Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122994
Default B9 line-in step by step (with photos)

As promised, here is a step by step guide on how to install a line-in cable to a B9 (without the RSE option installed).

Step 1: prepare the audio cable, in my case I used an RCA-3.5mm cable and cut the RCA jacks off. I twisted the grounds from both sides together.

Naturally you'll need 3 wires, a ground, a left and a right. You can start by stiffening up the wires by soldering some thicker wire to them.

Step 2: Pull the trim off the passenger side so you can acccess the screws for the radio/climate panel

You start on the right side and either pull (quite) hard on it, or by inserting a plastic gap opener into the side and pulling it off.

With the trim removed you'll see the first screw.

Step 4:

Pull the decorative cover off the gear changer, either by hand, or with a plastic wedge

Step 5: Pull the whole gear cover off:

You'll now see 2 more screws for the radio panel.

Step 6:

Pull the small piece of trim off to the right of the wheel, you'll need a wedge again (if you don't have a wedge try a flat screwdriver with some duct tape over the blade to prevent scratching your car

You will now see all 4 screws:

Step 7:

Disconnect the 2 connectors that lead to the radio/climate panel

Step 8:

Remove the 4 screws holding the radio in place:

scot3818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

With the radio out, you'll see the plug closest to you (top) (I26):

Step 9:

Prep your wires. In my case I soldered some stiffer wire to them and bent it into a hook, these stay in the connector very nicely:

These are the pins we'll use: Red (left), White (right) and Grey (ground). The wires go into the bottom and are in the following order: LEFT, RIGHT, SKIP ONE, GROUND.

Step 10:

Push the wires into the connector, push nice and hard as they'll have to go in almost an inch.

Another shot so you know exactly what you are doing.

From here you are on your own. Push the cable down the right (or left) side. In my case I pulled the drivers foot well off and pulled the cable down, and hid it pulling it to the center console.

You DO need to make sure that the device you hook it up to is GROUNDED. If the device (like an iPod) is not grounded then it will NOT switch. So if you use an iPod then make sure it's hooked up to a car charger. If you use XM or Siruis make sure it is powered and grounded.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
kuoh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127558

You could just ground it permanently at the radio side and let the RSE be enabled at all times. This may also help to minimize ground loop issues.

KuoH
kuoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
kmartin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 65346
Vehicle:
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
Ruby Red

Default Re: B9 line-in step by step

I am assuming this will work in an '06 as well as an '07? If so, BLESS YOU for figuring this out. Seems so simple after all so my of us have been through.

-Karen in AZ-
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Tup
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129133

Scott:

Could you tell us how you hooked up a rear video camera to your nav screen. This is something I'd really like to do. Also, did you set it up so that it comes on as soon as you switch to reverse?
Tup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
o0lissa0o
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140049
Vehicle:
2006 B9 Tribeca
Silver

Thank you SO much for this Scot....this is such a huge help. I'm installing the same Harmon Kardon Drive and Play system (let me rephrase, I'm having a friend do it for me) and this will be a huge help to him i'm sure. Does it work as well as I'm hoping its going to? Where did you mount the screen and click wheel?
o0lissa0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
Bugg77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140260
Vehicle:
2006 5-pass Tribeca
Silver

Scot, can you tell me if there is a way to get power from the factory head unit? I'm getting ready to build a charger/line-out cable and I just need to figure out the power issue. Of course, my assumption is that I've got +12VDC coming off the head unit.
Bugg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post
Scot, can you tell me if there is a way to get power from the factory head unit? I'm getting ready to build a charger/line-out cable and I just need to figure out the power issue. Of course, my assumption is that I've got +12VDC coming off the head unit.
On connector i85 (the largest of all connectors, the one under the connector you use for the line in) has power on pins 6 and 10. 6 is the constant and 10 is the switched (accessory) line. You'll find ground on 11. Start counting from the top, it's 123 empty empty 456 then 789 10 11 12 13 14 on the bottom.

Simply tap off those and you'll be good. Most devices have 3 wires, yellow, red and black; the yellow will be the switched (accessory), the red is constant and the black is ground.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0lissa0o View Post
Thank you SO much for this Scot....this is such a huge help. I'm installing the same Harmon Kardon Drive and Play system (let me rephrase, I'm having a friend do it for me) and this will be a huge help to him i'm sure. Does it work as well as I'm hoping its going to? Where did you mount the screen and click wheel?
It works as good as it can get; I can select playlists and pick songs on the device. At just $100 it's an awesome deal. I mounted the display next to the pillar on the drivers side, and the control under it. It doesn't look too much out of place, and it's easy to hide all the cables.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
Bugg77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140260
Vehicle:
2006 5-pass Tribeca
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot3818 View Post
On connector i85 (the largest of all connectors, the one under the connector you use for the line in) has power on pins 6 and 10. 6 is the constant and 10 is the switched (accessory) line. You'll find ground on 11. Start counting from the top, it's 123 empty empty 456 then 789 10 11 12 13 14 on the bottom.

