Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 AM   #1
knightangle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 492769
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Default EJ205 w/ AVCS swap done, still some questions

NOT SURE WHERE TO POST! so go easy on me!

So managed to do a full swap from USDM to JDM at home. Everything went smoothly. Old engine out easy (for sale if you need it) and the new one I’m no problem, slight hose differences, slightly different harness, got IATuning AVCs add on kit. All is good!

When I did the swap I refused my flywheel, but bought a brand new OE plus clutch, rhino I think, something like that.

It is my understanding there is quite a difference in power between AVCS and NON AVCS engines.

Is the OEM clutch not rated for the additional power produced by the AVCS? When I romp on it at 3k+ rpms it feels as if the clutch is slipping and grabbing repeatedly? If I’m lighter on the throttle I can get it up to redline no problem, so to me that rules out an issue with the Powertrain (I could be wrong)

NOTE: like the immature degen that I am, did a “high rev” launch with the new clutch before it was broken in. It was at 4K, I didn’t dump it but I left off the clutch pretty quick. My revs shot up, I shifted, they shot up again (had hardly moved from the stop light) when I pulled away you could see a cloud of smoke behind me and smell clutch.

Anyways thanks for reading. Lmk what you think guys and gales!!!!

Last edited by knightangle; 03-26-2019 at 04:18 PM.
knightangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
RedTeddy77
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496013

So you might just be the guy I need to reach out to since it appears you did the AVCS swap. So my kid has an amazing beautiful 05 Impreza honestly when he asked me to pick it up I expected a pile of rust but absolutely none! That car however has a blown motor like hole in the block. So I just hauled in this 06 Impreza and the girl said keep the car for the tow bill. I mean its smashed and rusted out however her father was a subby mechanic and she just happened to have all the paperwork and the motor has about 15k on a complete fresh rebuild. Here is my dilemma, the 06 has AVCS the 05 does not. That is the only differed minus exhaust and stuff which is easy peasy. Can I just use the ECM from the wrecked car and then it would be plug n play? I have yet to do a one to one on the wiring plus by the intake but figured I would ask....I hate wiring stuff up but to me it seems like since I have a donor car this shouldn't be a bad swap.

Thanks!! So how is your conversion going? Did you put a heavier clutch in?
RedTeddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote