Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-29-2022, 03:38 PM   #76
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Member#: 107618
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Did some maintenance and odds and ends during Father's Day.

Replaced front and rear windshield wipers and changed the cabin air filter.

So I reaffirmed that the gold Hella horn covers are a bit much with the black and gold JDM Forester grille emblem. I ordered a set of black ones for some more subtleness and swapped them on.

As you can see the headlights are pretty ugly. I purchased this 3M headlight restoration kit off Amazon. I wanted to use it at the same time I swapped out the horn covers so the bumper cover won't be in the way.

The kit comes with a drill bit tool and 3 grades of sanding discs. I did the driver-side first and I only did one pass per disc. I should've done two and I did do that with the passenger-side.

This is after using the first of 3 500-grit sanding discs.

I did a wipe-down after every two passes.

Got in the groove and didn't take any pictures after using any of the 2 800-grit sanding discs. Here's after 1 of 4 wet passes with the 3000-grit refining disc.

REX_WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2022, 03:39 PM   #77
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

I was a bit nervous at this point as it still looked foggy after 2X more passes than the driver-side. I trusted the process however and wiped it all dry and removed the masking tape. I recommend having a helping hand to lift the headlights so you can slip at least 2 layers of masking tape between the headlight and fender/any painted surface. So after wiping the headlights with the clear coat wet wipes, the headlights looked incredible. These pictures really do not do it justice.

I was really impressed with the 3M kit and it was incredibly cheap for what you get as the finished product. It looks so good my wife thought I bought new headlights.

Now back to the horns. I didn't like how the hidden alarm horn messed with the "purity" of the Sharptones. So I ended up buying another set of Sharptones and see whether the Low or High tone sounded better with the main pair. I ended up deciding on the Low tone one.

I had some random harness laying around from when I bought a replacement motor for my HVAC unit. It had wires with covered spade connectors so that was a plus. I cut about a foot off one of the wires and just wrapped the other end around the bolt that secures the alarm horn bracket to the chassis. I used a bit of red locktite on the welded nut. Yeah, this step was a bit lazy but I didn't have any circular terminal ends to solder to the wire.

And since the oem harness was a plug & spade connection, I just zip-tied this to the horn.

Last edited by REX_WGN; 06-29-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #78
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

I think it all came together really good. I like the freshened up look with the cleaned headlights along with the subtle horn covers as well as moving the license plate off to the side with a Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit. There isn't a kit designed for the SH but this guy here led the way and found out the BRZ kit is the best fitting one. I found a used kit off of FB Marketplace last winter and finally found the perfect time to install it. Took me a bit to mock it all up to ensure the top and bottom edges don't rub against the bumper as well as making sure the passenger-side edge doesn't interfere with the fog light projection. I put a straight edge against the shape of the fog light housing and moved the license plate about half an inch off of it.

I also wanted to throw on the Racecomp Rear Swaybar but I ran out of time. I plan on doing that next and other odds and ends.

Eventually, I'll have to just bite the bullet and start working the entire rear suspension. I already found a new oem set of rear hubs/wheel bearings for a great price off of FB Marketplace and also received the Hardrace bushings finally. It's really all just a matter of planning it out and doing it. I'm thinking some time in August.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #79
timpala11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 512891
Vehicle:
2010 STi/21 Passport
RIP 19 WRX & 16 FXT

Man you really killed it with the 3M kit! I didn't do a great job when I did mine but it still looked so much better than it did before. I had custom headlights on order so I just needed them to get me through a few weeks after buying the car. Now that they're off maybe I'll give it another go, your results are inspiring!
timpala11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:09 PM   #80
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Thanks a lot. It was a tedious task but the end result was really satisfying. If you do it again, be patient with the sanding, wipe it often and don't be afraid to make multiple passes with each disc. It'll look a lot better in the end.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #81
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454659
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Definitely looks less loud with the black horn covers. Nice and subtle. Looking great man!
DrTrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #82
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Thank you. I'm glad I decided to switch it up.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #83
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Did a few things the last couple of weeks. Got a new set of keys which I am pretty excited about. Also cleaned up the rear hatch making it super clean (look wise, not the dirt lol) and also finally installed the RaceComp Engineering rear swaybar.

