Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Member#: 39936
Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257
Hydra+HMist+PPG+35R=DEATH

Default Looking to build a cheap, clean, and effective battery in trunk setup.

I have purchased an Optima Yellow Top Battery. There is no real point in having it sit in the engine bay. The color is horrid, plus its one less thing to look at (am going for a clean build).

I, in no way shape or form, plan to follow NHRA rules in regards to the whole rediculous setup one MUST have, in order to pass tech inspection for remote battery. Kill switch (yey hole drilled in my car's body or taillight), battery box (dry cell battery) alternator kill solenoid...etc... total crap IMO for my setup. Flame me all you want, but I'm thinking about the following...

The fake battery will most likely be an empty case/shell of a bad and discarded battery. I was thinking about just epoxying the lead posts in place from the inside of the battery.

Let me know what you think about my wire choices, and the use of a fusible link.

Thanks
Alex
White 2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitec

although some of the required items are over the top and for NHRA use, others are there to keep you alive. It specifies batteries must be in a sealed box and must be vented outside. even sealed batteries can and will vent hydrogen.

put it this way, static spark from the nylon carpet in your trunk + built up hydrogen = smoking crater where suby used to be.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

the concentration of hydrogen needed to ignite, is A LOT higher than you think.

There were 2 tall bottles of hydrogen outside the hydrogen fuel cell lab at my school. The room was about 1k sqft w/ a 20 foot ceiling. It was calculated that even if both bottles were released in the room, the concentration wouldn't be enough to ignite even with open flame.

And think about it, vented box? wheres it going to vent to? I can just have a little airflow in the trunk and achieve the same.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Paranoid Fabrications
Former Vendor

Member#: 140712
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
White

yea, make sure you get a battery box and vent it out side. also, i think 4ga is a little small. i would go with at least 2ga wire.

Shane
Paranoid Fabrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
rkramer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 118209
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by White 2.5rs View Post
the concentration of hydrogen needed to ignite, is A LOT higher than you think.

There were 2 tall bottles of hydrogen outside the hydrogen fuel cell lab at my school. The room was about 1k sqft w/ a 20 foot ceiling. It was calculated that even if both bottles were released in the room, the concentration wouldn't be enough to ignite even with open flame.

And think about it, vented box? wheres it going to vent to? I can just have a little airflow in the trunk and achieve the same.
I've manufactured and ignited hydrogen, fun stuff! It is in the specs it is supposed to vent OUTSIDE. Basically a halfway decent size hose that vents externally.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

fine, a CHEAP, cheap box cant be too much $
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Handsdown
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29355
Chapter/Region: NWIC

you have no reason to run a dummy box unless you're trying to trick NHRA inspection. in which case if you do and you are competitive, someone will challenge you and you'll be on your ass because you broke the rules.

either follow the rules or don't follow the rules but some of these things are simple safety measures and should be followed.
Handsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
White 2.5rs
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
99RS TWE&SCAT EJ257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsdown View Post
you have no reason to run a dummy box unless you're trying to trick NHRA inspection. in which case if you do and you are competitive, someone will challenge you and you'll be on your ass because you broke the rules.

either follow the rules or don't follow the rules but some of these things are simple safety measures and should be followed.

yes im trying to trick them

im not competitive, i just run for the hell of it at test n tunes.