is welded inside the UCA and then a pipe that was cut in half was welded to the 3 pieces. As you can see the lower part overhangs onto the oringinal UCA. The the upper piece was welded to the lower to make a beefy sold piece. I added the cross bar to help with strength since with this type of suspension the wheels like to pull a part so its just a little added insurence.

and I finished the shock mount, added some strength to the rail and bump stop arm. This is definetly overkill for my setup but I figure why not incase I get the bug to upgrade.

I am going to make a big push to finish at least one LCA tonight so more pics tomorrow.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
girodisc
Former Vendor

Here are the pics from last night.

The start of the bracing on the -Member. Still need to do the washers and add a few gussets.

Finished the underside of the LCA. I have 2 more pieces to weld and they are finished so I will do that right before paint.

And lastly I got the drivers side in for the last pre-fit before it all gets grinded and painted.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
girodisc
Former Vendor

I made the braces on the X-Member wide enough so the oil pan can still drop out. It shouldn't cause me any issues. I preferred to weld them in because I thing it will be stronger then a bolt on piece. I also fabricated it in a 3rd of the time.

So here are the pics from last night. Both sides done and in POR 15. Tonight I'll have pics of the front end on the ground. My plan was to back it out of the shop and flip it around to do the rear but I think I am going to do the front fender flares so if I want to take it for a test drive I can without a cop flipping out on me. I think I am going to do both front and rear flares this week and then start the rear end this weekend. Tonight I am going to swap the rear brake line and swap all the brakes so I don't have to re-bleed the system for when I start the rear end.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
girodisc
Former Vendor

So moment of truth... Got the brakes and shocks in:

Then I got the tires on and got it settled. Did a quick bleed on the brakes so I could at least move it around. Drove it down the street and back and it felt really good. It settled about 2", steering angles are about the same as stock maybe a little worse, and the suspension is soft but side to side is actually better then stock. It feels pretty stout but when you go over a bump the front dosen't bob up and down. Just absorbs it and then slowly returns to riding height. I am sure the handling will be a little different once it gets an ass lift but so far it seems to be a complete success. Looks really funny with the rear still being un-modified but I will tackle the SOA kit this week so I can do the fender flares. Anyways here are the pics of the finished front suspension..

I hope you have enjoyed the first part of my project.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
girodisc
Former Vendor

So here is the concept of what I am thinking for the sheet metal body work. Should look very unique to say the least.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
girodisc
Former Vendor

So I started the SOA Kit last night and realized there was no need for getting elaborate on the rear end.

Finished flipping the axle and got my plan for making the shock mounts and they are going to be a bolt on for the stock location. Just reused the original lower shock plate and u-bolts to mount it. Going to make a custom bracket that bolts the top of the shock in the original holes and done. Only other thing that I have not accounted for is the driveshaft. I need to get it extended so I am going to figure out the length and drop it off at the shaft shop and over the weekend I am going to tandem making the exterior panels for the xploder and get started on the project that I have planed for after the its done.

Here's a couple pic of the truck at its final ride height. I'll have better ones when I get it outside after I finished bleeding the brakes. Fronts about 1.5-2" higher up then the rear buts its pretty much a perfect fit. The front wheels don't look as ungodly wide with the rear wheels spaced out and the truck at the correct height. I think it looks really really good. I am very happy with the final stance I think its going to work great for me for years to come.

I will have pics of the fab on the exterior parts over the next week and then it will go into my buddies both for a quick coat of paint.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
girodisc
Former Vendor

Okay so now that the suspension is done its finally time to get to the exterior transformation of my exploder.

Started the Front Fenders on Friday. Started with cardboard. A couple hours later I settled on this:

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
girodisc
Former Vendor

Then I took some 18ga sheet metal and began to tack the parts together. Once each piece was ready to be tacked on I traced it on to a second sheet of metal for the other side. Made a couple slight changes to it once it was in metal. Note the vent at the back to help remove trapped air.

Sheet of metal ready to be cut to make RH Fender:

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
girodisc
Former Vendor

So I got the piece all cut out for the other fender but the tip of my welder decided it wanted to break so instead I spent Sunday getting all the little things to get it running finished up.

Installed the ABS Sensors
Bled the Brakes
Swapped the Rear Brake Pads
Aligned the front wheels good enough to get to an alinement shop
Finished all the wiring for my fog lights (originally it wasn't wired how I wanted)

Then at the end of the day I used the cardboard pieces I made for the front fender and modified them to work on the rear. That way I saved a bit of time and I know they will match. I think the rear flare helps tone down the front. The wheels don't look like they stick out as far as they did before.

