Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 7, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 PM   #4626
TriAxis 6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 377862
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: on stage or recording studio
Default

^ Really dude?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
TriAxis 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #4627
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmaments View Post
Will stock tires (on stock wheels) rub when the car is lowered without a fender roll?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamerasAndCars View Post
Is it worth it to roll your own fenders, or should i go to someone who knows that they're doing?
If you have to ask this question, I would not recommend rolling your own fenders. They'll come out terrible. Take it to a pro.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #4628
Firmaments
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488325
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
Thank you! That's what I thought but wanted to be safe.
Firmaments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #4629
Firmaments
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488325
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwaktastiK View Post
This stance is perfect imo. How much are you lowered all the way around?
Firmaments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #4630
somelad75
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493026
Join Date: Oct 2018
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Dark Grey

Default

G'day, and first up: thanks for a mass of information on wheel sizes/offsets. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the offset to rim width ratio also plays a part in how the wheel will sit...?

So I'm wondering whether the recommendation of 18x9.5 +38 Offset with 265 tyres (that's how we spell it in Aus) would be comparable to 18/8.75 +37 offset with 255 tyres as far as avoiding tyre rubbing?

Thanks in advance - trying to get as much understanding of these things as I can and I searched this and other forums but couldn't find anything...

Cheers
somelad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #4631
Wifeismad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473263
Join Date: Aug 2017
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default 2011 WRX Hatch Fitment Example

Car info:
2011 WRX Hatch
Lowered with RCE black springs on Koni inserts
Clearance: Rear Fenders are rolled as you can see in the pictures. Not perfect rolling but does add clearance. Also rear bumper is trimmed for clearance as well.

Summer Setup:
Wheels: Rota T2R 18x9.5 offset 38mm
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R18
Weight: 49.2lbs(Unofficial as they are USED Tires)
Clearance:
- Front: Rub on hard bumps but not too major. I may try to see exactly where it rubs in make clearance but it is very minimal and it may just make it's own clearance eventually.

- Rear: When I first bought the car it came with the summer wheels and they rubbed in the back quite a bit. It was hitting the rear bumper so that was trimmed back. At first I thought the tire was being shaved but it was actually the rear bumper plastic melting to the tire and was easy to remove. Once that was cleared it never rubs back there but i don't usually have a ton of weight in the rear.

The Summer Look:



Front Summer:


Summer Wheel & Tire Weight:

Note: In case anyone asks the Subaru logo center caps are 3D stickers custom made by 3dcarstickers.com. Took a while to show up but I think they are dope and price was reasonable. I just mearusred the center cap and when the stickers arrived put them on the center caps that came with the wheels. I have a set coming for the Enkei wheels too.


Winter Setup:
Wheels: Enkei TSP-5 18x8.5 offset 45mm
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R18
Weight: 47.2lbs(Official as they are NEW)
Clearance: No rubbing front or rear but I think they look a tad pushed in compared to my summer setup. Also worth nothing how much the center of the wheel is passed the edge of the tire and rim lip. It sticks out about an inch!

The Winter Look:


Front Winter:




Back Winter:
Can really see the fenders rolled here



Winter Wheel & Tire Weight:
Wifeismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #4632
Wifeismad
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473263
Join Date: Aug 2017
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelad75 View Post
G'day, and first up: thanks for a mass of information on wheel sizes/offsets. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the offset to rim width ratio also plays a part in how the wheel will sit...?

So I'm wondering whether the recommendation of 18x9.5 +38 Offset with 265 tyres (that's how we spell it in Aus) would be comparable to 18/8.75 +37 offset with 255 tyres as far as avoiding tyre rubbing?

Thanks in advance - trying to get as much understanding of these things as I can and I searched this and other forums but couldn't find anything...

Cheers
I am not 100% sure as you seem to have left out the tire(tyre) profile so I assume 35 for both?

I have used this calculator for a visual representation:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...-75&offset2=37

Again assuming 35 on both then they appear to be almost identical.
Wifeismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #4633
cirwin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493223
Join Date: Oct 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Vehicle:
1999 OutBack
RED/Gold

Default

Great post, with good info thanks so much.
cirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #4634
Alola
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480998
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default

I'm looking advice on fitting R16/6.5 55 offset wheels on my 2013 WRX. I've searched the thread and I'm looking for more of an in-depth answer than I've found.
I know the stock wheels are R17/8 +53. My understanding is that the key values here are the offset of +53 and the width of 8" when trying to find equivalent wheels.
I understand that a lower offset like +40 means the wheels stick out more and that a bigger offset like +60 means the wheels are more tucked in.

I currently use this steel wheel setup from TireRack:
I want 16R wheels for the snow. I see they are 6.5" wide and their offset is now +50 (compared to stock R17 +53) because they're thinner? I do notice these wheels are a bit tucked on my car when compared to the OEM 17's which are pretty much flush with the car.
https://i.imgur.com/N8griUd.png

I want to get these R16/6.5 with 55 offset wheels off a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i and use them this winter.
I'm worried that because their offset (+55) is even greater than the steel wheels (+50) while still having the same width of 6.5 they'll tuck even more and might rub. I also want to know how that offset might affect steering feel/geometry. I plan to do Ice Time Trials (ITT) with the car and need to make sure the car has the full range of its suspension/turning without rubbing because there can be some nasty bumps.
https://i.imgur.com/PUcrr6T.png

Last edited by Alola; 11-28-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Alola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #4635
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

What you're thinking is correct in that they will be closer to the suspension than the STEEL wheels. by 5mm, which is less than 1/4 inch.

