Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #51
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Member#: 421858
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

Get the darkest that your state allows. If they don't have a limit, stay 15% or higher. Limo tint (5%) looks mega trashy unless you're driving a maybach.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #52
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459160
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by idic5 View Post
anyone have any ideas to correct these issues post purchase.

1) prem trim has no CD player ; Any way to connect a CD player to the sound system in case he has a book on CD or whatever else he might seek to listen to - whether subaru or 3rd party after purchase?

2) the subie cloth seats were kind of uncomfortable - compared to the competing '17 Civic car . Any ideas or links to sites for leather or some other comfortable custom reupholstery , at least in the driver seat - whether w/ subaru or 3rd party?

My dealer is working with an authorized third party to do custom leather interior for my seats and door panels.
angglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #53
ptrout
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 68487
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
05 LGT
blue

So picked up the 17 sport today. Most things working, eyesight doesn't like the way i drive, pretty much quit one me with warning lights during a drive through twisting roads.

Also, anyone know how the LED DRL's work. I have not seem them turn on,
Ignition on nothing, put it in drive nothing, put it in park nothing, is there a button to turn them on ?

thanks
ptrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #54
supertoast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 425248
Vehicle:
2015 Impreza Prem 4d
Dark Grey Metallic

Make sure the parking brake isn't pulled in the slightest. Even one notch can turn them off. I only have the 15...But noticed that correlation and imagine the 17s might be similar in nature.

Edit: also, headlights probably can't be on. Other than that, ¯\_(***12484;)_/¯

Last edited by supertoast; 02-07-2017 at 06:27 PM.
supertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #55
SubaSue
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462667
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Red

Default Chemical smell - anyone else have this issue?

I have had my 2017 Impreza for a couple of days. There is such a strong chemical smell that I am afraid the garage is going to explode! I did not notice this smell when test driving the car, so wonder if it has to do with the Ziebart rust protection, etc. that I had applied before I picked it up? It is seriously so strong I can smell it inside the house when the car is in the garage. I have driven it 4-5 times thinking it will go away but no so far. It smells like paint or plastic, not sure how to describe it. Anyone else have this issue? Anything to be concerned about?
SubaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #56
vertrkr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460793
Vehicle:
2017 Premium 5 Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSue View Post
I have had my 2017 Impreza for a couple of days. There is such a strong chemical smell that I am afraid the garage is going to explode! I did not notice this smell when test driving the car, so wonder if it has to do with the Ziebart rust protection, etc. that I had applied before I picked it up? It is seriously so strong I can smell it inside the house when the car is in the garage. I have driven it 4-5 times thinking it will go away but no so far. It smells like paint or plastic, not sure how to describe it. Anyone else have this issue? Anything to be concerned about?
Gotta be the spray coating you had put on. I have just the usual new car smell on the inside and the slight assembly lube smell cooking off on the outside that lasted a day or two.
vertrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #57
mipakr
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 302977
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza LTD 5dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianoda View Post
<snip>I wish there was overhead lighting in the back of the hatch instead of the single light on the left side.
Just ordered the LED strip from Diode Dynamics. There may be DIY alternatives but my buddy has this in his Crosstrek and highly recommended the purchase.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/...ategory/1382/#
mipakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #58
KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Couple things I noticed after having to clean the car off a few times due to snow and ice.

1) Windshield washer reservoirs are now under the leading edge of the hood, on the black fascia near the wipers. I like this change a lot. Easier to clean from snow/ice and don't have to worry about scraping the hood clean to expose them (protects paint).

2) Caps that cover the nut that holds the windshield wiper stalk to the car, come off easy. Tapped one a couple times, and pop. Snow got in there, so will have to wait for it to melt to put it back on.

--kC
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #59
pheriwinkle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462938
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Silver

Default 2 days old

After a seven week wait, I got my '17 Impreza Limited, silver, with Nav, HK, and iSight two days ago.

First impressions: at first I thought there were too many screens in the thing. However, I have warmed up to them. It's nice to be able to keep the nav going on one screen and have the music info on another screen, and vice versa.

