Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 6, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2022, 01:41 AM   #1
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default 09 STi - Rebuilt Factory Engine vs IAG Shortblock

Hey all. I have a one family 09 STi with 78k thatís going to be sold soon. The motor went recently and she needs a new one. Iím wanting to go with the route that will give me the greatest ROI when I go to sell it.

I had it towed to a recommended repair shop in Nashville and they are quoting me $10k for a rebuilt factory motor or $7k for a motor with 110k miles - neither situations are ideal. Iím going to call around to a couple of other shops, but the way I see it, these are my options:

1) Wait and find a lower mileage donor motor

2) Rebuild the current motor

3) Buy an IAG short block

Iím not looking to do anything else to the car besides get a good motor in it that will appeal to the most buyers. The IAG route is the way Iím leaning due to the price and the warranty. The only downside is if the heads sustained any damage, the IAG route gets more expensive. Thoughts?

Old engine can be heard here: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...3#post46716273
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

so it's 13 years old with 78k on the body and you are considering plunking around 10k into it for ROI???????
What do you think it's worth even if the motor was fine?

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #3
whozatguy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 179775
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Huntersville, NC
Vehicle:
03 WRX/15 FXT
14 BRZ/ 92 SVX

Default

Have you considered selling as is? It won't sell for as much, but you also won't have to dump $10k into it that you may not get back.
whozatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
so it's 13 years old with 78k on the body and you are considering plunking around 10k into it for ROI???????
What do you think it's worth even if the motor was fine?

Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
09 hatches have been going for 25-30 and this one is very clean. Even if I get $20k, which is more likely, I won't get anything for it as a roller. So it makes sense to fix it correctly for an extra $3k vs an old motor with 110k on the clock.

Last edited by SecularSti; 08-05-2022 at 10:19 AM.
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
rtv900
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecularSti View Post
09 hatches have been going for 25-30 and this one is very clean
ummm, ok, if they actually SELL for 25-30 that's one thing.
seeing a bunch of ridiculously priced listings for 25-30 is a totally different thing.

Plus, describing a car as very clean that also happens to have a ruined engine at 78k miles doesn't hold much water.
To any rational buyers that means one of two things, or both.
It was beat to hell
It was grossly ill maintained

Those are the ONLY two ways to ruin a motor at 78k miles.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
benflynn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 515308
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default

Get it away from that shop. What blew in the engine?
benflynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #7
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
ummm, ok, if they actually SELL for 25-30 that's one thing.
seeing a bunch of ridiculously priced listings for 25-30 is a totally different thing.

Plus, describing a car as very clean that also happens to have a ruined engine at 78k miles doesn't hold much water.
To any rational buyers that means one of two things, or both.
It was beat to hell
It was grossly ill maintained

Those are the ONLY two ways to ruin a motor at 78k miles.

They do - I follow the market closely (and thatís fine if you donít agree, Iím not here to debate that) Iíd like to focus on options and see if anyone has any other recommendations than the ones Iíve listed.

Last edited by SecularSti; 08-05-2022 at 01:09 PM.
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
Get it away from that shop. What blew in the engine?
We're not sure, the engine hasn't been torn down, but likely low oil. The engine was only driven home after the sound in the link occurred and has always burned about half a quart between changes. I checked the oil when I got home and it was lower than expected.

I agree, the shop does not sound like the best option. I'll likely go with an IAG block.

Last edited by SecularSti; 08-05-2022 at 01:01 PM.
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #9
benflynn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 515308
Join Date: Jun 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecularSti View Post
We're not sure, the engine hasn't been torn down, but likely low oil. The engine was only driven home after the sound in the link occurred and has always burned about half a quart between changes. I checked the oil when I got home and it was lower than expected.

I agree, the shop does not sound like the best option. I'll likely go with an IAG block.
If your just going to sell it get a 1500$ oem short block, 300$ oem gasket/seal set, timing kit and normal head service.
benflynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #10
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benflynn View Post
If your just going to sell it get a 1500$ oem short block, 300$ oem gasket/seal set, timing kit and normal head service.
Good call Ben, this is the route Iíll go! I hadnít been able to find a decently priced short block but I found one for $2300. Where did you see one for $1500?
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #11
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Oem, $1,500
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
SecularSti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 474473
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Oem, $1,500
You sell them for $1500? I canít find them for less than $2200
SecularSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.