So if you have that much room with the steel wheels, then you should be fine with the impreza wheels. But you are narrowing your track "slightly" which usually means worse handling as a rule of thumb. You will only notice any change in a race environment. Are you using studs or just the regular winter tires you posted?
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #4636
Alola
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480998
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default

I currently use Hakkapeliitta 9's Studded for the Ice Time Trials. I might make super studs for this season though...would that have an effect (I'm not sure how it could)?

Realistically though, if I wanted winter rims to fit more flush/have the same track width as the OEM R17/8's would one of the following be a better wheel size:

16R/7 +45mm (My gut is thinking this would be the ideal?)
16R/7 +48mm
16R/7.5 +48mm
16R/8 +42 (I'm guessing this would be too wide/stick out/rub because it's the same wheel width as stock?)
Alola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #4637
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alola View Post
I currently use Hakkapeliitta 9's Studded for the Ice Time Trials. I might make super studs for this season though...would that have an effect (I'm not sure how it could)?

Realistically though, if I wanted winter rims to fit more flush/have the same track width as the OEM R17/8's would one of the following be a better wheel size:

16R/7 +45mm (My gut is thinking this would be the ideal?)
16R/7 +48mm
16R/7.5 +48mm
16R/8 +42 (I'm guessing this would be too wide/stick out/rub because it's the same wheel width as stock?)
The 16x7's +45 would probably be a good choice, you could probably go down to a +35 depending on how large the overall diameter of your tire and studs are. And if you make super studs you just need to take into account overall diameter. the largest you can fit on an an 08-14 widebody comfortable is a 26" diameter tire, and that isn't taking into account suspension compression.

Here is a pic with 16x7 +50 with a 25mm spacer behind them (so effectively +25) and 26" diameter tires. I had no rubbing issues. I would fear of ripping the wheel well plastic if I had studs.

rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #4638
Alola
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480998
Join Date: Jan 2018
Default

What tires are you running in that picture, I can't zoom in enough to read it...

I see, so when we go to a narrower tire we have the option of making up the difference with offset. Since the wheel well is concave when tires are out of the center of the wheel well (sweet spot) there's less space so we need to be more concerned about potential rubbing. Right?

You mentioned that the biggest diameter wheel + tire combo the 11-14 WRX can take is 26". How would I calculate suspension travel into it so I could ensure super studs won't rip anything?

P.S. Thanks for all the advice so far, it's been very helpful and informative.
Alola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #4639
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

The tires are yokahama geolanders in a discontinued 215/60/16 size. I just got one of the last sets really cheap.

And when you go more narrow you can make up the difference with offset to "center the wheel".

As for the suspension travel, I don't know stock offhand, but coilovers will generally list the compression, and if you really want the worst case you can just assume it will compress so hard all the springs are touching (highly unlikely unless you take sweet jumps).
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #4640
koralr33fer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494884
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

This is a handy tool when changing tire sizes too, especially if you are looking for an uncommon size, sometimes you can find a similar size tire that fits almost the same, https://tiresize.com/calculator/
koralr33fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #4641
Alola
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480998
Join Date: Jan 2018
Question

Thanks to the help in this thread and some reading I've got a better understanding of the offsets and wheel size I can run on the 11-14 WRXs.

How do we know if the stock brakes will clear a wheel? These '01 Legacy wheels are R16x6.5, +48 offset, and being 5x100 should fit the WRX but I'm unsure about the breaks. I saw a post in my local FB about a guy with similar size Sparco wheels having trouble with clearance. How can I measure that without trying the wheels in person?

I'm gonna run them with 215/55/16 tires

https://i.imgur.com/2GtFUvV.png

Last edited by Alola; 12-14-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Alola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #4642
squilliam6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495104
Join Date: Dec 2018
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

I currently have a bone stock 2013 WRX hatchback that I got back in February. I recently got the itch to put a more aggressive wheel and tired combination on my car. I donít think I will be lowering my car anytime soon due to the shear crappiness of my driveway.

With that said.. could I fit 18x9.5 +40 with 265/35/R18s without rolling the fenders?

I donít want to roll the fenders and risk cracking the paint. I daily drive my car and we get a lot of snow and salted roads here in Maryland.

Any advice is much appreciated!
squilliam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #4643
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alola View Post

How do we know if the stock brakes will clear a wheel?
For the popular upgrade brakes, we know because other people have tried it and shared. For little teeny wheels like those 16's, that hasn't happened.

