Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 7, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #4476
RSX_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376415
Join Date: Dec 2013
Smile Fitment question

Hi. Im looking to run a 18x9.5 +35 on stock height. Do you know if this will call for fender rolling or if they will clear with no issue. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a 11 wrx compact.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
RSX_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #4477
erniev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440682
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX_02 View Post
Hi. Im looking to run a 18x9.5 +35 on stock height. Do you know if this will call for fender rolling or if they will clear with no issue. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a 11 wrx compact.
short answer , yes. Roll.
erniev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #4478
Mach V Dan
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 12029
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Sterling, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX_02 View Post
Hi. Im looking to run a 18x9.5 +35 on stock height. Do you know if this will call for fender rolling or if they will clear with no issue. Thanks in advance for any help!
First of all, you haven't told us what tire you are trying to run. Secondly, if you read the VERY FIRST POST it goes into considerable detail explaining that you should run a higher offset to have any chance of fitting without rolling.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
Mach V Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #4479
RSX_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376415
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach V Dan View Post
First of all, you haven't told us what tire you are trying to run. Secondly, if you read the VERY FIRST POST it goes into considerable detail explaining that you should run a higher offset to have any chance of fitting without rolling.

--Dan
Mach V
FastWRX.com
I'd like to stay near a stock tire size. & I don't mind rolling if I have to I just want to make sure they are going to fit before ordering.
RSX_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #4480
RSX_02
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 376415
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniev View Post
short answer , yes. Roll.
If rolled do uk if any rubbing issues?
RSX_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:48 AM   #4481
erniev
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 440682
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX_02 View Post
If rolled do uk if any rubbing issues?
That's tough to say since I'm running 10mm more offset than you.
erniev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #4482
deeefour
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357646
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

While I like the look of an 18" wheel for my '11 WRX hatch, I feel uneasy enough about my stock wheels on CT roads with the stock sidewall.

I want a 9.5" wide wheel, but unlike most people here I'm looking at staying at 17" diameter.

I'm looking at WedsSport SA-72R, 17x9.5 +38mm, 5x100.

The issue I'm having is finding options for tires. I want 265/40/17 tires because they match the stock diameter, but can only find the following:

- Bridgestone Potenza RE760 @ $157/ea
- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 @ $307/ea
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar @ $323/ea

The Potenza's don't get incredible reviews, and I don't want to spend $1200+ on tires.

It seems clear what I want to do is uncommon, but are there other options I'm missing?
deeefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #4483
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeefour View Post
While I like the look of an 18" wheel for my '11 WRX hatch, I feel uneasy enough about my stock wheels on CT roads with the stock sidewall.

I want a 9.5" wide wheel, but unlike most people here I'm looking at staying at 17" diameter.

I'm looking at WedsSport SA-72R, 17x9.5 +38mm, 5x100.

The issue I'm having is finding options for tires. I want 265/40/17 tires because they match the stock diameter, but can only find the following:

- Bridgestone Potenza RE760 @ $157/ea
- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 @ $307/ea
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar @ $323/ea

The Potenza's don't get incredible reviews, and I don't want to spend $1200+ on tires.

It seems clear what I want to do is uncommon, but are there other options I'm missing?
You're out of luck if you want to keep a stock size diameter. Most people who who do wide 17's go with a 255/40 since that size is common and plentiful, or a 275, but that might barely fit depending on your camber and suspension.
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #4484
imkale
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 274609
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM

Default

2011 WRX
Advan RSDF 18x9.5 +40 (thanks RavSpec!)
Potenza S-04s 265 35r18 (thanks Tire Rack!)
RCE Tarmac 2s (thanks RCE!)
Rolled rear fenders (thanks Group 2!)
Everything fits beautifully
Still working on adjusting ride height.

I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

imkale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #4485
lkft
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469527
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

First time poster here, greetings!

