Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #26
PlayersLtd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 500366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorium06 View Post
That is far too large of a turbo for autocross and the type of driving you are describing. It will be far too laggy. For that type of driving I would also highly recommend the EFR over the G series. The EFR offers leaps and bounds better transient response while being far less surgy in power delivery. The EFR 7163 is a popular choice for autocross cars as it offers very wide powerbands.
The G35 has a response time similar to the GTX30, from what I have read. In light of that do you stand by that it is too much?

I know from the Garrett lineup a GTX25 would be ideal (or G30 which has comparable spool time) but I'm trying to find the balance between Auto X and the track I will be doing a lot of practice on which I hit 4th gear WOT on with my current set up.

I am seriously considering the G30 but if lag on the G35 is not terrible and if it doesn't kick in too hard, I will take what I expect will be better HP gains through the power band of my 2.35L in exchange for those drawbacks. Also keeping in mind I will be running true antilag so in a sense its a bit of a moot point but I'll only use an aggressive anti lag tune on occasion.

I am also prepared to do this in two stages. Go for a reasonable 500hp set up now with a drivable turbo for a novice, and size up in a year or two once I have more seat time.

I am very open minded though so please keep the opinions coming.

Thanks.
PlayersLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #27
subydude
Scooby Guru

Member#: 80649
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Sparkly

What's your planned maintenance cycle of turbo and exhaust valve replacements for AL?
subydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #28
subydude
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Sparkly

And have you run any autox prior?
Old 08-11-2022, 03:12 PM   #29
Thorium06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254372

That turbo is still too big. Unless the anti lag is a rocket based type, that sounds like a bad combo with a G series turbo.
Thorium06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 PM   #30
SubieEJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 304111

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersLtd View Post
Nice. Can you circle back here and let me know-

what your dyno numbers are
how many lbs you tune for
when it kicks in
how hard it kicks in
how high it pushes into the power band
general observations on lag and daily drivability

Best of luck with your tuning!
Well, the car made 490whp and 460tq with stock feed lines at 24psi on Canadian 94oct. It hit 560 but ran out of fuel so the pull was aborted until I install my surge tank. Stock cars make 250-260hp on this Dyno. It makes power right to 8000rpm with no drop off at all, 360whp at 4500 and just shy of 450ft/lbs. Driving it home (about an hour) the car behaved quite well. It still had enough torque at 3500-4000rpm that it didn't feel like a slug pulling away from stop lights. The power comes on nice and smooth in third and I only got a couple small chances to let it go in 1/2. You need flat asphalt, it's a handful and tries to go every way but straight if the road has crests or a lot of imperfections. If you send me your email I can send you the Dyno graph if you'd like.
SubieEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #31
PlayersLtd
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by subydude View Post
What's your planned maintenance cycle of turbo and exhaust valve replacements for AL?
No idea since I have never run anti lag before and I don't know how often or how aggressively I will run it. But a lot of the valve train is built to WRC spec including Nimonic exhaust valves, titanium retainers, billet high temp half moon seals etc... and I'm considering the G series partially because of the high temp MAR-M turbine.

The headers are also custom built with thicker gauge 316 stainless (although this is unconfirmed, as they are still being developed). Inconel was considered but ruled out for cost and the only advantage over these headers I'm being told is weight. Headers are custom for ALS but also to clear the dry sump system, unequal length.

I guess I'll find out about maintenance requirements as I go but I'm building a pretty stout package so I'm hoping everything is done to make it as reliable as possible and I wont be using it like an idiot and I wont be rallying the car, ie no extreme demand situation. It's actually more of a future proofing solution than anything since I need the custom headers anyway so I'm taking a do it right and do it once attitude.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #32
PlayersLtd
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieEJ View Post
Well, the car made 490whp and 460tq with stock feed lines at 24psi on Canadian 94oct. It hit 560 but ran out of fuel so the pull was aborted until I install my surge tank. Stock cars make 250-260hp on this Dyno. It makes power right to 8000rpm with no drop off at all, 360whp at 4500 and just shy of 450ft/lbs. Driving it home (about an hour) the car behaved quite well. It still had enough torque at 3500-4000rpm that it didn't feel like a slug pulling away from stop lights. The power comes on nice and smooth in third and I only got a couple small chances to let it go in 1/2. You need flat asphalt, it's a handful and tries to go every way but straight if the road has crests or a lot of imperfections. If you send me your email I can send you the Dyno graph if you'd like.
Sounds like you'll hit the 500 + rating you were going for, congrats! Happy to hear it pushes straight through to 8000 and I know what you mean about those Dynos. My current set up ran 295hp and 317 lbs/ft with 1050cc injectors, headers, 18 lbs etc... and I was the leading Subaru for a while in our small city. I'll be on CDN 94 as well as the nearest E85 is 75 kms away.

What you described about second gear is my concern as I will be down that low through a series of corners on my local track which is a tight, twisty and pretty technical circuit with multiple off camber sections and elevation changes. I don't want to be holding on for dear life, and reluctant to go full spool. Thats the sizing issue I'm trying to avoid but it's complicated by the fact that I'll be running at other tracks from time to time and my comfort will be higher with more and more seat time.

Would love to see your dyno sheets and any data logs (if you do any) and hear more about how you feel about the car after you've driven it more, especially once you really start pushing it on the back roads. DM sent.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #33
subydude
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2000 2.5 Auto-X RSTi
Sparkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersLtd View Post
No idea since I have never run anti lag before and I don't know how often or how aggressively I will run it. But a lot of the valve train is built to WRC spec including Nimonic exhaust valves, titanium retainers, billet high temp half moon seals etc... and I'm considering the G series partially because of the high temp MAR-M turbine.

The headers are also custom built with thicker gauge 316 stainless (although this is unconfirmed, as they are still being developed). Inconel was considered but ruled out for cost and the only advantage over these headers I'm being told is weight. Headers are custom for ALS but also to clear the dry sump system, unequal length.

I guess I'll find out about maintenance requirements as I go but I'm building a pretty stout package so I'm hoping everything is done to make it as reliable as possible and I wont be using it like an idiot and I wont be rallying the car, ie no extreme demand situation. It's actually more of a future proofing solution than anything since I need the custom headers anyway so I'm taking a do it right and do it once attitude.
Considering the maintenance schedule had turbo replacement before 1,000 miles, and lots of other large part replacements as well in actual WRC cars along with the fact I actually have used AL before in autox, I can tell you you don't want to run it. The fact you don't know anything about it yet also says "please don't run it".

Even if you were using a well setup rocket system it's very hard to get right.

Your turbo choice is too big for autox by about 3-4 sizes, and almost too big for road course. And it's the wrong brand since the new garrett G series has been **** in comparison to the EFR setup from BW. If your goal is numbers only, then the turbo size is right, but from experience in motorsports you do not want anything bigger than an EFR 7163 in autox, and really not bigger than an 8474 in track. Bigger than those two sizes will cause lots and LOTS of other issues with cooling/etc.