I played with the lane nudge. At first, it seemed like it wasn't doing anything...I would just glide right out of my lane on the freeway. I checked to make sure that it was on. A couple of tries later, I did feel a slight nudge in the steering wheel, but not enough to keep me in the lane. I'll have to investigate this more over time.

I remember when I test drove, that the build quality seemed a little sub par. For instance, right after driving a '17 Legacy, the '17 Impreza seemed to have flimsier doors. Since getting my own, the build quality seems great. Doors seem solid as well as the drive.

I'm still babying the engine for the break in period, so I'll be curious to see how the acceleration is when I'm more willing to push it, coming from a zippy manual Mazda6.
pheriwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #60
pheriwinkle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462938
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSue View Post
I've had mine for two days. The one I test drove had strong odors, and the salesman told me that new Imprezas are burning off stuff from the factory. Mine smelled bad on the drive home from the dealer when traffic stopped, I really noticed it. I assume it'll be ok soon enough though. Mine only had 17 miles on it when I picked it up.
pheriwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #61
Philimon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 462909

^ Current-gen Mazda6? Those things look niiiice.

For break-in I read that they recommend keeping the revs under 4k for the first 1kmiles.
Philimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #62
KC
Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Couple things I noticed after having to clean the car off a few times due to snow and ice.

2) Caps that cover the nut that holds the windshield wiper stalk to the car, come off easy. Tapped one a couple times, and pop. Snow got in there, so will have to wait for it to melt to put it back on.

--kC
Upon further reflection, the caps have only two very thin prongs that secure it to the stalk, that are away from the main portion that cover the nut. The main portion that covers the nut only has guide tabs to seat it, nothing to secure it to the inner portion of the part that covers the nut.

Just have to be careful around the base of the stalks when clearing the windshield. I barely touched it with the scraper and it broke. Service ordered me a new cover to replace. I'll take pics of them this afternoon to show what happened.

--kC
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #63
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Just picked up my MT yesterday. No complaints so far. Enjoying the short shifter and the active torque vectoring. You can really feel the car pulling you through turns. A little loud on the freeway (could be these tires). Also the tilt on the moonroof whistles cause it doesn't go up very high. Impressed with the sport cloth. Waiting on my dealer to set up the leather and tint. Will keep you all updated.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #64
Stopbreakindown
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 454351

Quote:
Originally Posted by angglev View Post
Just picked up my MT yesterday. No complaints so far. Enjoying the short shifter and the active torque vectoring. You can really feel the car pulling you through turns. A little loud on the freeway (could be these tires). Also the tilt on the moonroof whistles cause it doesn't go up very high. Impressed with the sport cloth. Waiting on my dealer to set up the leather and tint. Will keep you all updated.
Congrats!

Does your sport/5MT have push button start?

I know random, but sales guy couldn't get me the answer when I asked
Stopbreakindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #65
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
Congrats!

Does your sport/5MT have push button start?

I know random, but sales guy couldn't get me the answer when I asked

It does. No key. Just the two key fobs.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #66
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 335265
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Default Pricey Little Buggers

Quote:
Keep track of those keyless fobs! My dealer told me they cost $450+ EACH to replace - yikes!
DriveLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 AM   #67
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Default 2017 Sport Hatch from a 2014

Just swapped my 2014 Sport Limited Hatch for a 2017 Sport Hatch.

Only 50 miles so far, but wow, it's SO MUCH BETTER!! Steering, handling, display/gauges - fantastic upgrades!!

I wish the Sport came with Leather, and I wish there was an extra inch of ground clearance (w/o sacrificing stability). Also, the steering wheel seems smaller in diameter, and I preferred the 2014's for that reason (minor). And, I think the materials used in the 2014 were a bit "beefier"; however, the 2017 is sharp and the driving experience is so much better that all that other stuff is minimal.

I got the moonroof + HK Speakers + BSD package, auto-dim int/ext mirrors, cargo tray, cargo net, mats and am happy with all so far.

Very happy
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #68
blackhawk30
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461488

Quote:

The fobs have emergency keys in them. there is a release button and it drops out from the bottom middle area. I dont think there is a way to start the car with it though, just open the doors.
blackhawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #69
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveLove View Post
Keep track of those keyless fobs! My dealer told me they cost $450+ EACH to replace - yikes!