Here's a pic of my 2013 base WRX


I just picked up a nice set of BBS RGRs in the 17x7.5, 5X100, +48 format. Will I have any fitment issues? I plan on using the OEM tire size. A couple of pics of the wheels, they are supposed to be shipped to me this week so I don't have them yet. Thanks in advance!

lkft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #4486
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

No you won't have issues, but you went down to a thinner wheel (7.5" vs 8")

It'll sit in exactly the same spot. If you all you care about is how the wheel looks, then you're good to go.
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #4487
lkft
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469527
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich260z View Post
No you won't have issues, but you went down to a thinner wheel (7.5" vs 8")

It'll sit in exactly the same spot. If you all you care about is how the wheel looks, then you're good to go.
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! I've had some concerns since I've never done this before and there's a bunch of conflicting info out there. For example tirerack has a compatibility checker that says these wheels are not compatible so go figure! Would the thinner wheel size affect my being able to use the OEM tire size? I think the tire size is fine for my needs since I'm just a DD with a very short commute. Any need for spacers? Thanks again!
lkft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #4488
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkft View Post
Thanks for the info, really appreciate it! I've had some concerns since I've never done this before and there's a bunch of conflicting info out there. For example tirerack has a compatibility checker that says these wheels are not compatible so go figure! Would the thinner wheel size affect my being able to use the OEM tire size? I think the tire size is fine for my needs since I'm just a DD with a very short commute. Any need for spacers? Thanks again!

That's stupid that tire rack would say they aren't compatible. As for the width, that will not be an issue, all tires have a specified range, and a 235/45 the lowest recommended width is 7.5. So you're good.

If I were you and wanted a larger track width, I would add spacers, but it is not needed.

If you want a simple remove and replace then don't bother.

If you want it to be "flush" you can get a 20mm or 25mm bolt on spacer.
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #4489
lkft
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469527
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich260z View Post
That's stupid that tire rack would say they aren't compatible. As for the width, that will not be an issue, all tires have a specified range, and a 235/45 the lowest recommended width is 7.5. So you're good.

If I were you and wanted a larger track width, I would add spacers, but it is not needed.

If you want a simple remove and replace then don't bother.

If you want it to be "flush" you can get a 20mm or 25mm bolt on spacer.
Great! Thanks that's all I'm really interested in is a simple RR of the wheel. The stock OEM wheels are far from being flush and it looks fine to me so that's good. I consider the BBS wheels to be a nice upgrade since I like the looks and they're forged so there will be some weight savings as well.
lkft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #4490
SG02WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151814
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pasadena
Vehicle:
2014 WRX SWP

Default Pic Request

Any one have a picture of RCE Blacks on 17x9?

Thanks
SG02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #4491
lkft
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 469527
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

*Update*
Just got the wheels in and took them to the local hole in the wall tire joint and the valve stems for the BBSs are smaller than typical. Anyone know the specific size? Am I going to be able to reuse the existing pressure sensors?
lkft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #4492
redline23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 285799
Join Date: Jun 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: La Crosse, WI
Vehicle:
2012 WRX 5-Door
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG02WRX View Post
Any one have a picture of RCE Blacks on 17x9?

Thanks
That's the setup I'm running. Needed to roll the rear fenders.

Mach v awesome 17x9 with 255/40/17 Direzza Zii



redline23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #4493
SG02WRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151814
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Pasadena
Vehicle:
2014 WRX SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline23 View Post
That's the setup I'm running. Needed to roll the rear fenders.

Mach v awesome 17x9 with 255/40/17 Direzza Zii



Looks Great. You made my decision easier
Thanks for posting.
SG02WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #4494
pdcon37
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447237
Join Date: May 2016
Default

first time poster here guys so be easy. am also new to the whole bigger tire thing also, so I am just curious whats the biggest tire I can Fit under my car? 2008 STI, it has Eibach lowering springs and 20mm spacers all around. the wheels are the stock 18x8.5 bbs. thanks
pdcon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #4495
Kokin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324755
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatchback
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcon37 View Post
first time poster here guys so be easy. am also new to the whole bigger tire thing also, so I am just curious whats the biggest tire I can Fit under my car? 2008 STI, it has Eibach lowering springs and 20mm spacers all around. the wheels are the stock 18x8.5 bbs. thanks
Not much you can do if you plan to stick with those specs (stock 8.5" wheels, 1" drop springs, 20mm spacers put you at +35 offset). Going any wider will probably require you to roll your rear fenders and the larger sizes will mess up your odometer, meaning your speed in the dash will be slightly lower than the actual speed you're going.