So a year or two ago, I left my keyfob for my wife's Rogue in my pants pocket and it went to heaven after a a cycle in the washer. We've been dealing with the remaining one all this time but it got to the point where I decided to finally get another one. At the same time, I thought of getting another set for my Forester.

A few years back, I looked into getting a Subaru oem flip key fob/remote from the newer models (I think Legacy?) for my 06 WRX. Idea went away when the guy on NASIOC no longer offered it plus my WRX went down for the count. Idea resurfaced when I first bought Florence but some thread over on subaruforester.org indicated it never worked for the 2009 model. Some immobilizer issue. Idea went away again.

I found this local mobile locksmith and straight up asked him if he could make a switchblade/ flip key fob for my Forester and he said yes.

I decided to save the $30 fee for him to come to my house as he was only 2 miles and a 5 minute drive away. First took my wife's car and then I went back with Florence to get this flip key. I was super happy with it as it was a lot less clunky, fit much better in my pockets and also super clean.

Only thing I didn't like about it was the logo on the remote since it's aftermarket.

And since now I know about Etsy from the Hella horn covers, I went on there to see if I could find a Subaru key fob replacement logos and I sure did find some Subaru ones! (Link for anyone interested)

Exact same size and it also comes with a plastic protective layer that can be removed.

Here's some pictures after installing the replacement fob emblem:

I'm 95% happy with placing the Subaru emblem in this orientation. I have an extra in case I change my mind in the future.

Last edited by REX_WGN; 07-11-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #84
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

So the hatch was a semi-eyesore for me. The left had remnants of decal adhesive while the right had an 'STI' decal that partially fell off. When I first purchased the car, I ripped off the "Prestige" dealer emblem as well as the previous owner's nasty Coast Guard decal .

I bought a rubber eraser wheel drill bit after watching
and used it to clean up the remaining emblem adhesive.

Then I also cleaned up the barely visible adhesive on the rear glass from the Coast Guard decal.

I followed that with removing what's left of the STI emblem. It was quite tedious with an angled pick but using a heat gun made it much easier. Then I used the eraser wheel again to clean up the adhesive.

I've always wanted to replace the Subaru emblem on the hatch. The chrome of the stars are starting to fall apart. In one of the FB groups, a lot of people were recommending Orsini Vinyl & Designs. So I decided to buy emblem overlays matching in design for the steering wheel emblem. My kids, especially my son, love dinosaurs. Since he named the car Florence, I decided to get the Subaru Stars with T-Rex design. I still wanted to keep it subtle so I picked silver over carbon fiber background.

I bought a bunch of other decals just trying to make the most of shipping.

So the rear hatch looks much better now - a very clean look.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it previously but I came up with the idea of a tow hitch cover with the JDM Forester logo like the front. I had it made by a 3D printer guy I met on FB.

Last edited by REX_WGN; 07-11-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #85
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Lastly, I installed the RaceComp Engineering rear swaybar yesterday to match my front one (Cobb brand, RCE licensed).

It's 9mm thicker in diameter but equivalent to a difference of 7mm. This is because RCE designed their swaybars to be hollow so their functional thickness is ~23mm. Still, a 7mm step up is quite substantial. Even with my WRX wagon, I only stepped up 5mm from the oem 17mm.

Kind of embarassing how long it took for installation. It was quite the struggle to get it in place with the rear on ramps. After a few tries, I decided to partially drop my SPT axleback in order to install it eventhough I was able to remove the stock swaybar without dropping the axleback. I realize now that if I jacked up the rear a little bit, the rear control arms would've dropped enough so the swaybar arms would clear and position in place. Live and learn.

I cleaned up the bushings and used Energy Suspension silicone-based grease to lube them up. It's the only grease I use now for all poly bushings in movement points.