Quote:
How can I measure that without trying the wheels in person?
I supposed you could pull the wheels, make a cardboard template of the brakes, make a template that's the inverse of that, and stick it in the wheel and see if it fits. Or, you could just get them and try them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam6
could I fit 18x9.5 +40 with 265/35/R18s without rolling the fenders
No. They will rub in the rear. We can usually roll them safely without cracking the paint, although that's not guaranteed. Or just run a narrower tire.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #4644
cdmorgan18
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 494250
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default ESR SR01 18x9.5 +33

I thinking about purchasing a set of rims that are 18x9.5 +33. Would they fit on my 2012 Impreza WRX Sedan?

Any feedback is appreciated.
cdmorgan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #4645
Doublewestern
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303056
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF bay area
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
Rally blue

Default

I drive a 2011 sti sedan and lowered on swift spec R. What is the minimum offset if I wanna run 18x9.5 with 265 35 18 tire without any fender modification? 48? 50? Thanks in advance
Doublewestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #4646
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorgan18 View Post
I thinking about purchasing a set of rims that are 18x9.5 +33. Would they fit on my 2012 Impreza WRX Sedan?
The wheels will fit fine, but any tire you put on them will probably run into the fenders. Re-read first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublewestern View Post
I drive a 2011 sti sedan and lowered on swift spec R. What is the minimum offset if I wanna run 18x9.5 with 265 35 18 tire without any fender modification? 48? 50? Thanks in advance
Maybe +50, but we haven't seen any wheels that size with an offset that high.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #4647
Doublewestern
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303056
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF bay area
Vehicle:
2011 STI limited
Rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
The wheels will fit fine, but any tire you put on them will probably run into the fenders. Re-read first post.







Maybe +50, but we haven't seen any wheels that size with an offset that high.



Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com


So it will probably be fine if I find 18x9 +50 instead? Any performance draw back if I mount the 265 tire in 9 inches width instead of 9.5?
Doublewestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #4648
Jeiel123
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495960
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default Wheel name

[quote=Oaf02Z;42092173]18x10 +38 3mm front spacer. ARP extended studs. Rears rolled. No rubbing. 265/35 General G-Max AS03 tires

What wheels are these if you donít mind ?
Jeiel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #4649
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublewestern View Post
So it will probably be fine if I find 18x9 +50 instead? Any performance draw back if I mount the 265 tire in 9 inches width instead of 9.5?
265 is wider than ideal for a 9" wheel, and the tire might start to rub the front strut at that high of an offset.

Dan
Mach V
FastWRX
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 AM   #4650
WRX CREED
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453218
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifeismad View Post
Car info:
2011 WRX Hatch
Lowered with RCE black springs on Koni inserts
Clearance: Rear Fenders are rolled as you can see in the pictures. Not perfect rolling but does add clearance. Also rear bumper is trimmed for clearance as well.

Summer Setup:
Wheels: Rota T2R 18x9.5 offset 38mm
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R18
Weight: 49.2lbs(Unofficial as they are USED Tires)
Clearance:
- Front: Rub on hard bumps but not too major. I may try to see exactly where it rubs in make clearance but it is very minimal and it may just make it's own clearance eventually.

- Rear: When I first bought the car it came with the summer wheels and they rubbed in the back quite a bit. It was hitting the rear bumper so that was trimmed back. At first I thought the tire was being shaved but it was actually the rear bumper plastic melting to the tire and was easy to remove. Once that was cleared it never rubs back there but i don't usually have a ton of weight in the rear.

The Summer Look:



Front Summer:


Summer Wheel & Tire Weight:

Note: In case anyone asks the Subaru logo center caps are 3D stickers custom made by 3dcarstickers.com. Took a while to show up but I think they are dope and price was reasonable. I just mearusred the center cap and when the stickers arrived put them on the center caps that came with the wheels. I have a set coming for the Enkei wheels too.


Winter Setup:
Wheels: Enkei TSP-5 18x8.5 offset 45mm
Tires: Bridgestone RE71R 265/35R18
Weight: 47.2lbs(Official as they are NEW)
Clearance: No rubbing front or rear but I think they look a tad pushed in compared to my summer setup. Also worth nothing how much the center of the wheel is passed the edge of the tire and rim lip. It sticks out about an inch!

The Winter Look:


Front Winter:




Back Winter:
Can really see the fenders rolled here



Winter Wheel & Tire Weight:

Thank you for the side picture! I finally found one that have a good angle that I can see if the car is tuck fitment. People honestly need to take better angle so u can see if you have tuck or poke fitment lol.

Anyone know if the rs05rr 18x8.5 +43 offset with 255 tires will be stretch or balloon? I am wondering what would be best for tuck fitment: debating to get 245 or 255 with stock suspension and without rolling fenders.
WRX CREED is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed: Stock Impreza/WRX/Legacy wheels and tires to fit '01 Legacy L acetmi Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 06-14-2006 01:43 PM
need somewhere to get wheels and tires asap bubba03wrx Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 22 04-02-2004 10:14 PM
Wider wheels and tires in the rear SilveRexy03 Tire & Wheel 14 11-04-2003 05:49 PM
WEre is a good place to buy wheels and tires MilfordSubaru Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 4 05-25-2002 02:14 PM
Where to buy wheels and tires? wilddave1 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 03-21-2002 03:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.