If you're really set on going larger, then look for 255/40r18 or 265/40r18. Just be warned that you're going to a larger diameter, meaning it's similar to having taller gears that give you worse acceleration but better top speed.

You would ideally want 275/35r18 as it is the closest diameter to the stock tire, but that would usually need 18x9.5 or 18x10 wheels, preferably with around +40 offset for easier fitment.
Kokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #4496
ahdez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453214
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
SWP

Default

hi i have a 13 wrx hatch and i was wondering if anyone is running 18x8??

i want some nt03s but i can only get 18x8 +35

would this be flush or would i need spacers???
ahdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #4497
ryann.mendoza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 208859
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: SFV, CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
SWP

Default

I have a 2013 wrx hatchback and im running nt03 18x9.5 +40 with 265/35r18 tires

Pic for reference

ryann.mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #4498
DFreshLeish
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 377464
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default

OK, so I tried to search through all of this and find the answer, but I can't seem to so I apologize in advance for the n00b question...

I have a '14 4-door WRX that I want to put 18's on, and eventually lower slightly (maybe an inch, nothing crazy). The way I understand, I should be able to slap on some 18x9.5 wheels on 265/35R18 tires and be pretty much at the stock size. My question comes with lowering afterwards; at this wheel and tire spec, at what change in height does there have to be adjustment in order for the tires to stay flat and not wear irregular? Is it once there is any adjustment at all, or if I lower an inch should I be able to get away with the same caster/camber/ etc?

tl;dr: Can I lower my car and not mess it up myself?
DFreshLeish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #4499
rich260z
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 348236
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch
PBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFreshLeish View Post
OK, so I tried to search through all of this and find the answer, but I can't seem to so I apologize in advance for the n00b question...

I have a '14 4-door WRX that I want to put 18's on, and eventually lower slightly (maybe an inch, nothing crazy). The way I understand, I should be able to slap on some 18x9.5 wheels on 265/35R18 tires and be pretty much at the stock size. My question comes with lowering afterwards; at this wheel and tire spec, at what change in height does there have to be adjustment in order for the tires to stay flat and not wear irregular? Is it once there is any adjustment at all, or if I lower an inch should I be able to get away with the same caster/camber/ etc?

tl;dr: Can I lower my car and not mess it up myself?
You're talking about messing your alignment up from lowering the car? well that can be fixed a number of ways, but the easiest would be get some adjustable top hats for the front, and get some adjustable rear lateral links for the rear. At most you can probably get by with stock alignment specs, but if you want anything more serious then you'll need some aftermarket parts.

With lowering springs this is pretty much not needed, with coilovers and more than 1" of drop then it will be needed.

I'm selling some adjustable rear lateral links for cheap if you're interested.
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845095
rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #4500
ahdez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 453214
Join Date: Aug 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: San Jose CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann.mendoza View Post
I have a 2013 wrx hatchback and im running nt03 18x9.5 +40 with 265/35r18 tires

Pic for reference

ugh i want that setup but i cant find that size in stock anywhere anymore
ahdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needed: Stock Impreza/WRX/Legacy wheels and tires to fit '01 Legacy L acetmi Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 0 06-14-2006 01:43 PM
need somewhere to get wheels and tires asap bubba03wrx Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 22 04-02-2004 10:14 PM
Wider wheels and tires in the rear SilveRexy03 Tire & Wheel 14 11-04-2003 05:49 PM
WEre is a good place to buy wheels and tires MilfordSubaru Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 4 05-25-2002 02:14 PM
Where to buy wheels and tires? wilddave1 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 4 03-21-2002 03:20 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.