I was told the same. With the 8 year extended warranty, they'll replace my fobs free of charge.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #70
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveLove View Post
Just swapped my 2014 Sport Limited Hatch for a 2017 Sport Hatch.

Only 50 miles so far, but wow, it's SO MUCH BETTER!! Steering, handling, display/gauges - fantastic upgrades!!

I wish the Sport came with Leather, and I wish there was an extra inch of ground clearance (w/o sacrificing stability). Also, the steering wheel seems smaller in diameter, and I preferred the 2014's for that reason (minor). And, I think the materials used in the 2014 were a bit "beefier"; however, the 2017 is sharp and the driving experience is so much better that all that other stuff is minimal.

I got the moonroof + HK Speakers + BSD package, auto-dim int/ext mirrors, cargo tray, cargo net, mats and am happy with all so far.

Very happy

So happy to read this. I feel the same about the Sport. It's a different driving experience. I've done a lot of modifications to other cars I've owned (lowered, sway bars, control Aram, etc.). The Sport stock is fantastic.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #71
angglev
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza
Crystal White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk30 View Post
The fobs have emergency keys in them. there is a release button and it drops out from the bottom middle area. I dont think there is a way to start the car with it though, just open the doors.

There's a little silver button that releases the key. I'm going to ask the technologist about how to start the car if the push button start doesn't work on Sunday when I meet up with him.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #72
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheriwinkle View Post
I've had mine for two days. The one I test drove had strong odors, and the salesman told me that new Imprezas are burning off stuff from the factory. Mine smelled bad on the drive home from the dealer when traffic stopped, I really noticed it. I assume it'll be ok soon enough though. Mine only had 17 miles on it when I picked it up.
mine also had a burning odor - much more noticeable when stopped. I'm just about 50 miles now and it's fading (but it's cold here, so the windows are usually up, anyway). The "new car smell" / off-gassing inside the cabin is quite strong, however. My 2014 wasn't as bad. Maybe b/c that had leather and this has cloth? (Sport trim no longer has leather as an option)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #73
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Default 17's Pricey Fobs & 14's Soft Rims

Quote:
I was told the same. With the 8 year extended warranty, they'll replace my fobs free of charge.
That's awesome! I paid for the extra "Express 5" insurance that covers dents, windshield nicks, rims, tires, and the fob. He made it sound like loss replacement, not just malfunction. It was an extra $20/month for the 3 year lease. Not cheap, but at $1k/ tire & rim pair + $450+ per fob, and no deductible, it's one less thing to worry about.

My 2014 rims were soft like butter and stuck out beyond the tire. I think each one was rashed, & I'm pretty careful. Never had rims that were so "delicate" before. Hoping the 2017's are better (& I'll sure be a HECK of a LOT more careful!)
Old 02-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #74
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Default Fob FYI

For anyone that has the FOB / Keyless system, be sure to check your manual.

In addition to the "this button does that", "that setting does this" sort of info, there are SEVERAL pages on use + cautions. Like, if you wear a pacemaker, stay away from the numerous antennas, and keep the fob away from other electronics (like a cell phone!!) and don't bang it (um, it's usually carried like a key!), don't let it get too hot or too cold or too wet or near this or that, etc etc.

It mostly makes "common sense", but I'm so used to old cars with simple metal keys, that I have to change my mindset that this is a chip-embedded, radio frequency, computerized device. Oh, and it's $450+ to replace.

Actual convenience / practicality in use is TBD.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:54 AM   #75
DriveLove
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport

Default Starting A Keyless Car, ICE

Quote:
There's a little silver button that releases the key. I'm going to ask the technologist about how to start the car if the push button start doesn't work on Sunday when I meet up with him.
@angglev, there seems to be a NFC-style tap that can be done: http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/133...01BSTIS_14.pdf - section 9-19, page 19.

Other than that, it's time to use that free (included) Roadside Assistance.

Please let us know if the tech says otherwise. Oh, and how can I get a technologist? That sounds cool!