Simply tap off those and you'll be good. Most devices have 3 wires, yellow, red and black; the yellow will be the switched (accessory), the red is constant and the black is ground.
Thanks Scot. I'm building a powered ipod cradle based off the proclips mounting plate for the Tribeca. It ought to be a very clean installation when it's all done. I'll post pics.
Bugg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post
Thanks Scot. I'm building a powered ipod cradle based off the proclips mounting plate for the Tribeca. It ought to be a very clean installation when it's all done. I'll post pics.
Awesome. I'm a big proclips fan!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
juice
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1424
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1998 Forester
Acadia Green Metallic

Good job and kudos for sharing and documenting this. I know how much extra work that is.
juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
helmet11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77609
Vehicle:
2005 legacy GT
Black

guys, I tried this method and it worked. But, I get a hiss when hooked up to the cig lighter plug. I've grounded everthing and still hiss. I'll play my MP3 with its own power supply and its crystal clear. My portable DVD player with its own power battery pak its clear, once hooked up to cig lighter...hiss. Please help. Ive grouned it to radio chassis. Also tried pulling 12v power and ground from radio stuff and still hisss. This is reallying Hissing me off. ha thanks Ernie
helmet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet11 View Post
guys, I tried this method and it worked. But, I get a hiss when hooked up to the cig lighter plug. I've grounded everthing and still hiss. I'll play my MP3 with its own power supply and its crystal clear. My portable DVD player with its own power battery pak its clear, once hooked up to cig lighter...hiss. Please help. Ive grouned it to radio chassis. Also tried pulling 12v power and ground from radio stuff and still hisss. This is reallying Hissing me off. ha thanks Ernie
Go to Walmart or a car audio store and get yourself a ground loop isolator. Costs around $12.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
kuoh
Scooby Newbie

Honestly, there shouldn't be any problems if the right wires are grounded correctly. An isolator just masks the problem and has been known to muddle the lows in my experience, although it might not be noticeable enough to some.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot3818 View Post
Go to Walmart or a car audio store and get yourself a ground loop isolator.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
LastResort
Scooby Guru

Member#: 99289

The problem isn't grounds properly connected, it's the tDC-DC converter having a slightly different voltage on the ground than what is used as a reference in the power supply . Some power supplies are better than others. A decent ground loop isolator should have a linear response through the entire audible range. I've had good luck with the PAC units.
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 AM   #17
kuoh
Scooby Newbie

Again, masking the problem since the DC-DC converter is the culprit. In this case though, I wouldn't necessarily suspect the converter since he used 2 different devices. Other owner/experimenters in the original thread have been having good results after reworking the grounds. Just something else to consider before spending more money and adding more devices.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResort View Post
The problem isn't grounds properly connected, it's the tDC-DC converter having a slightly different voltage on the ground than what is used as a reference in the power supply.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #18
LastResort
Scooby Guru

Member#: 99289

Considering the DC-DC converter is device dependant much of the time, It's not always easy to do. All iPods exhibit this problem using the JazzyMT kit on the OEM stereo. And it's not "masking the problem" it's electrically isolating the output using a 1:1 transformer(in the case of the PAC unit, it's 1.1:1 to overcome losses).
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #19
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

I've installed loads of devices like this, and there are always cases where no amount of grounding will solve it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
pinchazo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 152572
Default How do you get the trim back on?

I am thinking about doing this on my '06 tribeca, but I don't want to run ANY risk of messing up the trim. Is it difficult to get it back on so it looks just as before?

Thanks!
pinchazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #21
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchazo View Post
I am thinking about doing this on my '06 tribeca, but I don't want to run ANY risk of messing up the trim. Is it difficult to get it back on so it looks just as before?

Thanks!
Nah, it just all clicks in place.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #22
djfromgr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 94950
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru Impreza
Blue Black Mica

This is a stupid question but I'm assuming I would then use an adapter to go from the RCA connectors to the headphone output on the iPod... Is that correct?
djfromgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #23
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfromgr View Post
This is a stupid question but I'm assuming I would then use an adapter to go from the RCA connectors to the headphone output on the iPod... Is that correct?
Correct.

Or better yet; get a nice iPod interface like the (cheap) Harman Kardon Drive+Play.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #24
arik
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194759

Hello everyone....Thanks for these excellent tips. Does anyone know where can I get a real female connector that I connect to the radio....Just like to make a good connection instead of shoving the wires right into radio connector?
arik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
hoping4B9
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220515

Sorry for my first post being in a old post.
I've done some searching and can't find my answer though.
I'm looking at buying a 06 B9, it's a base model with a single disc cd player. Is this mod do able or does this only work on the 6 disc?

Thanks
hoping4B9 is offline   Reply With Quote