I complemented the swaybar with a pair of Rallitek rear endlinks. The coating seems different compared to the Rallitek fronts. I suspect the fronts are just rebranded from Whiteline or some other make. The fronts had a lot of surface rust after just one winter which is in line with my experience of WL products.

I noticed that the stops at the end of the studs that secures to the swaybar arms were of a very small diameter. And while the provided nut was flanged, it was also serrated. Not a fan of neither as I want to spread the clamping force better than this as well as not tear into the swaybar paint. I found some thick washers and used one on each side of the swaybar arm.

I started taking the endlinks apart to prep them for harsh winters. I anti-seized all of the studs and used the Rallitek-included grease for installing the poly bushings into the lower mount as well as the crush tubes.

Tons of surface rust as you can see. I'll address it all when I modify the rear suspension.

Notice that the swaybar arms are angled upward which is far from the optimal parallel-to-ground position. The endlinks are already adjusted for shortest height too. This is due to the drop from Forester to STI suspension. This will be fixed some when I add 1" lift tophat spacers during the rear suspension mod.

Test drive went well. Drove to the county park in my town and no clunks on the way there. Spotted a really clean SG with a boat trailer hooked up to it. Couldn't resist so I snapped a few pictures. I waited after doing some testing in the lot to try to meet the owner but it was getting late.

Took some hard turns at slow speeds (15-20mph) in the parking lot and the difference was incredible. The roll was minimized a lot. If I had to quantify it, I would say about three-fold. It's such an easy mod with great handling value in return. I can't wait to get it on the highway and see if it gets rid of the squirrellyness I always experience. I bet it would; I think it's current handling trait is due to the difference in swaybar size front and rear. I'll take it easy as it's a big 7mm jump in size and go from there.

I can't believe I waited so long to install this setup even with the same experience I had over a decade ago with my WRX. I wanted to restore the entire rear suspension at once which is why I have not installed this all this time since I bought it March of 2021. I couldn't stand the roll and highway handling anymore so this was a spur of the moment installation. This should be the first mod any SH owner does - hands down.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #86
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Folks have pushed me to open an instagram account and I've been resisting for the past year. Well I've finally succumbed to the peer pressure. lol.

@florencedestinedfxt

Just like with this thread, I'll post pictures from the beginning and it'll slowly catch up to the forum posts.

I'll still post in the forums as I think it's helpful for me to keep track of the details as well as my plans for the build. It'll also be a good building block if I ever decide to just move the forum build over to my own google blog website.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #87
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Folks have pushed me to open an instagram account and I've been resisting for the past year. Well I've finally succumbed to the peer pressure. lol.

@florencedestinedfxt

Just like with this thread, I'll post pictures from the beginning and it'll slowly catch up to the forum posts.

I'll still post in the forums as I think it's helpful for me to keep track of the details as well as my plans for the build. It'll also be a good building block if I ever decide to just move the forum build over to my own google blog website.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #88
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Just followed your IG!
Old 07-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #89
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

right back at cha!
Old 07-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #90
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Few things to update on.

Finally able to get the Forester on the highway to test out the rear swaybar addition. I like it but I also don't like it. The swaybar makes a big difference in lane changes where the rear doesn't feel like it's wobbling side to side. The car feels more planted during these maneuvers. However, at the limit of the swaybar working, say during a long turn on a highway, it starts to feel a little unsettling eventhough the car feels neutral laterally. This must be because of the larger imbalance with spring rates (+30lbf/in) and damper valving between front and rear (13 STI front & 09-10 STI rear) as well as a big "torsion" spring trying to work in conjunction with a weak rear damper spring.

Have thought about the rear suspension refresh the last few days and, now, with my latest experience with the bigger RCE rear swaybar, I think it's best I save the full rear suspension refresh for next summer and just quickly throw on the rear 13 STI take-offs with 1" tophat spacers. I really want to see how this will make the car feel since these shocks must be valved differently with a 297 lbf/in spring rate compared to 194 with what I currently have.