Tonight I should have the parts to fix my welder so I can get all the fenders cut and tacked on the truck. Maybe if I am felling frisky I will finish welding them so I can grind them tomorrow. I still need to work on the bumpers and eventually the doors and window pieces so I might just make a good push to finish everything this week while I am waiting for my driveshaft.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
girodisc
Former Vendor

Finished up the fenders. Painted the Grill and installed the new headlights. Got the shaft spacer installed and took it out for a more involved road test. I need to bleed the brakes a little more but all in all it runs and drives great. Took it down a couple logging roads slow and no pops or clunks or rattles. Drove back down at a much higher speed and everything performed great. Ride nice on the street, a little more sway then before with the rear lifted but its better then it was with the stock suspension with the front sway removed so I would say that its a complete success.

Got it outside for some pics and then I put it in the garage to paint the front fenders. I'll be working on the rears and front bumper tonight and I am hoping by Monday of next week I can put the closing stamp on this and get ready to hit the trails.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #15
M4c0770
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225851
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
07 Spec Wannabe
Limited in San Remo Red

Bang of fun, Good planning man, enjoy it ! Then sell it to me
M4c0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
girodisc
Former Vendor

LOL I have considered flipping it. PM me if your serious.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
M4c0770
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225851
Vehicle:
07 Spec Wannabe
Limited in San Remo Red

Got a 4x4 Cherokee to sell first, but I'm in luv to that thing. did you consider drive over deep mud? or consider to attatch the snorkel air intake?
M4c0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
girodisc
Former Vendor

Yes I snorkel is planed for the future but I need to get an intake first. I need to start driving it so I can start on a couple other cars I have so in a few months when I have another running vehicle or I have some spare time the Exploder will get a nice dose of HP.

Intake
Custom Snorkel
Headers
Exhaust
Chip
Plugs
Custom Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Electric Radiator Fan

Then it will be done for a while. In the farther future I will start adding more race stuff to it. Roll Cage, Rear Coilovers/ 4-Link because whether it makes it or not, or I have to drive 30mph I will run this in the Baja 1000. Still needs a lot of work before then but in a few years if its still in my possession I am doing it.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
grittyshifting
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282577
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1999 EG33 OBS
Blood red

So sick! Prerunner SUVs are awesome. I'm liking the bod work too! cool project all around
grittyshifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
girodisc
Former Vendor

Here are the pics from last night. Rear fenders welded up and ready to be grinded. One side step ready to be grinded. Front bumper on an coated in POR 15. I'll be putting a nice semi gloss black bumper coated over the POR 15 because the bumper can't be shinny like the fenders.

Fenders (Fully working rear doors). Still need to think on the gas door but I have an idea I'd like to work on in a couple weeks after I get a couple other projects under way.

Here is the side step. Made from 1-1/4" square tubing and has cool looking floating steps.

Once they are painted the steps and the parts on rear bumper you can stand on are getting some traction tape. Instead of just black I got this cool skateboard grip tape that I think goes we'll with my Zombie Crusher theme.

And finally pics of the truck stepping back. I think the Rear fenders compliment the front and now the wheels on the front don't look as spaced out. Also make the truck look a lot smaller I think. I am happy wit the way they came out I can't wait to get them in black tonight. I hope to be driving it tomorrow morning.

I will get the rear bumper extensions fabed up tonight and the bumper's Backside POR15s and some Bumper coating on it. Fenders all grinded and painted. I know I have another before I can drive it for good so I am going to try and get the Door plates on if I can so I can just POR15 the while side of the truck.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
girodisc
Former Vendor

Last for the day I got the revisions done to the driveshaft spacer.

More pics tomorrow. Hopefully Friday pics of it out in the world driving around.

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Honest Bob
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 94698
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 30R Wagon
CGM

Love your work. As always!
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
girodisc
Former Vendor

Shes all painted up. Just need to bleed the brakes one last time. Swap the Wiper Blades, and put new tabs and she is ready to go. I'll be driving her tomorrow!

Johann @ Girodisc
Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
CatfaceType-R
Scooby Guru

Member#: 81102

dude you are the f'ing man!
CatfaceType-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
girodisc
Former Vendor

Okay drove it to work today. Shes done except I need to weld on the other side step but its done. Looks flipping great.

Next stop alignment and then dirt...

Johann @ Girodisc