Another haul at Home Depot: 15 boxes of vinyl plank flooring with each box weighing about 33 lbs. Another reason why I need to install the rear matching STI take-offs with tophat spacers.

Have an exterior project in mind: add exhaust shrouds to the rear bumper.

I don't like how the rear bumper was trimmed for the SPT exhaust. I thought about buying some aftermarket exhaust shrouds but they are kind of pricey and I don't even know if they will fit. I put up a WTB ad on FB for beat-up WRX/STI rear bumpers but didn't get any real hits. I guess FB has it's unique algorithms working effectively since I saw an ad for a 15+ STI rear bumper for a cheap quick sale. The seller had two so I bought both for $110 and it was only 4 towns over as well as along the way to my local Home Depot to pick up the flooring. SCORE!

I'm going to use one and do a hasty mod. Trim enough of it and just add it with a plastic rivet tool. If I like the way it looks, I may eventually use the second and actually form it into the rear bumper with some bodywork. Never done it before but I'm willing to try it out.

Also fully detailed the car. Decided to give a guy in my town a try since a few folks couldn't speak highly enough of his work. Here's a shot at the local Costco parking lot:

Old 08-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #91
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

No progress on the build; been busy enjoying the summer. I'm thinking swapping in the rear 2013 STI take-offs will be next.

Here's a shot of Florence picking up a free table from my community's FB gifting group.

Old 08-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #92
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

No progress on the build; been busy enjoying the summer. I'm thinking swapping in the rear 2013 STI take-offs will be next.

Here's a shot of Florence picking up a free table from my community's FB gifting group.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #93
ether947
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 297799
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
EJ207 version 8

How has the 3M headlight kit been holding up? I was thinking about going with 2K clear coat until I saw your results. It's more or less the same process as yours except you use a 2-stage clear.

I just followed you on the Gram.
ether947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #94
ether947
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 297799
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
EJ207 version 8

double post....
ether947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:17 PM   #95
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ether947 View Post
How has the 3M headlight kit been holding up? I was thinking about going with 2K clear coat until I saw your results. It's more or less the same process as yours except you use a 2-stage clear.

I just followed you on the Gram.
I haven't driven it too much and it has not been that long so I'd like I can't really provide feedback until maybe next year. I'm just surprised at the like-new condition after finishing. It really is astounding how clear it is and for how little money and effort it took. Not sure what the 2K clear coat system is but I'll keep that in mind for my other cars.

I followed you right back! Taking my time catching up over there as I'm trying to develop a following and maybe even monetize. I don't even know how all of that works but I'm curious if I even can make some money. We'll see.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #96
DrTrae
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black Pearl

Any progress on the STi bumper exhaust shroud project? I'm excited to see what you do with that.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #97
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

No progress but it's on the list. I keep going back and forth between throwing on the rear shocks or the bumper project next.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #98
xXJukkaXx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361559
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Sport-Tech
CWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_WGN View Post
No progress but it's on the list. I keep going back and forth between throwing on the rear shocks or the bumper project next.
I vote bumper project. I just picked up a 2011 FXT for my wife and I'm throwing my OEM exhaust off my 2018 WRX onto it and have been struggling with the idea of trimming the bumper or running the extended hangers.

Love the car btw, gives me lots of bad ideas that my wife will hate me for..lol
xXJukkaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #99
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

Hah, thanks for the encouragement. I get what you're saying. if you can at least mount it up and drive around to see if you (or your wife lol) like the sound first. If so, just go ahead and trim as little as you can. I think that looks better than leaving single exhaust shrouds over dual-tips on each side.

One of the previous owners must've put on a different exhaust prior to this SPT one. The trimmed portion is not in alignment with the quad-tip. That bugs me a lot and why I decided to add this project.

Thanks for the vote of approval. So many things I want to do yet so little time.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #100
REX_WGN
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
06 GG WRX / 09 FXT
@florencedestinedfxt

double-posts are annoying...

Last edited by REX_WGN; 08-18-2022 at 10:47 PM.